cpoxon

When skydiving abroad do you take out Travel Insurance that insures jumping?

Interested in see attitudes to insurance in the sport.

Due to the prohibitive cost of medical treatment in the US, it is highly recommended for Europeans to take out Travel Insurance that covers treatment and repatriation for skydiving related accidents (although some still risk it and do not do so). Within the Europe Union, medical treatment is assured, but it is still worth taking out inurance for Search and Rescue purposes and repatriation. Is this a global situation?

If you don't take out insurance because you chose not to, can you explain why. If you are already covered, by your work for example, please indicate yes and follow-up as such.

Thanks.

Edited to add: If you vote in this poll, please could you also answer the If you could no longer obtain Travel Insurance that covered skydiving, would you stop travelling abroad to jump poll?

you should ALWAYS do this - the club in which im involved with and the national body to which it is affiliated do NOT let you go anywhere with them unless you do this.

the biggest cost is for repatriation. this is where you are fucked in a hospital bed and want to get sent home before you physio starts in 18 months time. this costs hundreds of thousands of pounds - get insurance

The experience of a friend of mine, who was hurt quite badly jumping in Spain, has led to me take out insurance when jumping outside of the UK.

My work does provide travel insurance but the policy excludes any 'interesting' activities.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I've got travel insurance with my car insurance and it does insure skydiving aborad as long as I don't make any money out of it.
On top of that my insurance through work does cover skydiving accidents if you're in hospital at least one day (doesn't cover simple things) but I'm not sure this one covers repatriation.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

If you can't afford such insurance, you can't afford to skydive on your travels.

I spent 9 months in the USA last year with two friends. We could only get insurance for six months, then had to renew it. We carefully chose a policy that specifically covered skydiving (I think it cost around $(AUD)800 each). Despite not using it at all in the first six months, we renewed it for the final three months.

Two weeks before we were due to return home, my partner (Paul) died as a result of a canopy collision. Although the insurance company tried hard not to pay out, in the end they paid for my early return home, all of Paul's repatriation costs and also $(AUD)20,000 to Paul's estate.

I dread to think what would have happened had we not had insurance. I believe I would have been paying the bills for the next 20 years or so.

It's like a Cypres - you buy it never intending to use it, but it pays for itself thousands of times over if you do.

Cheers,
Eiley

nothing to see here

i'm going jumping in france in 2 weeks and currently checking all of the insurance issues.
i have life insurance from work, which covers skydiving.
and insurance done through the israeli skydiving association which also covers hospitalization and evac.

i've got other plans and i'm comparing all of them.
tough, choices, but very importnat....

get insurance...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."