davelepka

Has anyone seen this before?

This weekend, one our cameramen came down from a load with an interesting report. He sais that a low time jumper climbed into the door with a coach for a 2-way RW jump. The low timer had trouble getting into position in the door, and was a little slow with the count. At this point a visiting jumper, a freeflier who was exiting after the RW jumpers (by the way I'm a freeflier and I like most freefliers) began yelling "Go, go bitch go! Get the fuck out of the door! Go!". The cameraman, who was rolling at the time, plugged in his camera, and sure enough, his story was dead on.

I have been jumping for almost 10 years, and have never heard anything like this at any DZ anywhere in the country. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this before? This behavior has no place at my home DZ, or any DZ in my opinion. Jumpers like this should re-evaluate their attitude and start thinking before they speak. I have a feeling that this jumper may post here, and if you see this you know who you are, and you fucked up. If you have a problem with the spot when your turn comes up the door, either A) pull high, B) land off or C) close the door and ask for a go-around. We have respect for all of the jumpers at my home DZ, especially the students, who pay for the Super Otter and the free beer we all enjoy every time we show up to jump.

I've been screwed on many exits since the group behind me is screaming for me to go. I just have got to the point that I say screw them and I'll exit when I want to.

In places that do not want to do go arounds it is some times more stressed to get out when its your turn and not mess around in the door.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Somebody needs some counseling. Definitely a bad attitude. In fact inexcusable. I hope someone had serious words with the offender. I have been on loads where people in the back have been way too "encouraging" about the early people exiting. I have no trouble ignoring it. It can cause some people to hurry when they shouldn't. Usually it happens at boogies, virtually never at my home DZ.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

:)I always laugh when I am near the door, preparing to open it....and waiting patiently for the 'red light'....
I mean I am literally 2 feet away from it,,,, and the INSTANT it comes on.....( which of course I can SEE )
all the people further up in the cabin,, start SCREAMING,,,,,, " Red Light... Red light... DOOOOOOOR!!!!!!! hahahahaha.... Do they think that we did not see the light.....??????? hahahaha....
I can use this scenario, as a "nervousness barometer..".... the louder the yelling,,, the more freaked out the jumper(s).....
Chill people!!!.........Hell,,, the green exit light has not even come on yet.... We near the door,,, are looking out the door,, to check for traffic, and to verify our location relative to the spot,,( since Many many people later on in the exit tend to simply get to the door and GO.... without once looking down and out..) ,, and many times,,, we haven't even reached a point NEAR the spot,,,, and people are yelling... go go go...... I often reply..... " Calm down,",,,, we will exit in such a way,,, that EVERYBODY on the load will get back.......... Of course with a fast flying plane like a King Air, or even when an Otter is flying with very low headwinds,,,, we do not want to string out the exit too much,,,, yet separation between groups is more important,, than getting out "NOW"!!!....
If you are later in the exit line up,,, simply make a mental estimate of how long the exit has been going on,, and consider altering your opening altitude accordingly....and Oh Yeah.... LOOK at the ground once or twice during your skydive,,, to determine IF you are long or not....
But please let's keep the yelling and the dramatics, to a minimum..... If a student is slow in his or her climbout,,,, it is up to the instructor to point it out,,,
not somebody, who has too little patience to sit tight for a few extra seconds.......
Sometimes skydivers think that it is all about them........and fail to remember when they were slow and deliberate in the door.
We now fly canopies with plenty of forward speed and so a strung out exit is not as big a deal as it might have been years ago......Good manners, on the ground, in the air and in the aircraft go a long ways towards identifying a DZ as a fun safe, and welcoming place.....
When our friends and guests are leaving our homes,,,,,,, do we yell.. "Go Go Go",,, if they linger at the door???????... ( well maybe SOME guests)... but in general,,, courtesy should prevail..:)The same people who are in a hurry to "get out" might be more helpful if they direct their energy and encouragement towards assuring that everyone hustles..... when it's time to get IN... the airplane,,,
( what part of "Please MEET the plane" is tough to understand?? )
but not out!.. a proper exit should be prompt but it should NOT be rushed.....

I hope your DZO, DZ manager or the coach with the student talks with the offender. This is totally not cool!

I was at a boogie two years ago, jumping out of the skyvan... This older timer actually pushed me towards the door in an attempt to exit the airplane quicker. I guess sometimes people get really really bent if you're not exiting as fast as they think you should!
-drew

I just think it is hilarious when people get all worked up and start shouting go, go, go. Of course it is very inconsiderate, but if you let it get to you then those people have won. Sometimes the best thing to do if your group is small is just to move away from the door and gesture for them to go first, this wastes even more time and adds to their already high stress level.

One of our favorite quotes at my DZ came from a visiting German jumper. As the first group in the door took some time to climb out he shouts "Green light means go!" which really had the whole Schwarzeneger sound to it.

Really, if you are one of those people who shouts door when we are 1 mile out and it is cold, or one of those people who is always yelling go when there is going to be a second pass anyway... you are a idiot, and you are ruining the vibe for everyone.

Some years ago I experienced something like this.

A three way of very inexperienced skydivers took a fairly long time to setup.
The plane was a Skyvan. While they were getting ready a guy from the next group
(four way) started screaming at them. He got right into their group shouting stuff
like get the fuck out etc. The poor three way totally lost it, worried that there
was some sort of aircraft emergency. They all fell out and had their jump totally ruined.

He then took a floater position (facing in) and started screaming at his own team to get their act together. That was enough for me. I could not resist. I walked up to him and gave him a gentle nudge out the door. B| As I had helped them set up their jump (they were not very experienced either) I then took his position and had a great jump with his friends.

Of course once on the ground the guy went apeshit demanding that I pay for his jump. I agreed to pay as long as he payed for the three way. He never did, but I never heard him shout at others again.

Forget idiots like that - jump when you are ready. I've never had anyone shouting explitives at me, but I've had three or four experiences with shouting. There is no need for it EVER from idiots inside the plane. For instance, there could be a problem that someone propped in the door is attempting to fix.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Thanks to everyone for their responses. As I mentioned, Iknow the person in question posts here, and I hope that they read this and understand that it's not cool, and to knock it off in the future. I also happen to know this jumpers home DZ, and that shit doesn't fly there either.

You know who you are. Clean it up in the future.

sometimes people need to be reminded that there is no reason it should take 20 seconds for a 4-way to climb out....i love yelling at people at my home dz, it is one of the few things in life that brings me joy!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

sometimes people need to be reminded that there is no reason it should take 20 seconds for a 4-way to climb out....i love yelling at people at my home dz, it is one of the few things in life that brings me joy!

There is a REASON, just not one that makes sense to you because you're not part of that particular group in the door at that time.

For all you know, they could be waiting a few extra seconds because the spot is bad or there is traffic or any one of a number of reasons.

If you don't know what the reason is, then you should probably let THEM worry about it and simply wait. The plane can almost always go around if required.

If it's a recurring issue, then deal with it on the ground. Yelling while the 4-way team is in the door is NOT helpful to anyone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Or if it does, that they can begin climbing out on yellow.

Sometimes they are inexperienced, sometimes there is a problem, sometimes yellow is on too early, sometimes yellow never turns to green.

Sometimes they just aren't as perfect a skydiver as the person in the back screaming at them like a baby.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Shortly after completing AFF, I got that sort of attitude from a Tandem Master (who happened to be in the plane on a fun jump at the time). I swear to god I almost turned around and hit him then and there in the door.
I let my AFF instructor know about it when I got down and he had a seriousworsd with him and it ended there. What annoyed me even more is that I was waiting in the door for a 'go' signal from another TM as I was not over confident of my own spots yet.

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Some years ago I experienced something like this.

A three way of very inexperienced skydivers took a fairly long time to setup.
The plane was a Skyvan. While they were getting ready a guy from the next group
(four way) started screaming at them. He got right into their group shouting stuff
like get the fuck out etc. The poor three way totally lost it, worried that there
was some sort of aircraft emergency. They all fell out and had their jump totally ruined.

He then took a floater position (facing in) and started screaming at his own team to get their act together. That was enough for me. I could not resist. I walked up to him and gave him a gentle nudge out the door. B| As I had helped them set up their jump (they were not very experienced either) I then took his position and had a great jump with his friends.

Of course once on the ground the guy went apeshit demanding that I pay for his jump. I agreed to pay as long as he payed for the three way. He never did, but I never heard him shout at others again.

Way cool, I like you style.B|
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

For all you know, they could be waiting a few extra seconds because the spot is bad or there is traffic or any one of a number of reasons.

i agree, but something like this should occur while spotting and before climb out actually begins...i elicited the desired response, i was just kidding about yelling at people, serious about reminding people about long climb outs (on the ground after the jump - not during climb out). i love you all!

edit for spelling again

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Or if it does, that they can begin climbing out on yellow.

Sometimes they are inexperienced, sometimes there is a problem, sometimes yellow is on too early, sometimes yellow never turns to green.

Sometimes they just aren't as perfect a skydiver as the person in the back screaming at them like a baby.

I never scream at anyone to get out. They can get out whenever they want and if I don't like the spot when I get to the door, I have the same option. But, there's many times I see the first group out huddled by the door all staring at the green light waiting for it to come on and not even spotting. Once the door is open, spotting should begin and if all looks good and it's going to take a while to climb out and take grips, why not start before green comes on? Yellow means open the door and get ready to exit. Green means go.

I personally take a lot of pride in this as well! Nuthing makes me happier knowing that I have a helping hand in screwing up an experienced 4-way team exit! And to get it on video....priceless!!!!!

And no, we don't want Monkey to be a cheerleader! The vision of him in one of those little skirts would ruin multiple fantasies i have of cheerleaders.

(edit) if you have to ask why, then don't know me very well!

Freakous and Monkey~

You boys are making us sound bad. :S Yes - sometimes we yell at eachother - but none of it is ever mean or ill intentioned. I think we've all yelled "go, go, go" at some point to someone (experienced jumpers only). (Of course, with our plane's ground speed, we only have (had [:/]) a small window to "get the fuck out". :)
So stop being donkeys on DZ.com. This is not SDV chat! ;)

(i did a spell check - so no edit for spelling) :)