rapper4mpi

Ship Rig FedEx Vs. Carrying on flight?q

Has anyone out there had any experience with shipping their rigs via FedEx to their destination DZ? It would cost me about $35 to ship my Cypres equipped rig from Vermont to Florida (well worth the cost, if i can avoid any possible problems at the airports). I spoke with SSK today, have done all the research and basically it all amounts to this: problems at area airports and airlines is hit or miss, and COULD result in not getting to where you want to be, not a risk I want to take. Of course, shipping FedEx has its risks too... Any thoughts out there? Thanks.
-Rap

I UPSed a couple of rigs once. Had no problems. I've also never had a problem at an airport. I fly once or twice a month with one or two rigs. I put them in a hard case and check them. With the new regulations, I always wait until after my bag has been screened to make sure it gets re-locked.

The big advantage UPS or Fedex has over the airline is the insurance.

For the $35 savings, I'm foolish enough to take the risk.

When I was working at Deland there where quite a few people that used to do that...My personal feeling on the situation are this: my rigs are my babies. They are my source of income and they continue to save my life on a daily basis...never let them out of your site!!! If it takes an extra bit of hassle carrying them on, its worth it to know that they are safe. I have never had any problems with airport security...yet. Take it with you. JMHO

It might be the way to go if you don't like your rig to be hit with gamma rays these days. The energy from the sunlight is fairly low energy (long wave length) whereas the latest scanners use very high energy pulses. The inquisitive scan at the airport is like leaving your gear in the sunlight while you go have lunch.

I used t work for UPS... Don't think for a minute that your gear isn't hit with gamma and xrays there. They are. Also.... it is subject to being opend and sniffed by dogs if there is a hint of the smell of dope.

So, I would keep it with you. Atleast you will be able to see what is being done to it.

Chris

I work for FedEx....for 11 years...

FedEx does not have Xray machines.

We do have Customs and Drug sniffing dogs, but not Xrays.

We also can open packages that we feel we need to.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334