Spike

How long from fracture to rapture?

Ok, I just got back from a consultation/physio. Its already been 3 months since I had a distal fracture of the left fibula B| and now they are telling me I should wait a further 9 months[:/], preferably +12 before jumping again.:(:(:( It can't be true.:|

So the question is, how long did you take out from when you had your break, to when you made your next jump? And now, do you think you went back too soon, or laid off too long?

I smashed my femur. "Broke" does not describe what I did. I have a scar from knee to ass, and the whole leg was split in surgery and flung over my shoulder as they looked for all the bits they could find. I had a 10 inch plate and 14 screws keeping all the bits together. Looked like a garden rake. I waited 6 weeks.

In retrospect, this was madness. I was on crutches for 6 months. I had the plate out 10 months after the break and resumed jumping 2 months after that.

It was madness. I was young, dumb, in excellent shape and obsessed in Physio.

Now - 16 years later - I realise skydiving will always be here. The people I was trying to stay with in numbers all stopped, it simply didn't matter. What matters is healing and not putting yourself at further risk until you're better.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

My point was that it shouldn't be the landing that worries you... its that one odd landing in a thousand where you catch a glare off a window or get a sudden gust of wind (or whatever) that you ought to be worried about.

Plan for the worst, survive for the best.

(wow, that actually sounds quite good... and to my knowledge... I just made it up B|... it gonna be my new tag line from now on, and you were here at its inception)

I am struggling with the same issue..I destroyed my knee on July 4th in a motorcycle accident, had surgery and was on crutches for 2+ months. Doc and PT says wait 6 months before jumping....tough tough call, but I am starting to think it may be better to be safe than sorry...with that said I will probably wait 4-5 months;)

I broke my heel bone, cant remember correct name!

I spent 6 weeks in plaster, 3 weeks resting after it was taken off and jumped on week 10 on a larger canopy for a nice soft landing. Thats was two weeks ago done another couple since and I feel good. B|

Yeah, tough call, my emotional side says go for it. My thinking side says, caution first.

Tonto hit one of my nails on the head. I bust myself right before the nationals and my team mates have been really supportive. But hanging out another 6 months I'll have the flight skills of anvil with booties! 12 months and I'll be doing my first jump in the Nationals!

So one of the reasons I want to get back in the saddle is so as to catch back up with my team mates. If I leave it 12 months then in reality I'm bailing on my team.:( But what Tonto said makes sense, jumping will always be there. Im $hit at letting go.

Hey Mat, wasn't digging, anyway is that Mat in the shop at Hinton Mat?

I should wait a further 9 months, preferably +12 before jumping again.

It can't be true.

Yes Ortho's are very pre-cautious not too mention when it comes to a sport like skydiving they are even moreso.

So the question is, how long did you take out from when you had your break, to when you made your next jump?

My first jump back into the sport was at 2YRS. It was a 24PT 4-WAY. Then I waited another 6-MOnths to come back on a regular basis. Of course my injury was pretty severe and I had multiple surgeries. I wanted to make sure I was as flexible and strong as I could be. It was hard but I think the waiting helped my body.

I have seen way too many people come back too soon. Some are out of the sport because of that decision. Others are in severe pain because things did not heal properly.

Personally I would say to wait at least a full year. I am not a Dr. by any stretch of the means. You also know your body. If it does not feel right then you should definitely wait.

The sport is not going to stop existing. Give your body time to come back. Do your exercises. Stretch. Your buds should be behind you. You can always go and have a beer at the end of the day or something. :)

Hope my comments help. Take it Easy and keep us posted.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Hey Kramer,

Thanks for the input, I used to think I was a patient person, but I'm seeing some folks who run me out a long way. I suppose patience is free.

And how did you make a 24 point 4way after 2 years! I didn't turn that many points in a 3 on 1 with XL!!!:)
I guess its gonna be a long 12 months in the tunnel.:)

I suppose patience is free.

Yes it is. :)

And how did you make a 24 point 4way after 2 years!

Once you have several jumps and know how to fly it comes natural. I was also jumping with former Champions.

Blue Skies & Soft Landings,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Sorry to hear bad news [:/]

The time you need depends very much on the nature of inconvenience... When i broke my (one of those small potatochip -like bones on your foot) I just jumped on with those dutch wooden shoes on...:P

Not very clever I admit. It stopped hurting after 2 years.

>If God meant for man to fly, He´d have given him much more money.

McG, DZ EFVA dictator

it all depends how hard was the fracture (surgery?)
i asked my dad (he`s a doctor) and he told me (minimum) 4 month
search for a doctor who skydive ;);)
he`ll understand u better than a "normal" doctor and can give 2 u the best answer
u can walk on ur leg more than 5 km without pain?

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"