mailin

AFF jump #2 - critique wanted!

Well... today was AFF Jump #2 - woo hoo!

The program is tandem progression, so this jump involved my using an altimeter to judge altitude, learn more about body position, waving-off, and pulling the rip cord (without dropping it this time).

I was so pumped up on my ride to the DZ - listening to music in the car and screaming all of it at the top of my lungs. My husband met me there and I met alot of really nice people.

Rob (or was it John, god I'm horrible with names) was my TM - you guys probably know him. He was in CA for 2 weeks recently - he was at Perris during the incident involving that CT woman. He's got red hair and a thick Irish(?) accent. Super nice guy.

He was so great at explaining stuff to me. I brought up all my concerns from my first tandem and found good ways to avoid them. We chit chatted for a bit while waiting for the plane to come back in. All I can say, wow! What a wake-up call this was! There is so much I didn't realize went into all of this!

We were the last load up - just the two of us. Which is good, cause the sardine can Cessna they stuck us in couldn't possibly fit more than us, but I was told you can actually fit about 4 people in it - how, I'll never know. So I got just a little closterphobic. My first jump was from a bigger plane (a caravan?).

Rob told me to sing my favorite song if I got nervous during the 15 min. ride up to 11,500 ft. Well... the only song that came to mind was the last one that was playing on the radio "End of the World" by REM. Kinda Ironic huh?

Well, after I realized that was the song I had in my head, I got super nervous! I actually started shaking, and I don't know why. Wasn't that I was cold per say (and it was mighty cold), and not that I wanted to turn around, but nervous non the less.

By the time we got to altitude I didn't want to move. I had to get up on my knees so he could hook up, and during that time my legs went to sleep. So stepping out of the plane was umm... interesting. As we got out of the plane we flipped once, which was much better than the last time. Stablized quickly thank goodness.

I did all the correct freefall checks. But instead of looking at the rip cord handle, I attempted to feel for it and never found it. So by the time 5,000 came around I was in no position to pull - so he did. And I felt like a fool. I was staring at my alti and just did nothing. Whats with that?? I knew that I needed to pull, but for some reason I didn't. grrrr....

So.. the canopy opens and all I can say is PAIN! my god, the leg straps felt like they were trying to pull my knees into my stomach. I'll definitely have some bruising tomorrow. Then again, they didn't have a suit that would fit (I've got a big chest), so I jumped in my sweatshirt and jeans - which was a bit uncomfortable.

The canopy ride was pretty cool - lots to see and Rob was great explaining everything to me. He had a great attitude - high fives and all. He had me grab the toggles to try some of the turning and practice flares - only for me to discover that my left hand was going numb - huh?? what the hell??

I got so freaked out by that I told him I didn't want to help land - I was freaked by this left hand numb thing and the fact that during my first tandem I botched the landing and fell face first - which could cause harm to both of us, and i didn't want a repeat. This allowed me to pull my hands down and that was much better - numbness went away instantly.

About 1,500 ft. my right ear just clogged right up. Still can't 'feel' normally in that ear and its 3 hours later. There has to be some way to avoid that - advice wanted! ;) Landing was fine. I was able to move the leg straps down so I was in a more seated position and we landed without incident. But it was cold, which I didn't really realize until we were down. They stop jumping the last week in October here, and I under stand why. I don't think I'll get to jump 4 by then...

I was still uneasy by the time I got down... nervous still. I was disappointed in myself for not pulling and disappointed that I didn't participate in landing.

On the plus side I remembered my goggles this time :P, got my arms in the correct position, and landed safely. I was 'aware' of altitude, so I'm not sure what happened with the pull thing - but it was not good.

Rob told me that he's been doing this for 14 years and is still learning - I can understand why.

I guess its good that I was so nervous and a bit scared - keeps everything in check. I sure hope that the 3rd time is better - cause I don't like that feeling at all. I had so much fun the 1st time, I want to feel that again.

ugh... not what I expected. I sure hope that the 3rd time goes better.

So... all you more experienced people - what do you think, I'd love your feedback.

Jennifer

"oh long 'winded' one... whats the record for longest post?"
Arianna Frances

Wow, that's quite a story, lol! :) Sounds like you're pretty aware, you recall everything. Yeah, pulling is pretty important, but i'm sure you'll do it next time! Sounds like you were a bit nervous, which will go away with time (how much depends on the person i'd suppose, and probably with how current you stay). Try to make as many jumps as you can afford to do, the closer they are to one another, the less nervous you'll be, and the less likely you'll be to forget things.

I had the same problem with my ears for a while. Now they've just gotten used to it. I was taking like 3 sudafed non-drowsy pills b4 jumping sometimes. You can clear your ears on your way up by swallowing and yawning, and on the way down you can val salva (plug nose, blow gently ).

Have a blast, get back there as soon as you can:)

Angela.

Yeah, pulling is pretty important,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this could be called an under statement.

LOL!! Yeah! On my first couple of AFF's they would always ask me to explain the jump and all I could come up with was, "the exit was F'n awesome, freefall felt F'n bad ass and the canopy ride was pretty F'n awesome!" Later on I could say more but its hard to talk with a grin the size of mount Everest! :P

Nice story!

Sounded like a perfect day of jumping to me (it usually takes a day to do one nice jump)...

First 10 jumps I was SURE I am going to die, next 10 I started to think i just MIGHT survive and later on I started to realize I ENJOYED it.:S

This hobby is not so sane...;)
>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

don't worry, everything's OK, your safe and in one piece, ready to go up again.
My worse jump was jump 4, the 1st with nobody in my back... Was so stressed, totally rigid in the air, JM helped me with my PHT, and put my hand on the PC for opening ! I was so angry that I asked everyone to come back in the plane to have another load, I couldn't leave Miami with this bad impression
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

My worse jump was jump 4, the 1st with nobody in my back... Was so stressed, totally rigid in the air, JM helped me with my PHT, and put my hand on the PC for opening ! I was so angry that I asked everyone to come back in the plane to have another load, I couldn't leave Miami with this bad impression

Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope that the next one goes well so I can go into 4 actually feeling like I belong there :P

glad to hear I'm not the only one who started off 'rough'.

thanks!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

If you're expecting the nerves to go down on your 3rd jump....well, don't. In my very limited experience, I have found that first timers (myself included) typically have the fewest reservations about jumping out of an airplane, simply because of sheer ignorance of the gravity (no pun intended) of the situation. After your first jump, you realize all the things that could go wrong, the procedures to solve problems, etc. Needless to say, it's a lot to take in!

However, the good news is that if everyone else here can do it, so can you. So, remind yourself you're in this sport to have fun, and go out and have a lot of it...you shouldn't regret it.

I am still a relatively nervous skydiver (even though I love it!), and I am working on that. But I've had 10 jumps now, and tomorrow, God willing, will be my 11th and last as an AFF student. As far as the ripcord thing goes, on my 4th jump (my first AFF), the rig was so long that I could BARELY reach my pilot chute (it was all the way below my butt), so when I went for it, I grabbed my instructor's altimeter! I felt like such an idiot! He had to put my hand on the handle, but I pulled it myself. I'm sure that if the instructor had done that for you, the result would have been the same.;) Buck up, and get back to the DZ as soon as you can!!

Kelly