NoShitThereIWas

Final draft of Physics term paper

Very nice presentation. Well Done. There are a couple of grammer errors however (I don't know if that's important or not, but I thought I'd mention it).

Oh..and ref' your signature, it would read better as 'skydiving is not for you' (IS is missing) :0)

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I wasnt trying to be rude, but, those are the facts, you are way under the prop blast the second you jump out, no matter what your jump number is..

Not necessarily true. I have video showing me at or above the level of the door for at least a second, surfing the "prop blast" aka relative wind out to the wingtip of an Otter, during an exit as 1st floater on a 10-way speed exit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Jumprunner and Shark, take it to the pm's please. It would be a shame for Jen's thread with her paper on it to be sent to the recycling bin because you guys aren't in agreement on a few things.

Jen, great paper! I think it's great in itself that you're even taking a physics class. That subject was always beyond me, I stuck to the business school where it was easy. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I wasnt trying to be rude, but, those are the facts, you are way under the prop blast the second you jump out, no matter what your jump number is..

Not necessarily true. I have video showing me at or above the level of the door for at least a second, surfing the "prop blast" aka relative wind out to the wingtip of an Otter, during an exit as 1st floater on a 10-way speed exit.

Count me out! Thats really crazy. How did you do that, Id like to hear the details. Not that I dont believe you, just wondering how you did that.

NoShitThereIwas:
I recommend you read the Body Pilot book written by Carl Nelson. He makes several references to the prop blast and exit transition. Maybe after reading it you will understand.
Ill check it out.

Jumprunner and Shark, take it to the pm's please. It would be a shame for Jen's thread with her paper on it to be sent to the recycling bin because you guys aren't in agreement on a few things.

Jen, great paper! I think it's great in itself that you're even taking a physics class. That subject was always beyond me, I stuck to the business school where it was easy. :P

This guys got me burning up, but Ill follow the rules and say no more. Its obviously something that needs to be dealt with in the ocean and not on a skydiving forum.

Count me out! Thats really crazy. How did you do that, Id like to hear the details. Not that I dont believe you, just wondering how you did that.

Background first.
The objective in 10-way speed is to complete a formation in the minimum time, where all the skydivers start behind a line drawn on the floor of the plane. It typically takes 2 - 3 seconds to get 10 people through the door (if you're well practised) so there's a lot of separation to make up. The base is generally in the middle of the lineup and the first out (floaters) come up to it, while the divers come down to it, hopefully converging at around the the same time. Anyhow, the first through the door has about a 1.5 second deficit to make up in order to dock on the base.

I start scrunched into the back corner of the cabin on the starboard (opposite the door) side. My exit involves a flying leap through the door, pushing up and forward hard as if trying to hit my head on the rear of the wing right behind the prop. I come through the door already in a tracking position into the relative wind (so head is higher than feet, hands by side, chest cupped, legs straight) and generate lift from the prop blast. The combination of lift and the flying leap keeps me up there for about a second. It's not unusual for me to end up above the base, although that is not optimal.

Pics attached - I'm the one on the left, in black, should give you the idea. Notice how little altitude I lost between the pics.

Edited to add pics.

Dsc00093.jpg

Dsc00090.jpg

Dsc00088.jpg

Totally fucking amazing!!! This is cool, now you got me going.

The objective in 10-way speed is to complete a formation in the minimum time, where all the skydivers start behind a line drawn on the floor of the plane.
So this is like a speed star. How long does it take you to learn that? Diving down to the base and breaking on time, without smashing into someone, seems pretty difficult.

Okay, heres what turns me on. In the movie Cutaway, the way the divers exit the skyvan. They go out initially in "bungie jumping position", that is, out head first, arms forward, then they are almost on thier back for a second, then go forward into tracking position.

Thats what I wanna do! How hard is that? Ill fucking do it too, cause when it really gets down to it, I dont give a shit, and Ill do it. After a lot more training ofcourse, right now Im just talking. I know if I tried that now Id go tumbling all over the place.

Not that I want to do a speed star, that I think takes daily practice, ect., I just want to learn how to exit like that.

I saw that and the other two pics, didnt know you could be held up in the prop blast like that. Is it pretty difficult to maintain that position?
so head is higher than feet, hands by side, chest cupped, legs straight
Nope, dont think I could get that position, just tried it & my back didnt appreciate it.

Yes, it's true, that's the professor (maybe that should be his DZ.com handle instead) in the pics at our DZ above the level of the plane's floor AFTER EXIT.

Secondly, considerable license with drama and physics was taken in Cutaway. Having everyone dive out in the same direction, in many kinds of formations, works but is not always efficient or always the safest for the objective.

I think the biggest example of "license" in the movie was when we see the two prime characters sitting on the tailgate with NO RIGS ON in flight. No real jumper would try a dumbass thing like that without some kind of belt or rig on.:S
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Okay, heres what turns me on. In the movie Cutaway, the way the divers exit the skyvan. .

Ignore everything you saw in Cutaway. I picked up a legit copy for less than the cost of a blank tape. That suggests the movie itself has negative value.

Okay, heres what turns me on. In the movie Cutaway, the way the divers exit the skyvan. .

Ignore everything you saw in Cutaway. I picked up a legit copy for less than the cost of a blank tape. That suggests the movie itself has negative value.

Replying to the last two:
Maybe so, its a movie and I wouldnt take it for its face value, but, can you dive out like they were doing? Bungie style.

Replying to the last two:
Maybe so, its a movie and I wouldnt take it for its face value, but, can you dive out like they were doing? Bungie style.

Yes, if appropriate.

I read this pretty quickly so sorry if I may missed some topics. I'm not sure if you would want to get into this but one thing I would add concerning body position, especially conerning belly flying, is the the low pressure area above you (burble) that allows you to maintain a belly-to-earth position. Someone somewhere gave the example of a shuttlecock. Also why you want to present to the relative wind when exiting. Then again, you have your five pages.

In general, pretty comprehensive. It definitely shows you did your homework. Good job and good luck.

especially conerning belly flying, is the the low pressure area above you (burble) that allows you to maintain a belly-to-earth position.

I guess the pressure wasn't low enough on some of the AFF students I've had.:D

Great work Jen, very brave of you to post it here, I expect it will be the most interesting paper submitted from your class, as an ex-highschool-physics teacher (in the UK) some of the stuff students submitted used to send me to sleep, maybe you can get your teacher to come out and do a tandem after he has read it;)