jumper03

Incentive?

What's the incentive to go beyond the A license? The A licences lets me jump by myself, gets me on group jumps, packing myself, etc.

Can anyone make a convincing argument as to why you should get the B, C, D licenses?

(not that I'm NOT going to do it - I just want to hear from the old hands whats so good 'bout the higher ratings).

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Well, that depends on what you wanna do, if you just want to jump out of an airplane, the the A license is sufficient, but, getting into other disciplines (big formations (RW or FF), night jumps, camera work, etc, then you'll need a different type of license.

Read the SIM, you'll find info about them.

If you ever want to compete you will need a minimum of a C license.

If you plan on making beach jumps, most dz's usually require a C or D license.

If you want a rating of any type you will need more than an A license.

If you want to do night jumps, you will need a more than an A license.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

If you ever want to compete you will need a minimum of a C license.

If you plan on making beach jumps, most dz's usually require a C or D license.

If you want a rating of any type you will need more than an A license.

If you want to do night jumps, you will need a more than an A license.

actually on some of these they just want "qualified" not nessesarily licensed...for Beach jumps you need water training.. for night jumps you need enough experience to be aware.. you can have both without having taken the test for your license, but having the number makes it ALOT easier to verify..

actually on some of these they just want "qualified" not nessesarily licensed...for Beach jumps you need water training.. for night jumps you need enough experience to be aware.. you can have both without having taken the test for your license, but having the number makes it ALOT easier to verify..

There was some discussion on being "qualifed" and "holding" a license when I did my night jumps so many moons ago. The S&TA at almost didn't let me because I didn't "hold" a the license to let me do the jump.

I have seen at a few places that do beach jumps that they require a D license (not just water training).

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

which is the easy way out, but is really only paperwork..having it makes it easier to verify since they dont have to look at your log book you just show your card....but i know at least 2 people with over 1200 jumps who only have A's and have both done beach jumps

i've never been quite sure what having filled out several pieces of paper had to do with anything other than convenience.

What's the incentive to go beyond the A license? The A licences lets me jump by myself, gets me on group jumps, packing myself, etc.

Well, if you ever want to get an award like Gold Wings or 12-hour freefall badge, you need a D license first.

DJan

I know that you have already received advise from people that far exceed my experience in the sport. based on your profile, it seems tat you have been in the sport quite a while, yet (I'm assuming), that you do very few jumps a year.......so therefore if this is true, then, you have probably seen more in your time spent on the sport than I have.

The point I am trying to reference is that it will probably will serve your purpose on getting a few jumps a year still, but at least get your water training, it does not matter if you are ever going to do a night jump, but as an advice, just do the water training for your own safety. No need to get the B license, but consider that if you go anywhere where there is a river, sea, etc or any body of water, at least you can be prepared...
Blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I know that you have already received advise from people that far exceed my experience in the sport. based on your profile, it seems tat you have been in the sport quite a while, yet (I'm assuming), that you do very few jumps a year.......so therefore if this is true, then, you have probably seen more in your time spent on the sport than I have.

The point I am trying to reference is that it will probably will serve your purpose on getting a few jumps a year still, but at least get your water training, it does not matter if you are ever going to do a night jump, but as an advice, just do the water training for your own safety. No need to get the B license, but consider that if you go anywhere where there is a river, sea, etc or any body of water, at least you can be prepared...
Blue skies!

Unfortunately, I had a four year lay off (stuff for another thread entirely) and should be severly punished for putting aside something that gave me so much relief and happiness. But now I'm back with a vengance!

Curiosity was the reason for the question nothing more. I knew a guy at the DZ I did my student jumps at and he was content with a B license. He could outfly many D and most of the C license holders hands down and was a great canopy flyer. I don't know what his # jumps were but it was in the 4 digit range. But if he wanted to do a beach jump he couldn't while someone more inexperienced with a C could. Just seems odd but I guess that's the way it goes.

My goal is a D however :)First I gotta call Ralph! This renting gear sucks the big one!!

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real