bigbearfng

Cutaway procedures change?

I'm surprised that a manufacturer would give someone with 15 jumps a demo rig that didn't have an RSL option at least. But what do I know?

This was from Square One-as I understand it, they recently got a waiver for no rsl's due to the many differnet gear combo's they put together/incompatability?
As to the Q about student status and using demo gear-I've graduated from aff, now I must rent gear, and prefer to find something comfortable before buying while I finish the requirements for A license.
The beer...the rigger who packed the reserve doesn't drink! So I bought her jump tickets instead!
Oh yea-the last thought before cutting away-"I don't want to start dicking with this and then find it's too late."
Thanks for all the replies-after reading here, and much more thought (hell, havn't thought about much else since!), I figure I shouldn't try to relearn; I did find the handles-and I'll work on more practice!!
Thanks again!

>

Minuses of one hand per handle:

-If it's a hard pull on your cutaway handle you're in trouble; you now have to change your procedure in the middle of a mal

I was taught on the one hand per handle method. However, on my cutaway (jump # 70) - the line twists were so severe that the risers were twisted up behind my head - pinning my head down, that when I used one hand, I got nothing - so I had to use both hands.
Then, I started practicing like that - use the one hand method, do a proper cut and pull. However, I also practice the one hand method, can't cut, use two hands, pull.
I have since had another mal where, again, two hands were needed due to the severity of the twists...or maybe I'm a wimp, I don't know, but I had my head pinned down where my helmet left a nice mark in my upper chest - but I just couldn't cut with the one hand.
So, I practice both senarios all the time. I intend to use one hand per handle, but I know what to do if I can't.
I'm not saying learn both methods - I'm saying be prepared.
Since we were taught the one hand per handle method, the only way I knew about the two hand method was from the BreakAway video I watched. I'm sure I would have figured it out, but seeing that helped.

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

i tried. i really tried to read the whole thread. really!

two hands. you say you did have a bit of a time finding second handle, but i am guessing the gear was new to you. good for you for living.

grab the handle with both hands and pull the fuck out of it. then use one hand and arm to strip it all the way out. it might be dirty, it might be clogged. dont fuck around with it.

then grab the other one and repeat, for the same reasons.

just my opinion.

glad you aint ded.
namaste, motherfucker.

i was taught on my recent course this procedure. its BPA approved

LOOK (for both Cutaway & reserve handles)

LOCATE (Both handles, with both hands)

PEEL ( The cutaway handle upwards away from the velco attactment)

PUNCH (With the cutaway handle in your hand punch downwards)

PULL (They reserve, your hand should still be on it)

ARCH (into stable position for the reserve canopy to deploy)

Dunno if this will help, but its standard practice all British Army BPA affilliate DZ's. the guy who taught me is a vet with over 4000 jumps, so i trust him.

Chaos is always found in greatest abundence wherever order is being sought. Chaos will always triumph over order, because chaos is always better organised.