HeatherB

Night jumps

But what would we say about Neil Armstrong if he messed up the landing approach, crashed the Lunar Lander, and disabled it?

As I'm certain you're aware, he came damn close to doing just that. He damn near ran out of fuel.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>There is NO skill requirement on the night jump for the "D".

I would argue that successfully completing a night jump requires some skill, as does any extraordinary jump.

USPA does not define "successful completion" except, implicitly, that you live to log the jump. Does it take any skill to exit unstable, tumble out of control, deploy at the wrong altitude, get lost, crash land off the DZ and injure yourself? But you can still log it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Does it take any skill to exit unstable, tumble out of control, deploy
> at the wrong altitude, get lost, crash land off the DZ and injure
> yourself?

You're going in circles, John. I'll say "but training is required for a night jump" and you'll say "but they could ignore it" and I'll say "but they could ignore every bit of training they ever got" and you'll say "if they ignore it why should we require it" and we'll be back at the beginning, and that's not really that useful. See you later.

>Does it take any skill to exit unstable, tumble out of control, deploy
> at the wrong altitude, get lost, crash land off the DZ and injure
> yourself?

You're going in circles, John. I'll say "but training is required for a night jump" and you'll say "but they could ignore it" and I'll say "but they could ignore every bit of training they ever got" and you'll say "if they ignore it why should we require it" and we'll be back at the beginning, and that's not really that useful. See you later.

Disagree. Can you tell me another license requirement at any level where once training has been received, there is no evaluation whatever of the trainee's performance in that area? If you do water training with a B candidate, and they have to be rescued from drowning, do you sign them off?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Disagree. Can you tell me another license requirement at any level where once training has been received, there is no evaluation whatever of the trainee's performance in that area? If you do water training with a B candidate, and they have to be rescued from drowning, do you sign them off?

You're absolutely right. I'll begin lobbying for an amendment to the D license requirements (see below)

e. made two night jumps (one solo and one in a group) with a freefall of at least 20 seconds

(1) with verification of prior night jump training from a USPA Instructor

(2) with the advice of an S&TA, in accordance with USPA BSRs

(3) and performing a stand-up landing within 20 meters of a predetermined target.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

(3) and performing a stand-up landing within 20 meters of a predetermined target.

That would injure a lot of skydivers.

It's far safer to have them not all trying to land in the exact same spot -- especially at night.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

do you realize your speaking to a man that can literally "fly circles around you?"

1) which post of my many are you replying to?

2) are you talking about you? IF so....christ.... did you REALLY just try to turn this into a pissing contest??

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I also would like to know who you are talking to?

As soon as you think your a big dog.....a bigger dog bites you.

Its why I don't talk shit anymore.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

It's far safer to have them not all trying to land in the exact same spot -- especially at night.

Well then don't make it the same spot for everyone.

That would injure a lot of skydivers.

acutally i agree with this.... apparently my sarcas didn't come through in that last post... it was merely possibly solution to kallen's issue of there being no performance standards by which to judge night jumps.

I also would like to know who you are talking to?

you Ron...why? J/K

heh.. i HOPE you were kidding.. between ron's zillion jumps and how deserving he is of tunnelwhore.com, i think he'd be the one circling both of us put together :P

on our bellies, at least *smirk*

between ron's zillion jumps and how deserving he is of
tunnelwhore.com

I don't have a zillion jumps (I don't even know how many damn zeros that would be?)

And I am not on the running for Tunnelwhore....

I will not be able to reply tomorrow from 7-9...I'll be coaching in the tunnel. (That last comment really didn't help me did it?)

i think he'd be the one circling both of us put together

on our bellies, at least *smirk*

Yeah, as soon as I think I have a clue to skydiving...I go grab a 100 jump freeflyer, and have him make me feel stupid.

Oh well...It's not my bag.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334