beavdog

COLLIGIATES AT ELOY

OK all, here's the deal:

Entry fees are up to $120 now PER COMPETITOR for collegiates, and everyone i've talked to about it is disgusted. Does your school's club have $480 just for entering a 4-way competition?? Skydive Marana is 20 miles down the road from Eloy, and they're offering deals that equal +/- $5 A JUMP!!!!

I don't want to be "that guy", but here it is:

SCREW ELOY FOR NATIONALS -- LET'S ALL GO TO MARANA AND HAVE OUR OWN COMPETITION SANS USPA. They haven't looked out for the little guy on this one. Period. End of story.

This isn't going to get any better for us if we don't make a statement. We'll all have a great time at Marana and get TONS more jumps than we would at Eloy. Since it's so close, we won't have to change travel plans that much....A Good number of collegiates are already planning on going to marana, so....WHO'S WITH ME?

A.T. Clinger
Founder,
National Collegiate Skydiving Association

well, if we're going to go to have fun, let's all do it at marana at a HUGE discount...
I mean, we're going all that way anyway...

$13 a jump with a $25 boogie entry fee, or 5 days of unlimited jumping for $250...i'm not an economics major, but DAMN!!! that's a good deal:P

Coolidge also offers $13.00 jumps and is using the SDA Porter. Marana is a nice place to jump, but keep in mind that if there are alot of folks going you'll be waiting a bit to get on loads.
As for the entry fees for competition they were posted in October. If you think those are expensive.....try paying the fees for World Cup, or Worlds. Just so you are aware, the entry fees in synchronized swimming are vastly more than that of skydiving, and although I can empathize with you, it is always about choices.
I hope that you would at least come on out to Eloy to meet some of the other DZ.commers. I for one would enjoy meeting you.
Cheers!
B^2

Aircraft: rocket 100 (fast, and holds 18 jumpers)
there is no catch. I spoke with the DZO on the phone the other day. hey have a number of different plans ranging from $250 for 5 days of unlimited jumping to a plan for one single day.
They have hot showers and all the facilities we'd need...they are familiar with collegiate nationals as well, since they have held it there before.

This was someone's DZ rating that was listed from April about Marana:

"I was there for a boogie and was very unhappy. Lots of things promised that didn't exist. Aircraft (caravan) never showed up (or was ever even planned probably), the RV slots they advertise don't exist, the King air that will "give Mullins a run for it's money, and do 10 min turn arounds" was doing all of 9 mins to 9 grand (granted there were clouds, but the clime rate was super porter fast...not even in the ball park of Mullins). having people landing 3 differnt ways in zero wind (most days out there)at 2000ft. in a tight landing area isn't fun or cool to see. LOTS of near misses."

AT,

I talked with you over email and I fully agree with you. The prices are way too high! I understand the military academies get a lot of money for their jumps, registration, etc. Someone on rec.skydiving believes they should get that payment b/c they are serving the country, "smart", etc. I don't agree with this guy on that fully. But anyway, even if they are getting supplemented with money, we should should be subsidized quite a bit too. In fact, I think the registration fee should be LESS than the $40 nationals registration fee. After all, we are college students! I know that I can't afford $120 + jumps + flying + food + everything else under the sun even though I am making more money now as a graduate student. USPA doesn't seem to care about us the way they should. Then again, we make up a miniscule amount of the skydiving population.

In addition to this, I believe whole heartedly (as per your suggestion) that we should organize a national organization for collegiate skydivers. We should have more regional competitions similar to NSL's matchups. This way, more collegiate teams could participate and more people would realize there is more to do with the club after you completed all of the AFF levels. I personally think that the board of directors have us so down on their priority list, that they may not take notice to our wants and needs. But, remember, persistance (by the majority of collegiate skydivers, not only a few) will allow us to obtain our goal.

Blue Skies, Soft Landings,
Lewis
D-25265
Maryland Skydiving
D-25265

I couldn't agree with you more, Lewis. It's ridiculous to expect normal college students to be able to afford all this. I know skydiving is an expensive sport, but they're taking expense to a whole new level with this ridiculously high registration fee. This was the main reason why the Collegiate Boogie was first organized 5 years ago...more partying and better jumps at the boogie too!
Cmnorris (Christina) and I were originally going to Eloy for the Collegiates, but once we found out about the costs, we decided to just go for their Holiday Boogie.

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

I think what they should do is lower the registration fee (even lower than what the event would cost) and let the collegiate skydivers perform and improve. This way, the future of skydiving would only get better. Moreover, USPA should cover the tab for the left over cost of the event of the collegiates. Yes, numerous people in USPA may be upset, but recall that college students make up a miniscule amount of USPA. Therefore, the loss would be insignificant and the college students would be able to compete. The actual jump prices should be regular price plus 1/4 of the camera man's slot. Or the price should be set at a specific number (a reasonable one) and you have as many jumps as necessary at that flat price...somewhat like the unlimited jumping boogies at a specific price.

The registration fee is just absolutely ridiculous for us to afford. It is kind of as if they are purposely segregating the entire nation (colleges) from competing against the military academies. After all, our tax dollars pay for the military academies to jump, while we are grounded with no funds to pay for the collegiates.

When determining the prices for next year's collegiates, they should put theirselves in a college student's shoes. They must realize that we don't even make half as much money as someone who is working full-time after college.

As for the Southeast Boogie you and Christina are hosting at U. Florida, it is sure to be a blast. Everyone from our club is really looking forward to it...except for the 12 hour drive each way. I sure hope that in addition to the FL, GA, SC skydivers, more colleges from further away come to the boogie. That way we could have a more diverse group of collegiate skydivers and it will be more fun...not as if it would not be fun in any case.

Blue Skies, Soft Landings,
Lewis
D-25265