Maxim

Aussie

Howdy,

i have been wanting to try skydiving for a bit now, going to make a move towards it but i know when i start i will want to go all the way.

I'am a 18 year old male from melbourne what are some of the decent DZ's around. How much money should i have saved before i start, and roughly what are the ongoing costs. Roughly rig costs but I'am sure you can hire them till you get a bit more into it. Ultimately i think i would want to get into instructing etc. but never know i could get scared outta my wits after first jump but i don't think so i been into extreme sports for a while now. Thanks alot looking forward to the feedback

I'am actually living in England atm but moving back home in 2 months and looking to start it then.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

An hour and a half or so's drive out of Melbourne, Skydive Nagambie is an awesome place to learn.

Although the First Jump Course is $470, you'll probably want a couple of grand at least to get you through AFF in reasonable time.

If you have time and money, I think they have an A License course that takes a week. Hang on...

[sounds of internet rummaging]

Ah. Here it is. $3400 for AFF and consolidation jumps afterwards and stuff. Take lots of bedclothes, the bunkhouses get cold.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Another Aussie!! Another Aussie!!:D

Nagambie is the way to go I've heard. As for prices for rigs, etc...have a good chat to your Jumpmaster who'll be training you through your course. Dont be shy to ask other jumpers aswell about any questions that you do have. Just remember, they were all once as unexperienced as you are!
And a word of warning, this sport is addictive!;)

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

If you have time and money, I think they have an A License course that takes a week. Hang on...

[sounds of internet rummaging]

Ah. $3400 for AFF and consolidation jumps

Fuck me that's expensive you can do All 9 stages of AFF for a lot less the $3.4 grand.. Geez that's dear>:(
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Full Course Special
Full Course Ten Jump Package Over 5 Days

Complete the full nine stages of the AFF course over a five day period (weather permitting). This package is ideal for visitors and locals alike. By completing the course in a short time frame you are creating the best learning environment possible.

This Special Program can be completed with either TAF or AFF program as the first skydive.

AFF Body Flight Program. $1950

-------------------------------------------------

Addiction Special
'A' Licence 20 Jump Package over 7-9 Days

Complete the full nine stages of the the AFF/TAF course and then spend a whole week skydiving to achieve your 'A' licence. This is the fast track method of achieving your ticket to skydiving anywhere in the world!

This Special Program can be completed with either TAF or AFF program as the first skydive.

AFF Program and Additional Jump. $3400

I was under the impression that doing the 9 AFF levels got you your A level.. after you have done 9 levels what is involved to get A?

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Keep in mind that that's not just 9 AFF stages (and it's in Aussie dollars, FWIW). That's accomodation for the week (heh - bring a lot of blankets :P), AFF, and the extra jumps it'll take you to fulfill your licensing requirements.

Just for the accuracy/canopy control requirements alone, you can't get it in 9 jumps even if you don't fail any AFF stages.

It's not an option I could afford, but if I could, I'd have considered it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The closeest DZ to you is Commando Skydivers , which have just moved from Pakenham to Tooradin which is right next to Western Port Bay, they are not taking any students right now as the paddock to be used for student ops isnt setup yet but it should be by the time you get back.

Theres also Barwon heads which is on the other side of Port Phillip Bay but I think they only do TAF over there so its a bit more expensive (not 100% sure on that). And of course youve got Nagambie which is a bit of a drive but not a bad place, that $3400 'special' sounds like a bit of a rip off though.

I was under the impression that doing the 9 AFF levels got you your A level.. after you have done 9 levels what is involved to get A?

Go to the APF web site, you can see what is involved. As far as I rember you need to demonstrate accuracy, do conversion jumps to sports rig, get approved to pack you rig and so on.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

From the OpRegs:

3.2.1. CERTIFICATE "A" CONDITIONS: Applicants must:
(a) Have made at least 10 stable free falls
(b) Have made at least 10 descents landing within 25 metres of the target centre, these landings being made unassisted by a Target Assistant;
(c) Have completed the Student Training Descent Table required by 6.3 of these regulations to the satisfaction of a Chief Instructor;
(d) Have the approval of a Chief Instructor to pack a main parachute for the use of him/herself or a licensed parachutist;
(e) Pass a written examination set and conducted under the supervision of a Chief Instructor which tests his or her knowledge of parachuting regulations and theory of parachuting;
(f) Have completed the Canopy Handling Training Descent Table shown in Appendix 5A of these regulations to the satisfaction of a Chief Instructor.

---

You need your A to be able to do your conversion jumps, so those are done _after_ you get your A.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

1st student course at the new Dropzone (Tooradin) will be run at the start of next month and so on. THe student arrow and radios are being setup this weekend. You live at Frankston; it will take you 20 mins to get to Tooradin. It will be cheaper to do AFF there then it will at Nagambie. In terms of enough cash for jumping; there is no such thing! ;) You can always spend more!

Also as a student don't forget that you can fail jumps and need to repeat them. Also after a license there is B-rels for the B.

Anyway all of this is getting way ahead of where it should be; do your first jump and THEN decide if you want to continue. Jumping is not for everyone; before you commit that sort of cash find out if you like it first.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

You don't need A license to start with your B-rel, at least stages 1-4(or 6). Make sure you start packing your chute on early jumps. You need at least 10 and you can pack only for yourself.

20 jumps for 3400 is not so bad. It adds up to much more paying one at the time.

You should have your A license before starting your B-rels. I am not sure if you technically need it but its something that you should get ASAP. Also their is a very large problem with having students using non-student gear. (insurance coverage)

$3400 for 20 jumps is expensive. $170 a pop, what happens if he fails any AFF stages? Thats more $$$
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

You don't need you A to start your B-rels. Lots of people use the B-rel jumps to fulfill the requirements for their A.

As for students using non-student gear, that is a BIG no-no. OpRegs (or the TOM) say that you need your A licence to jump non-student gear.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

20 jumps for 3400 is not so bad. It adds up to much more paying one at the time.

Unless the 20 jumps include all your B-Rels, $3400 is way more expensive than doing your 9 AFFs (assuming all pass) and a further 11 jumps on student gear paying jump-by-jump.

- FJC and jump: $495
- stages 2-3: $195 ea
- stages 4-8: $165 ea
- stage 9 and subsequent jumps by student on student gear: $65 ea

You do the math. I'm really not sure how it can be justified (and believe me, though I love Nagambie, the bunkhouse accom sure ain't 4-star)

Cheers,
Eiley

nothing to see here