KateFluin

Instructor Assisted Deployment vs Accelerated Freefall

Hi, I am looking for some information on Instructor Assisted Deployment, in particular why is this option used over Static Line and what are the advantages/disadvantages compared with the AFF program. Any information people are able to give on their personal experiences would be great in relation to the various safety aspects of Instructor Assisted Deployment.

IAD is comparable to SL, but not to AFF.

The advantages of IAD.

For the student - never needing to transision from student deployment systems to modern sport gear with BOC.

For the DZ - Needing only 1 type of gear makes logistics much easier, and the added safety benefit of the student not being able to put on the "wrong" gear.

Negatives?

The JM needs to be sharp. I often see poor SL contol that would have serious consequences id the student was IAD.

AFF is a world apart, with Instructors with you the whole dive.

Hope this helps,

t
It's the year of the Pig.

IAD is that kind of jump when the BOC in a special packet which is connected to the plane with a static line? This sytem is called static line in Finland. Or soft static line in Hungary. I had some (hard) static line when the body was connected to the plane. I think the first one is better for the equimnent and the plane too.

Safe landings

No. IAD stands for Instructor Assisted Deployment, and has the JM holding the pilot chute during the student's exit.

SL has variants.

Pilot chute assist, where the SL pulls the pin and a spring loaded pilot chute launches. This is nice, unless the student is unstable and grabs/traps the pilot chute. They may die.

Direct bag, where the SL is attached directly to the bag and the student falls away, thus deploying the chute. Safer, but interferes with body position a little.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Any information people are able to give on their personal experiences would be great in relation to the various safety aspects of Instructor Assisted Deployment.

IAD is very similar to static line. The instructor responsibilities are a bit different, as outlined in other replies to your post, but the training aspect is essentially the same.

IAD and Static Line (as opposed to AFF) appeal to students who have limited funds. Each jump is usually a bit less expensive, and although there are more required IAD/SL jumps in most programs, the individual jump costs are more manageable.

IAD and Static Line can also be done from lower altitudes and with less staff, so the programs appeal to dropzones in crappy weather climates, and those with limited AFF staff.

Some students compare static line with tandem programs...In that case, the cost for each jump is usually close to the same, and static line appeals to independent minded students who really want to do it themselves, rather than by being strapped to an instructor.

For more information about these programs in the United States, see the chapter called "Training Programs" in my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. This book is available from many skydiving retailers, at Amazon.com and other online dealers, and in many local bookstores.

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Any information people are able to give on their personal experiences would be great in relation to the various safety aspects of Instructor Assisted Deployment.

IAD is very similar to static line. The instructor responsibilities are a bit different, as outlined in other replies to your post, but the training aspect is essentially the same.

Personally I think IAD is perhaps safer, as the instructor can compensate for students doing inane things like diving between the strut and the wheel, rolling out etc. There's less likelyhood of getting hung up and the plane takes less of a beating. However, the instructor has to be damn sharp! There's a slightly increased risk of taking the tail off the plane apparantly - peeling the students fingers off the strut helps prevent this :)
I definately feel IADs should be done prior to the start of any AFF program - the student must leave stable, chest to relative wind, and have awareness that's normally missing from the first jump. Do you remember your first exit? Mine's a bit of a haze :$.

I'd suggest: 2 IADs, 2 PPCTs (Practise pilot chute toss) or until student is stable and on heading, first freefall. Then you can decide which path to take - freefall progression, or AFF. AFF being more expensive, but certainly very valuable (from high altitude turbines!).

Static-line and Instructor Assisted Deployment are the same from the student's perspective. however, riggers and aircraft mechanics prefer IAD because the gear lasts longer. Both methods are great for teaching canopy control.
AFF is better for teaching basic freefall skills.
The ideal program starts with 2 or 3 IAD jumps followed by a 6 or 8 AFF dives.

I'd suggest: 2 IADs, 2 PPCTs (Practise pilot chute toss) or until student is stable and on heading, first freefall. Then you can decide which path to take - freefall progression, or AFF. AFF being more expensive, but certainly very valuable (from high altitude turbines!).

As a long-time PFF instructor (since 1988), I definitely recommend against students doing PPCTs. They learn to pull and do their practise throws on their first PFF dive. It is far more desirable to have them exit the aircraft relaxed and this is more easily done by having them just exit and not have any other tasks. 2 IADs for some people is ok but 3-6 is more realistic.

IMO
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

That's the way our dz does it. It's more like IAD up to a 5 or 10 second delay, then to AFF 4. I haven't talked to any of the students who have done it yet, but it looks to be about 11 jumps to get off student status.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis