jumpinjackflash

SKYU 1 Coach Dive

Basic Freefall formation Skydive Introduction

OK, I'm definitly doin a few this weekend. However, instead of pissin away all my solos (read some of the how many to A threads) I need to start my skyu coach dives (for my dz 3 are required)....

I'm impatient (just a bit), can't wait to get there to find out...

Anyone give me a heads up on what I'll be doing for SKYU 1???

Thanks ahead of time,

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I'm assuming you're talking about the Category G & H dives. So you'll be doing fall rate practice, docking and tracking manuevers.

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!
I definitly laid a turd here :-)

I thought the SkyDive University program was widely known and I'd get MUCHO feedback???

It's either an AMAZINGLY BORING TOPIC for everyone or just not known????

Anyhow, thanks, that sheds a little light. I guess in line with your "category G&H dives" I should peruse the SIM and see what it says...

Blues man, thanks again,

jjf

i was found, washed up and left for days
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I need to start my skyu coach dives (for my dz 3 are required)....

Coach jumps are required?[:/]

I think that sucks!

If by some miracle they are free, then I am out of line.

You should be required to show proficiency, but lots of people without a coach rating can help you improve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I need to start my skyu coach dives (for my dz 3 are required)....

Coach jumps are required?[:/]

I think that sucks!

If by some miracle they are free, then I am out of line.

You should be required to show proficiency, but lots of people without a coach rating can help you improve.

Hmmm, well, point taken. I guess I could see why you would feel that way. I'm pretty new though, so I have no idea how the rest of the skydiving community works...

As far as coaching and the SkyDive University is concerned, I thought that the program was pretty widely taught? As such, shouldn't SKYU coaches be paid? Do they TEACH SKYU AT YOUR DZ? Not Harpin on you, just curious if they do?

Regarding it being "Required" as part of my A license, I would also think that the objectives of the SKYU 1 - 3 dives would help to teach me all of the things that I need signed off of on my yellow card?

Lastly, until my A is signed off on, at my DZ I'm not cleared to dive with others. Again, my assumption was this was probably pretty standard and viewed as not only a proficiency issue but a safety one as well???

Does other DZ's allow you to jump with others when you don't have your A???

Seriously appreciate the feedback, helps to see other opinions and here whats going on out there...

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I think that this additional wallet lightening of students by some DZ's is a relatively new idea.

I really don't know how widespread it is.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think that this additional wallet lightening of students by some DZ's is a relatively new idea.

I really don't know how widespread it is.

"Wallet Lightning"???

B|

You very funny guy! So your take, is that its a take?

Again not tryin to trap you, just tryin to get it all on the table. Having no background, I wouldn't know one way or the other...

However, from what I hear about SKYU, and the additional modules (past 1-3) and advanced training, my logical assumption would be it rocks...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not loaded just lookin for some place to piss money away either. I'm agressively lookin for my first rig so I can get away from renting. Can't wait for my first "Jump Ticket" jump. However, I was really lookin forward to the training, assuming I would be getting something good for it.

:P

Would this be an idiotic assumption? WOULDN"T THIS BE VIEWED AS AN WELL RECOGNIZED TRAINING COURSE?

Or does all the VETS out here view this as a bunch of crap and a way to generate more dollars for the dz??? Should I expect all of my training to be freebies? Beer anyone? ;)

Anyone?

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

The training you receive is probably great.

My reaction was to the training being mandatory.

Since you have to do it, get the most out of it.

Well i got most of my RW training from peepz taking a jump off of their 4/8way team.
They were happy to do some easy drills, i didn't even have to pay their ticket.
Later on i did a sit jump w/ a newbie saying he could sit, bit it was complete crap, i wasted a ticket on that. I thought about asking him for the ticket, but thought better.
I just gave back what i received (did that a couplr of times, and it started to become fun, actually...).
When i learned, the DZO only let me jump w/ people good enough by then. I think there's way too much "pay so i tellya" skydiving out there. Fill people in on the risk, the measures to take and they should be fine. Mandatory SDU Jumps? Extend AFF for that or let it be. JMHO a2mb(after too many beers)...;) #o)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm assuming you're talking about the Category G & H dives. So you'll be doing fall rate practice, docking and tracking manuevers.

Thanks SO MUCH!!!!
I definitly laid a turd here :-)

I thought the SkyDive University program was widely known and I'd get MUCHO feedback???

It's either an AMAZINGLY BORING TOPIC for everyone or just not known????

Anyhow, thanks, that sheds a little light. I guess in line with your "category G&H dives" I should peruse the SIM and see what it says...

Blues man, thanks again,

jjf

i was found, washed up and left for days

It used to be, back in the old days about 2 years ago, that very experienced skydivers would mentor new jumpers once they had been cleared to "self-jumpmaster". I jumped a lot with a guy with 4,000+ jumps when I was a newbie, and learned a whole lot from him.

Then USPA made a rule that only coach rating holders could jump with pre-A newbies, and many of the old timers were excluded unless they gave up several days of their time and several hundred $$$ to prove to USPA that they could hold heading and fall rate. Most had better things to do with their time and money. IMO, a great loss to the sport.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The training you receive is probably great.

My reaction was to the training being mandatory.

Since you have to do it, get the most out of it.

Thanks, good point, well taken. I'd probably have an issue, if it were what I would feel were too many jumps or the price that much higher.

It isn't though, they are only three jumps and each covers the additional yellow card material and "flyin with others" stuff too....

Also, the price of the jump is just slightly more than a jump ticket. Not bad in my book.

Honestly, I'm really lookin forward to some more one on one time (last 5 jumps solo) with our coaches too.

We've got a great bunch of JM's and I'm sure I'll get more as time goes on as well,
however, getting that during weekends will be tough (freebies type stuff) because our dz is incredibly busy and they are truly hoppin.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Good point, sounds like it is a loss.

May be an issue of OVERREGULATION???

I wonder why the USPA went that route? Was it a revenue driven choice?

Or was there situations where skybabies such as myself were getting bad training and causing accidents?

I do know, there are many many good jumpers at our dz, and I'm workin real hard to get my A so I can get a chance to jump with em (willin they let me of course)...

???

jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...

I wonder why the USPA went that route?

As I understand it, it was to provide an entry into instruction with the idea that eventually Coaches would want to become AFF or other instructors. The qualification gives a new Coach entry into the world of teaching, including ground school elements before venturing into the more advanced elements of AFF as opposed to just jumping in cold.
:)

I think you are a little off base about what is expected of a coach.

It's not several days, but rather 2 for the course. You are expected to sit through 1 complete FJC and help teach the non-method specific portions of two others. I forgot what my coach rating cost, but it wasn't more than about $200, and that included the 2 evaluation dives. Spending the classroom time is more about learning what the DZ and ISP are teaching the students than testing you.

It's not fleecing the student or the community to try and get a base level of instructor ability out there. Just because you can fly doesn't mean you can teach, and just because you can teach doesn't mean you can fly.

You've got about 3 times as many jumps as I do. I bet you can fly WAY better than me, and I bet that you can teach just as well too. Go and get the rating if you want to jump with non-licensed jumpers.

This is not a post to piss anyone off, I don't understand why the majority of posters seem to think that ratings are a bad idea, or that someone is trying to question their abilities by asking them to get a rating in order to do a certain type of jump.

I think you are a little off base about what is expected of a coach.

It's not several days, but rather 2 for the course. You are expected to sit through 1 complete FJC and help teach the non-method specific portions of two others. I forgot what my coach rating cost, but it wasn't more than about $200, and that included the 2 evaluation dives. Spending the classroom time is more about learning what the DZ and ISP are teaching the students than testing you.

It's not fleecing the student or the community to try and get a base level of instructor ability out there. Just because you can fly doesn't mean you can teach, and just because you can teach doesn't mean you can fly.

You've got about 3 times as many jumps as I do. I bet you can fly WAY better than me, and I bet that you can teach just as well too. Go and get the rating if you want to jump with non-licensed jumpers.

This is not a post to piss anyone off, I don't understand why the majority of posters seem to think that ratings are a bad idea, or that someone is trying to question their abilities by asking them to get a rating in order to do a certain type of jump.

I've been a professional teacher for over 30 years. I have a very well paying position and no wish to make money from skydiving.

However, I don't intend to spend 2 days and $200 (your figures, it cost more than that last time I looked into a local course) just so I can "give back" to the sport. I'd rather spend that money on a big-way camp or a new jumpsuit. There are people with lots more experience skydiving than you or I who feel just the same way I do. We were willing to jump with newbies on our own dime, but not willing to pay USPA for the privilege. Who loses?

I find it ABSURD that someone with 5,000 jumps cannot do a 2-way with a newbie with 24 jumps, but someone with 120 jumps and a coach rating can, or 4 newbies with 26 jumps each and "A" licenses can do a 4-way.

Then USPA made a rule that only coach rating holders could jump with pre-A newbies, and many of the old timers were excluded unless they gave up several days of their time and several hundred $$$ to prove to USPA that they could hold heading and fall rate. Most had better things to do with their time and money. IMO, a great loss to the sport.

I agree its a great loss if the old timers wouldn't say ... part with $80 for the course, $20 for the rating and about $74 for eval dives. My coach course cost just that, $174. Hardly several hundred $$$$

I agree its a great loss if the old timers wouldn't say ... part with $80 for the course, $20 for the rating and about $74 for eval dives. My coach course cost just that, $174. Hardly several hundred $$$$

You know, I'm also willing to help little old ladies cross the street, but if the DOT insisted that I take a 2-day course on how to take little old ladies across the street, and pay for a license to do it, I'd prolly just tell the little old ladies to go elsewhere for help.

You simply don't get the point.

I'm rather amazed at the whole thread!!!

;)

I posted it lookin for a little tech info on the jump, received none, but ended up in a political conversation about what a crock of shit the whole thing is!!! :D

End Result - Went to the DZ - Found out what the jump is. Dive out the door chasin the JM, swoop down, dock successfully...

No biggie!!!!

:ph34r:

God I love this site, we have more fun here than two cats in a sack.

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

End Result - Went to the DZ - Found out what the jump is. Dive out the door chasin the JM, swoop down, dock successfully...

No biggie!!!!

So you did it easily? B|

I posted it lookin for a little tech info on the jump, received none, but ended up in a political conversation about what a crock of shit the whole thing is!!! :D

You can always count on a negative comment regarding the USPA Coach program. The skygod attitude and selfish comments in this thread are typical.

Congrats on your coach dive.

You can always count on a negative comment regarding the USPA Coach program. The skygod attitude and selfish comments in this thread are typical.
reply]

Name calling is easy, how about a response to the statements made.

ok, i'm not an experienced jumper or anything so I can't tell you much. But I've seen Skydive U work wonders at my dz. It is an excellent program, you are going to work hard and see vast improvement in your flying skills. I don't know how to make a clicky, but check this out:
http://www.skydiveu.com/flash/bbf.htm
Hope this helps.
Cieux Bleus,
Amanda

I posted it lookin for a little tech info on the jump, received none, ..... End Result - Went to the DZ - Found out what the jump is. Dive out the door chasin the JM, swoop down, dock successfully...

Seems to me that "Bigun" told you what it was right off the bat. How did you miss that?