kenneth21441

Skydive Michigan: Marshall, Mi Forced to Close..

hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Skydive Michigan has been forced to close due to the efforts of the airport management. reasons why we still do not know. After many months of rules etc. the word came down this morning. To close and move out by the end of the month.

I hope that all whos been there and knows the operation will call Lynn in support and hopefully we can get this move changed or else we should move on to another location and show those in Brooks Field and the city of Marshall there lose.

Lynn and all the other skydivers have ran a safe operation and has at every opportunity tried to promote avaition within the area.

that is my two cents on this issue...
thanks Ken..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Plenty of incorrect information here .... I just spoke with Lynn and Skydive Michigan is in full operations. They have not been shut down ! They have been asked by the FBO to not use the main restrooms in the hanger.

While it is true that there have been difficulties with the FBO, Lynn is actively working to resolve these problems.

As far as the USPA Airport Defense Fund, Ed Scott helped Lynn to obtain the Premise Liability insurance that the airport required. Mr. Scott did this by pointing Lynn to an insurance carrier that is capable of providing this type of insurance. SM operates at a municipal airport and this insurance is being required of all aviation business' at the airport.

Some things to keep in mind, as jumpers, we probably should not post 'news' concerning an operation without first getting approval from the DZO. Folks should also understand, that there are bounds and limits to what the USPA can do to help a DZO.

I seriously doubt that negative comments about the USPA, based on second hand information concerning Skydive Michigan is productive to the skydiving community or Lynn.

Thanks for the correction!

I seriously doubt that negative comments about the USPA, based on second hand information concerning Skydive Michigan is productive to the skydiving community or Lynn.

If its incorrect information, then sure, but if it is correct information, I think negative comments SHOULD be made about the USPA! From this side of the screen, how can we tell what is what in that case? Well, I know I go out of my way to "police" information about my home DZ here (with the DZO's permission) to make sure nasty rumors don't pop up.

So, short answer is, if something like that does happen/did happen and the USPA didn't do their stated job of working to keep DZs from being kicked off of airports, then the USPA rightly deserves the negative comments. We all pay a lot of money in dues, we should expect more then a sticker and a magazine!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

From this side of the screen, how can we tell what is what in that case?

Then maybe we should refrain from bashing USPA until we know the details.
And if USPA sucks that bad......maybe you should stop supporting it with paying dues. Do tandems at a non-uspa dz....you'll probably make more $$.

Then maybe we should refrain from bashing USPA until we know the details.
And if USPA sucks that bad......maybe you should stop supporting it with paying dues. Do tandems at a non-uspa dz....you'll probably make more $$.

The USPA is little more than a magazine.

In a poll most members said they were members cause they "had" to be to jump at most large DZ's. That makes a pretty fucked up statement about how they due business if most would not be a member if they could avoid it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

In a poll most members said they were members cause they "had" to be to jump at most large DZ's

Well then let the "masses" speak and do away with USPA. I'm sure the FAA will be far less political, more efficient and run the skydiving world a lot better.

btw....where was this poll taken? # of uspa members polled?

Well then let the "masses" speak and do away with USPA. I'm sure the FAA will be far less political, more efficient and run the skydiving world a lot better.

Or raise awareness through media outlets such as Dropzone.com and write letters to your BOD and your Regional Directors.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Or raise awareness through media outlets such as Dropzone.com and write letters to your BOD and your Regional Directors.

Right on! Sounds like a better plan....if most people would spend as much energy on changing something they dislike about uspa as they would bitching about it....it would be a different uspa.

....I bitch to my Regional Director on a regular basis....;) :ph34r:

btw....where was this poll taken? # of uspa members polled?

It was sent out by the USPA...They did a write up about ti back about 6ths ago in "Capitol Commentary"

THEY admittted that it was sad that most joined cause they "Had to"
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334