OutOfTheBlue

bifocals causing landing problems?

Greetings, I have about 75 jumps now and am still having lots of trouble with my landings. I am very inconsistent about when to flare and it has caused some very hard landings. Most of the time I don't even attempt to stand them up. My husband says that my best landings are just controlled crashes. I also cannot at all see that "spot on the ground that does not move". Is it my bifocals? Should I get glasses without bifocals for jumping? Anyone else have this problem????

Most definitely get NON-BIFOCALS for use while jumping! The bottom (reading) portion can indeed interfere with your perception of the ground, which if you are are approaching your landing flare altitude with the proper head orientation (looking forward towards the horizon and NOT directly towards just the ground underneath you), SHOULD BE IN YOUR LOWER PERIFERAL VISION. This vision range will be USELESS (or worse) with bifocals on during this time.

It absolutely can be a component of your current landing woes!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Greetings, I have about 75 jumps now and am still having lots of trouble with my landings. I am very inconsistent about when to flare and it has caused some very hard landings. Most of the time I don't even attempt to stand them up. My husband says that my best landings are just controlled crashes. I also cannot at all see that "spot on the ground that does not move". Is it my bifocals? Should I get glasses without bifocals for jumping? Anyone else have this problem????

I have jumped both with and without my bifocals. Can't say I noticed much difference. Mine are the type without lines (continuous focus or something like that).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've jumped with single-vision and with no-line bifocals. When I jumped the bifocals, I found my feet on the ground earlier in the flare than I expected. I'm sure I would adjust to it in a couple of days of jumps -- it was just going between them that bugged me. I'm at about +1.5 on the bifocal correction relative to far vision. It might be more difficult with more of a correction.

Gary

I have jumped both with and without my bifocals. Can't say I noticed much difference. Mine are the type without lines (continuous focus or something like that).

I guess we do have something in common :P
I just got them and never noticed any difference

Getting old sucks!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have jumped with bifocals for 20 years without a problem. Without them I have trouble reading my altimeter. One thing I have found that helps is large lens. This puts the bifocal part lower on my face and I can see over it to see the ground.
Getting old sure does suck, but it beats the hell out of the alternative.:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My perspective as a bifocal wearer -- stick with the bifocals. You need good close vision for altimeters, to deal with toggle problems, etc. You need good distance vision to deal with flying and landing. I had a special pair of glasses made without the bifocal part, and they were not good for the aforementioned reasons.

Learn to lower your head a bit at landing time, so the near vision part of the lens (the lower part) is beneath the point you are looking at. You can also request at the time you have your lenses made, that the lower part be lowered a bit, so the "line" is lower on the lens. I didn't have that done, but my optician asked me if I wanted to.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

My experience with wearing Bifocals and doing anything related to judging distance or height thru the magnifying portion is it really causes problems.When I turned 44, the flight surgeon gave me the bad news.Glasses while flying.It was only +1.25 but I couldn't hover a helicopter while wearing them. I only needed them for reading but the regs said I had to wear them while flying. I went back to him and made it a safety issue and he told me just to have them with me while flying in case I needed them.I'm now +1.75 and I have learned to look under them but I would never consider wearing them while jumping.I was having some problems with the altimeter but have since gotten a ParaSport Alitron that is really easy to read with its graphic representation.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.