SkydiveMonkey

Tracking / vertical speeds

Andy 2 : I have one photo that was actually a newspaper shot, and I have three rows of the frames from the 16mm film showing the instruments. I'll get Skypuppy to send it in so you see it, as I have a scanner, but its not hooked up yet. I really wish USPA hadnt lost it because I considered it very informative, but it may have been "lost" because of who sent it it .....if ya know what I mean.

Andy: I looked in one of my 2 three inch thick albums, and located the clips from the 16mm film. I dont think they would reproduce very well, as they are now prints about 35mm in size from the original 16mm negativ roll of film. With a magifying glass, I can read them, but it wouldnt be possible to do so through scanning them. The newspaper photo of the helmet etc, can be seen on the web site that Rop Price established, just by going on web and punching up "Bill Cole Skydiver" and follow the links. The photo is about half way through the site on the right side. You can see the pitot tube hanging off the right side of my helmet, but its hard to make out the camera and instruments. I sent some of the original negative roll to USPA with the article, and in the past 32 years, the rest have gone the way of the passenger pigeon...extinct. I would like to do another one from high up, and have police radar try to pick up the speed as I come to earth.I figure I had a certain amount of drag with the front mount treserve and the thicker back pack too. I correct my quote of the top speed...itwas 222 MPH, and is written beside the print photos in my album. Sorry I cant get them on the site for ya.....Bill Cole D 41 Canada

Because the human body has a L/D of less then one, your vertical speed is a little faster in a track. In a track use that extra speed to move vertical. Sparky

Wrong answer (no offence pleaseB|). Proper body position in a flat track creates more lift that a stable belly to earth arch. Therefore, the vertical speed in flat track is slower! :P

Minimum altitude per each protrack had to be 2000 to qualify.

The guy with booties tracked to his deployment altitude. The guy without booties track to around 4500 ft and pulled. Extra 13 seconds must have been difference between 4500 and 2500 foot deployments.

Blue skies,

Jim