mccordia

2 new skydiving (world) records...

Weeeee!!!
30 (mostly girls) from my home DZ have taken bacl 2 world-records previously owned by our club!!!

Translated from the Dutch news:

The worldrecord jumping with as many people as possible from a balloon is in Dutch hands again.

Twenty daredevills from Paraclub Flevo in lelystad acomplished this above Markelo, Overijsel (Netherlands) by jumping from the worlds largest hot-air balloon.

The record was held by sixteen britts untill this day.

Around seven this morning the record was set, after the skydivers had taken off around six in the morning.

They had opted for this early time because the attempt would only work in a calm atmosphere.

After the record was set another 10 skydivers jumped from the same balloon. 30 skydivers jumping from the same balloon was also good for another world-record.

According to chef-instructor Bob Draaijer from paraclub flevo, the conditions for making the mass-jump where perfect, and the jump was excecuted perfectly. The fear that clouds would spoil the attempt never became reality. For the record, they selected all the lightest members of the club, so the balloon would not lose too much weight after all the skydivers had jumped.

the Britts will not get their record back for a while. To better the dutch record they would need the biggest balloon in the world. "And we own the biggest on at the moment" according to Bob Draaijer. A Swedish company did order a bigger balloon recently, but it wil be a while before it becomes available. And if the record ever gets broken, they'll just give it another try.

Click the attached Realvideo file to see a (dutch) report on the jump.
It was on TV and in the newspapers a lot, and almost all reports only focused on the cool/fun aspect...no 'death/stunt/sensation' reporting...while you would say that something like this would be easy to sensationalize (but I gues it was already sensational enough).

It made frontpage news in the dutch newspapers..:)

Congrats to all those <65 kg people who made the jump...and a reminder to my 80 kg ass to lose some weight :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

streams.ram

balloon.jpg

A small update, there's a good quality video online now at the dutch news-archive..

Incredibly cool to see (and hear)
You can just feel the enthousiasm and atmosphere when watching this....wayyyy cool!

http://www.rtl.nl/system/media/html/ffffff/actueel/rtlnieuws/2003/05_mei/10/media/streamcase_20030510_1836-ballon_parachutereco.xml?media_bandwidth_preference=364&template=%2Factueel%2Frtlnieuws%2Fvideo_template.html
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?