flygirl03

Madison Wisconsin

Thanks.:)

I think our choices will be limited to Seven Hills or Atmosphair.

We are flying in to Madison Saturday. Im not planning the trip, so Im not sure what our schedule will be like.

Just hoping to get in a jump at a different DZ.

:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Tangentially, there is also a club you can join, the Madcity Skydiving Club. Affiliation with the UW is not necessary, all ages and skill levels welcome. Our home DZ is Skydive Chicago, and we have leapfests 3-4 times a year. Those of you who have experienced a leapfest will know it is a whole planeload (or 10) of fun.

http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~madskydive/

Message me with questions.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

From their website...

IAD
Instructor Assisted Deployment is a training method that opens your parachute almost immediately upon leaving the aircraft. You are never attached to the plane and the deployment sequence is identical to the way experienced skydivers open their own parachutes.

Does this sound like S/L to anyone else? I wouldn't call myself an experienced skydiver, but I'm pretty sure I don't pull "immediately after leaving the aircraft". But they claim you're not attached. So what is this, a hop and pop with your instructor pulling for you? Anyone know?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

IAD is a standard, USPA-recognized training method. Students are equipped with BOC throw-out rigs, just like the ones you use at SDC. Before the student climbs out, his or her instructor takes the pilot chute out of the BOC, being careful not to pull the pin as the student gets into position. As the student leaves, the instructor tosses the pilot chute.

So:
-- the student is never attached to the airplane with a static line
-- but the student does get almost immediate deployment, similar in speed to static line
-- using a system identical to the one experienced jumpers use.

Mark

You can always come and see us at Sky Knights in East Troy, WI. We just got our caravan for the summer and it is nice! We're about an hour and a half southeast of Madison. It will be worth the drive though. Hope to see you there.

Yep, sure is ;)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka