ChunkyT

Handicapped Skydiving

Has anyone heard of or know of methods that would allow someone with a disability to skydive? My best friend has spinabifida and has limited control of his legs below his hips, and no feeling below the knees. If there's anything out there for him, please let me know, cause he needs to jump. Thanks

Chad
Boston, MA

We are creatures of the air, Our roots in dreams And clouds, reborn In flight.
-Salmon Rushdie

A tandem jump might well be possible; this is where your friend would go out on a dual harness attached to a jumpmaster. Any of the dropzones in the area should be able to either do that, or refer you to a dropzone that can.

That's assuming that your friend's bones aren't too brittle, and that he's not too heavy, etc. Call the dropzone, and ask for a few minutes of their time. Local New England jumpers will have more specific information about dropzones if your friend also lives in Boston.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Will do. There are tons of dz's around New England, so I shouldn't have trouble finding one that might be able to accommodate. Thank you for your help:)
Chad
Boston, MA

-Salmon Rushdie

I've been jumping for 30 years, and have seen many cases of people with serious problems, and they still jumped. I remember a guy in Oregon who had no legs below the hip joint, and many other varieties of physical difficulties. Just check around and I bet you can get him in the air.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Has anyone heard of or know of methods that would allow someone with a disability to skydive?... If there's anything out there for him, please let me know, cause he needs to jump. Thanks

Check with several of the local drop zones. Make sure they have experience with handicapped jumping, and ask them if they have read a booklet distributed by The Relative Workshop called Tandem Guidelines for Skydiving with Wheelchair Dependent Persons.

Tom Buchanan
Author, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Ok... so since you're on the topic. And not to hijack a thread, but I've got a friend in a similar situtaion. He's wheelchair dependent at the momemt (leukemia complications). I hope he can get his legs functional again sometime, but it looks like a long road from here if it happens at all.:(
It seems to me that people with no legs have less trouble or are less trouble to jump with then those without control of theirs. He's about 6'5" last time he was standing. I keep invision his legs flopping around in the breeze being a problem for the TM. He has excellent upper body strength and almost perfect control there. What do you do about his legs? In freefall? On landing? a body suit or something to let him lift his legs with his arms on landing?
matt

There are a number of ways to bind legs that don't work. Quadriplegics have jumped with both arms and legs bound.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

spinabifida and has limited control of his legs below his hips

There was a guy who was a parapalegic(sp?) a few weeks ago that did a tandem. On landing the guy held his legs up under the knees with his hand and there were 2 other guys on the ground to assist by supporting some of the guys weight. It was really cool. I didn't know how they were going to do it but it went off without a hitch. I love seeing that kind of stuff.

Ed

A tandem is a pretty good option like everyone has said above but....
Quite a few years ago now i think a paraplegic man wanted to skydive.. not do a tandem. apparently major upper body strength and he rode a motorbike and all that kinda stuff. Well anyway it was arranged that he could do a S/L jump over water with a boat crew etc. Not sure if you are able to find anyone to arrange such a think but just an idea.

The Australian Parachute Federation have published guidelines for doing tandems with mobility challenged students.
I have done a few tandems with mobility challenged students. It is a lot of extra work for the instructor.
Yes it helps if the students' knees and ankles are Velcroed or taped together and the student can grab his knees and use his arms to lift his feet before landing.

Hell there is a girl that came to Perris W/spinabifida and a shit load of tandems. One of them was like a 10 way. She has a restricted A license, ans even bought her own used Tandem Rig from the school. Now she can jump anywhere she goes. While I lived in Washington I shot video of two different Quadrapeligics (sp). No reason why she can't jump!
Dom

Chad: If I may put both my skydiving hat and my physical therapist hat on - here is my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

We have had several paraplegics and other neurologically challenged folks do tandems. We have a simple way to strape their legs in so not to be a problem and more injoyable for all. No injuries, no problems, just lots of safe fun.

However, spina bifida is different. A quad or para has a STABLE spine. By either nature or surgery.
Here is the definition of Spina Bifida by the Spina Bifida Association of America

Spina bifida, the most common NTD, is one of the most devastating of all birth defects. It results from the failure of the spine to close properly during the first month of pregnancy. In severe cases, the spinal cord protrudes through the back and may be covered by skin or a thin membrane. Surgery to close a newborn's back is generally performed within 24 hours after birth to minimize the risk of infection and to preserve existing function in the spinal cord.

Because of the paralysis resulting from the damage to the spinal cord, people born with spina bifida may need surgeries and other extensive medical care. The condition can also cause bowel and bladder complications. A large percentage of children born with spina bifida also have hydrocephalus, the accumulation of fluid in the brain. Hydrocephalus is controlled by a surgical procedure called "shunting" which relieves the fluid build up in the brain by redirecting it into the abdominal area. Most children born with spina bifida live well into adulthood as a result of today's sophisticated medical techniques.

I'm guessing your friend is not a severe case. Just the same, the big question is how stable is the bony spine structure surrounding the spinal column on your friend?
On an exposed spinal column, dropping a quarter from 10 inches above is enough force to permanently paralyze an individual.
I would hate to land wrong, arch too hard, twist too much the wrong way. With the quads and para's we have jumped with, all have landed with a butt slide. Sometimes that slide is a bump before a slide. Meaning a shock through the tail bone into the spine. Not a problem if your spine is stable.

These are thoughts I am sure your friend can think about and answer himself. If he jumps - enjoy the hell out of it and have a great time. If he doesn't - enjoy the hell out of life and each day it brings you!

Thank you so much for the response. My friend and I will definitely contact his doctor about the strength of his spine. Just curious, were the para and quads jumping solo or tandem? Thanks again.

Chad
Boston, MA

-Salmon Rushdie