Sheenster303

Static Line Jump

during static line 'progression' or toward a licence only ~5 jumps are on a static line, after that you start freefall from minimum altitude working up to maximum altitude

Only 5 jumps is optimistic, but can be done. I have never seen any stats on the average time it takes to get off the line. Some, for various reasons, can end up doing more than 20 jumps on the line.
If anyone has any stats I would be interested in seeing them.

Dave

[
Only 5 jumps is optimistic, but can be done. I have never seen any stats on the average time it takes to get off the line. Some, for various reasons, can end up doing more than 20 jumps on the line.
If anyone has any stats I would be interested in seeing them.

Dave

I only did four and then went to freefall.....Steve1

Static Line..... the system developed and used by paratroopers in the '40s '50s and '60s...
One end of the static line is connected at the main container. the other end is connected at the aircraft...
The line is maybe 12 or 15 feet long.... The jumper falls that far,, and the main container opens, the static line is attached to the base of the spring loaded pilot chute,,,( packed inside the main container) by either velcro or "break cord".. ,,,, which then separates from the canopy and stays w/ the plane.... Yes exit is lower than the altitudes at which students of today will normally jump,,,,
You can be UNconscious, and the static line will still extract your main from your back....
But please try NOT to be "out of it",, since you do need to concentrate on your arch,,, and on S L Jumps # 3 4 and 5 you needed to do a DRCP.....
"Dummy RipCord Pull" ,,,, where a handle only,, without cable and pins,,,, is placed in the ripcord pocket..... ( Not pouch,,, Like today,,, but a pocket which was part of the main lift web on the jumpers right hand side...)...
With Static Line,,,, each student is assisted, by a more experienced,,, JUMPMASTER... He or She,, gives verbal commands, and encouragement to the student,,, assists, if needed with the climbout,, tends to the static line,, to be sure it is connected:S and secure,, and reels it back in so that the next student can then move into exiting position...
S. Line worked great for Cessna DZ's.. cause the plane only needed to go to 2,800 feet or so,,, the jumpmaster, could either exit after the last student
or could ride down with the plane to get the next group of three.....While paratroopers using C-47's (the military designation for the Douglas DC-3 ) simply jumped out the door,,, in a tuck,,,,, Sport static line, most often requires that the jumper do a poised exit from the step..... The Jump Master could then lean out the door to monitor the arch and practice pull.... If the student did successful practice pulls,,, and arched properly,on 3 consecutive DRCP's , then they would go to 3,500 feet or so,, for their First freefall......a delay of maybe 3 to 5 seconds......
Then as long as stability was good, and body position was good at pull time,,, the novice would make progressively longer delays,,,, ( exiting at progressively Higher altitudes,,, of course )....
Most jumpers who began in the 70s or 80s likely made static line jumps,,,,But with the great improvements in AFF and Tandem,,,, static line became a less favorable way to teach skydiving,,,
( S. L. is great for teaching Parachuiting,,,, but to learn skydiving,, it helps if you are freefalling...)
Plus with many dz's using larger jump ships,,, S. line became less practical.....
Like many things which held important status,, as our sport evolved,,, S/L has stepped aside in favor of other training methods.... Of course,,, static line was usually a bit less expensive,, than say an AFF jump with 2 jumpmasters,,, but again ,,, no freefall...
I made 5 S. L. jumps when I began....My first jump ( which was also my first Airplane ride ),,,including gear and training ran me 50 bucks,,,,the next 4 s.l. jumps were TEN!!!!! dolllars
Each..B|... and my first freefall cost me 6 dollars !!!!!:P hahaha... so I got all my training, all my gear use, and all 6 of my initial jumps for a total of 96 bucks..;).hahahaha..( of course that was when gasoline was 33 cents a gallon and a six pack cost 2 dollars...B|
Still the learning curve is much much better with todays curriculum.. and I have always felt that a static line parachute jump.... just wasn't a real skydive.........[:/]
skydive softly, skydive often, skydive with friends
jmy

Most civilian static-line jumps are done from 3,000 feet.

Instructor Assisted Deployment has replaced S/L at progressive civilian drop zones. The only difference is that the instructor holds the student's pilotchute as the student climbs out of the airplane.

Most armies still do thousands of static-line jumps per year. Most military S/L jumps are done from less than 1,000 feet, with round parachutes. Parachuting into battle has largely been replaced by helicopters, but it is still a great way to measure how young men act under pressure (and still have a 99.99% survival rate).

Rob Warner
25 sport static-line jumps
Canadian and West German Army S/L jump wings

I've been looking around and I keep reading stuff about people doing a static line jump as their first jump. Could someone tell me what a static line jump is? I'm new to all this and I'm not really sure what that means. Thanks!

Sheena

its effectivly a low altitude hop and pop... apart from you dont pull your own ripcord. the line attached to the plane and your chute does that for you. hence the name static line

:)CSPA D130

We used to take the guts out of 550 cord and use this string for brake cord on static line jumps. The very end of the static line was tied onto the pilot chute and then to each cone the static line was tied. There were usually four cones. All this seemed to break easily enough and I never saw a problem, but I'm sure it could happen.....Steve1

The club had a supply of break cord color was military green. (there were some military club members) At that time the S/L was tied at each cone but not routed into the pack and tied to pilot chute. The S/l broke away at each cone but the container stayed closed until I was on the ground. Guess the landing shock of a twill reserve jarred it loose.

.........The value of any skydive ...
should never be judged, by it's price..B|;)
...wow steve1 gutted 550 cord!!!!
Man,,, that's nylon isn't it ? pretty tough stuff.
It seems to me we used a waxed cotton cord, which we would feed through the cone and then square knot ,,,over the static line,,,, "Out the top and down the bottom"....:o :P:)The 4 pin and 3 pin containers all had bungees on them which were helpful in "peeling back " the container,, as the ripcord pins were removed
( simultaneously) from the cones....when a jumper
pulled.....
However it was very possible to incorrectly connect the bungees,, :o [:/] :S
soas to create a pack closure situation>:(
and proper gear checks were crucial then ,, just as they are today...:)