Demian

People think we're crazy!! How Come??

Ok, while this story holds some truth, I'm posting this with tongue in cheek.

My best friend and I just started jumping last month in Perris. We went AFF from our first jumps on. Everyone else in our class had at least done tandem jumps previously. So right off the bat people thought we were off our rockers for not at least trying a tandem jump first.

Now, with us at Level 5, we're talking about how we're looking forward to Level 6, where they push us out of the plane..... we were told that MOST people "DREAD" that level...

Also, after only 4 jumps, we're already asking for smaller canopies, and tighter suits.....

I ask you, why do people think we're so crazy?? :S

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

First off, no one should be pushing you out of any airplane unless there is an aircraft emergency.

At our dz, level 6 is a poised exit without the JM holding on.

Level 6 is fun. Most people freak out because no one is holding on to them, but in reality its easier (IMO) to exit and get stable without anyone holding on to you.

Good luck and have fun.

Also, it is too soon to ask for a smaller canopy. Wait til your AFF is done at least until you downsize in canopies.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I haven't gotten to Level 6 yet, so for all I know, the "pushing from the plane" could be a figure of speech, or just meant to be plain humerous.

Either way, it sounds fun... ;)

As far as the smaller canopy, that was more tongue in cheek than anything. Although I do see myself eventually going to something smaller, right now during the AFF training, I use the school's 240 sq.ft. chute, and I'm quite comfortable with that... I'm only 5'7, 145lbs.....

Yes, it's like when they tell you the Level 8 graduation dive is done without a parachute, which they then throw after you and you have to catch and put on in freefall. No one ever repeats that level! ;)

Personally I had the hardest time with level 4 - I passed it OK the first time, but looking over the top of the plane totally freaked me out because I couldn't see the ground at all. It was WIERD. Of course, now I love all kinds of exits... Even though I funnel most of them. :D
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

When I was an AFF student, I took everything literally.

Level 4 and 5 are very similar. If you can pass 4, level 5 should be no problem. 6 and 7 were the funnest for me as a student and now as a jumpmaster.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

[lquote] haven't gotten to Level 6 yet, so for all I know, the "pushing from the plane" could be a figure of speech, or just meant to be plain humerous.

Well, having been through it 2 years ago, they do "push" you from the plane. It's about learning to trust yourself to get stable, and really use the arch. And it's a great way to do it.

Yes, it scared me. yes, afterwards it was fun. Truth is, it was more like a little gentle nudge to get you off balance out the door.

As I've had many "off-balance" exits since then, it's good to know, as Wildblue says, that "trust the position" really works...

Have fun!!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Speaking of "off balance exits", my exit this past Saturday was just that.

I jumped from the Skyvan for the first time. For some reason, being so used to the Otters, I was really nervous about standign RIGHT at the edge of the Skyvan, with nothing behind me but sky, and then being told to "arch, count, and step back". Well, for some reason, with what feels like a 50lb rig on my back, I was sure that if I arched, I was going to fall from the plane.... so as my JM grabbed onto me, I must have grabbed onto him too, because when we stepped from the plane, we rolled and rolled.... I would see ground, then sky, then ground, then sky... :ph34r: Finally the good old arch cleared that right up...

Not the best exit, but it was FUN...

Yes, it's like when they tell you the Level 8 graduation dive is done without a parachute, which they then throw after you and you have to catch and put on in freefall. No one ever repeats that level!

Phew - I'm gald I did RAPS - I don't think I would have passed that level.
;)

Best Exit I ever did was my Unstabel Exit!!!! - Cool!! I assume their is somethign similar in AFF
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

...they do "push" you from the plane.

Oh my gosh, they do? I was pushed (actually...pullled) on my AFF 1. :S It was also my first jump ever (no tandems for me), so I was a little :o at the door! It's sooo funny looking back on that now.

My AFF 4 was a dive out, I believe. It was out of a King Aire, and we couldn't slow it down as there had been some mix up with the flaps. (I don't know the technical terminology as I was still a student when it happened.) Anyhoo, I LOVED IT.

Demian, people definitely DO NOT think that I am crazy, but they do say that I have "balls" for doing an AFF1 as my first jump. I DO NOT have balls, but I know what they mean. Actually, I have been frightened many times, and I probably will be many more times when trying new things in the air. I believe that being truly brave is being scared, but facing your fears, anyway. (Right, Michele?) ;)

Btw, DO NOT DOWNSIZE, until your instructors suggest it. Blue skies!

dave yuou got a problem with spending the whole afternoon in the air???

I don't... in fact clear and pulls from the top - Cross country style (think of a 5 mile + spot) - near sunset are among my favorite jumps. It's cool when the plane beats you back B|B|B|

(another) Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Also, after only 4 jumps, we're already asking for smaller canopies, and tighter suits.....

That depends on your skills and your instructors opinion/advise, when I hit AFF 4, I got my own jumpsuit a TIGHT RW suit because I'm skinny, of course my instructors OK'ed that, and I went from a MANTA 230 to a SABRE2 200, on my level 7 I jumped a SABRE2 170, and I'm still jumping the same canopy, in a few weeks I'll be jumping a SABRE2 150 (new rig on its way).

Now, bear in mind I only weight 140 LB and I ALWAYS ASK THE INSTRUCTORS ABOUT ANY CHANGE I'D LIKE TO MAKE, AND LISTEN TO THEIR ADVISE, also, you have to be confident that you could handle any changes.

Don't rush it, enjoy your AFF, and then polish your skills.

Be safe, have fun.

Vanilla,

Drop me an email when you get the chance. I'd like to hear the comparisons between Perris/Elsinore. I do plan on checking it out soon, since it's literally up the road from Perris. I've only seen Elsinore's website, and the landing area alone on there looks really nice.

My email address is in my Profile, I think... lol

clear and pulls at the top, in a group are good fun... especially if the plane does a flyby!!! but then there is the fact that you can do a clear and pull at the top AND still beat AFF students down to the ground B|

It was only Xmas that i was doing AFF so I remember that I couldn't wait to jump a canopy that would actually 'do something' ;)...

Dave

errr... Demian I don't think that I said the parachute was all that over rated... but I think that I'll refer you to the Birdman forum... that's the place that you MIGHT find someone with similar views on how overated parachutes are :)

go to Elesinore! look, i like Perris, it was my sceond DZ ( over 30 now ), but hey Perris...plant some more F***ing grass! its cheep. when i first got to Perris, people kept asking me if my rig was brand new...nope...just clean...lots of grass equals clean rig, and more importantly...safer landing conditions.

dude, dont go small so fast...i dont care what the people say...canopy time is cool. with that big rig you have plenty of time to plan outs, and avoid swoopers. but it is up to you...i suggest you read some incident reports.

Squirl,

You hit the nail on the head with me.
One thing that needs to be realised about me is that I like to be humerous (or at least try to).

I love canopy time. When I watch the experienced guys, and see how it takes them about 90 seconds from pull time to landing, I say "Not me"... And when I see them doing swoopers 200 feet off the ground and cruising across the landing strip, I have to say "Looks like fun, but not me"....

I have read incident reports. I've found a few websites.... and when all but two or three were caused by swoopers, you guess it, "Not me"...

I certainly will check out Elsinore. Like I said, it does look really nice, but the thing that keeps me going back to Perris is the people.... in the 6 weeks that I've been going there, I've met some of the greatest people I've ever come across. I've no doubt made friends there that will last a lifetime. I hope Elsinore will be no different...