AdamSee

AFF abroad - where would you go?!

If you were a beginner again, where would you want to go abroad to learn to skydive?

With current transport restrictions (no car) and very changeable weather in the UK, I'm not going down to the Langar DZ again, until next year. The plan is to go on holiday earlyish next year (march time - if the weather is good around those times) for the sole purpose of learning to skydive. Coming back at level 8 with plenty of jumps under my belt.

My ideas are for about 10 days holiday in that location in a place which isn't in the middle of nowhere (some nightlife, etc. is good).

Cost isn't too important, I'd much rather pay for a quality DZ.

What do you think to the idea?

Then it is Empuria you seek young Grasshopper
Its got the lot, great scenery, great school instructors, good nightlife in season and sea level so no fast landings.
Also it is very BPA friendly, you will get your BPA A License there with no problems when you come home.

1.618 !

Florida. The weather is wonderful that time of year and the thunderstorms don't start yet. You can get your training done and plenty of jumps in 10 days. The flight over isn't that bad either, only about 8 hours. You could also hit the tunnel while you're here.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean going abroad from England, right?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Glade you asked that question !!!
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but had either Elsinore or Empuria in mind. Friend did Perris last year and said it was a fantastic DZ, but a little intimidating for newbies. He popped across to Elsinore and found the training and people where spot on. Like you, I'm in the UK, so Empuria looks kinda convenient too. I'm planning to redo my AFF as its being 2 years since jumping, but this time aiming to complete the full A'licence in one shot, to avoid the whole 'overseas training isn't as good as ours...your going to have to redo levels XYZ' issue. Sorry got carried away, didn't mean to hijack your tread :$ but would also appreciate any advice.

-------------------------------------------------
Please forgive the sp errors, I have dyslexia. Don't laugh ... the last time i went to a toga party, I went dressed as a goat !!

...but if money no object then get your ass to Perris.

I just racked up a 10k CCard bill there but jumped my ass off and got more tunnel time in than I could handle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10k ....B|:S:o
If your gona do it ....DO IT in style !!!!!!B|

PS.. In relation to my post above .. cost is an issue.:(

-------------------------------------------------
Please forgive the sp errors, I have dyslexia. Don't laugh ... the last time i went to a toga party, I went dressed as a goat !!

Why not see if any UK AFF instructors are going abroad at that time of year? Many UK instructors take groups of students to Spain, France or the states to do AFF.

It means you'll avoid turning up at an unfamiliar DZ alone & you'll have a ready made group of fellow students to party with ;)

Added bonus... When you get back to the UK you can avoid having to repeat levels / do check out dives if your AFF instructor already knows you.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Why not see if any UK AFF instructors are going abroad at that time of year? Many UK instructors take groups of students to Spain, France or the states to do AFF.

Correct... If you jump at Langar, I think DM does the abroad AFF thing... ask around.
Remster

I agree give dave morris a call, i did aff with dave 13 years ago. no one better for getting you through aff.

As regards the states i went to vegas 3 weeks ago and the fingerprint stuff is over exaggerated it took us no longer to get through immigation than before, unless you have something to hide.

good luck

I hear they just built a swwop pond so you will probably get some real good skill in all disciplines..

Im not too sure....hang on...in fact I'm DEFINATELY sure they aint gonna let him get any 'real good skill' using the swoop pond....as an AFF student !!
I think the closest he'll get to it is being chucked in when he gets his 'A';)

Sounds like a good idea to contact Langar DZ and see if any instructors are going. I can learn with others that I'll be skydiving with back home and make some good friends. As it's quite hard to get into the social circle when you only go down every so many weeks!

I was planning on saving up about £2000, but it definately looks like it will be closer to £2500-£3000!

good idea to save enough....

go to empuria brava star....u may find the instruction at abroad will be a lot relax than langar...
i started my AFF course at langar about a year and a half ago, but due to personal reasons decided not to continue it there...looked up on empuriabrava....went there for two weeks...and feel blessed that i chose to go to such a brilliant dropzone.
unlike langar...if you've not skydiving then there is always something to do...great nightlife within walkin distance, great bar people at the airfield, other sports to participate in, great beach and nearby resorts to visit. the instruction there is so relaxed as well compared to langar's militant style...no 'yes, sir, yes' business (if you've jumped with DH!!)

take advantage of empuria's speciall AFF discounts....repeat jumps will start from 95 euros per jump...(its worth it) and the full AFF course is around 1250 euros for january (see there website). the bunkhouse it about 10 quid per night (which is good cause it is nowhere near the standard of the bunkhouse at langar)- the bunkhouse is pretty brand new so you know u will be staying in decent accomodation...
only thing is it can get pretty windy....went out there for two weeks...jumped on 2 days! so give yourself plenty of time out there...

clear skies...

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a huge amount of time there as I do work. About 13 days would be the max, so I'm taking a big risk if the weather is rubbish. That's why I want to goto an area where there is good weather 90% of the year round.

Ah Dave, now I know who he is. He seemed very arrogant towards me, when I asked questions he answered them like I was thick and accused me of thinking I was smart, like all the student types - Funnily enough I'm not student.

He was ok after the initial patronising attacks. I wouldn't know if I'd enjoy going with him though!

theres a group of scottish students goin to lillo on the 27th march, to the 7thapril taking our own aff instructor scotty milne. and loads of experienced people too.

if you want to come, then PM me and ill get in touch about it.

it would mean youd be goin with a group of stdents who know how to party and have fun, and could get your AFF done with a quality instructor and larn to pack etc.

E
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography