PhreeZone

Using NSL as a business?

I was wondering how many times people have ran across instances of DZ's saying that they will not let teams go to other DZ's to compete or try to use things such as the NSL as business limiters? I recently heard that all the NSL meets in my area are going to be held at one dropzone since they have the majority of the RW teams and their teams have a history of not going to other DZ's to compete. Last year 3 DZ's hosted NSL meets and I enjoyed seeing throw together groups get intersted in 4 way after seeing a meet, but now it sounds like only one DZ is going to have meets since they can't commit their teams to other DZ's. Does anyone know just how many teams are required to host an NSL meet?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone-- feel free to email Kurt Gaebel ([email protected]) about this issue, he is the NSL President, and runs www.skyleague.com. He obviously knows all the ins and outs of the NSL rules, so you can get into more detail with him. I actaully went to him last year with a problem-- he did all he could, and the problem was resolved in a coulple of weeks-- Kurt rocks. Post what you find out if you can-- I'm interested to hear the outcome of this.
Thanks,
Mel

Event Date Host

FSL 2003 Season Opener 01/18/2003 Skydive Sebastian
FSL Season Meet 2 02/22/2003 Skydive Lake Wales
FSL 3 Shamrock Showdown 2003 03/15/2003 Skydive DeLand
FSL Season Meet 4 04/26/2003 Skydive DeLand
FSL Season Meet 5 05/24/2003 Skydive City
FSL Season Meet 6 06/28/2003 Skydive DeLand
FSL Season Meet 7 07/26/2003 Skydive Space Center
FSL Championship 2003 08/23/2003 Skydive DeLand

That is the current schedule for the FSL meets. I don't believe it's a big money making thing for anyone in particular regarding the location of the meets. I believe its because of all the teams that currently train at SD Deland. It just seems to make it MOST convenient for most teams to go there instead. Is it fair to the other dzs? Depends. The whole thing about the NSL going to different dzs was based on the dz having a 4-way team. If the dz did not have a 4-way team, they did not host an FSL meet.
BUT, i remember competing at Pahokee last year and it was a riot!! One team didn't even belly fly and they competed. that was awesome!! I think they should've won just because they had the balls to enter it. :) Their name escapes me, but they rocked!! I think they even got 1 or 2 points on one of the dives. :)

I personally think that SD deland has a great environment for 4-way. they have several mock-ups, they have more than 1 creeping area, and it works pretty efficiently.
Kurt really does bust his ass to make the NSL work. If you guys think he's making money hand over fist, you're wayyyyyyyy off base. Kurt runs that entire thing ALONE. He IS the NSL. If people want to help make it better, then maybe volunteer to help him out a bit. he could surely use it. So my guess is that the meets being held at SDD is a matter of efficiency, not $$. I don't think it's a matter of the dz "not allowing" their teams to compete elsewhere.

on that note, good luck to all the teams that will be competing at the Shamrock Showdown this weekend. There are some nice prizes from what i can tell.

blues,
arlo

Arlo, I think this year might be somewhat special with the next world meet being out of Porters - and DeLand has those. Not sure though, just a thought.

DeLand is a great DZ for training + competition though - this weekend will be fun!!! :)
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

First of all, I doubt if anyone is getting wealthy off NSL.
Secondly, short-sighted DZOs that try to tell their home teams when they can and cannot compete soon shoot theirselves in the foot. The whole point of Perris Valley sponsoring teams (i.e. Perris Valley Maubooge) is advertising to get the name of Perris Valley Skydiving out there and the Conatser family want young jumpers to identify Perris Valley Skydiving with a team that medaled at the last competition.
You can only "spread the word"/advertise if you allow teams to travel to competitions at other DZs.