judedre

WHats Ya slowest speed!!

10/8/2003 j/n 237: tracking dive: minimum speed on the graphic: 74.24 mph SAS, 76.19 mph TAS at 5086 feet.

10/10/2003 j/n 238: another tracking dive but this one I'm writing up as some sort of fluke or glitch or readout error because I think this is just impossible, even for me...(I'm 5'10" 135 lbs, the heaviest of the ultralight humans)...the graphic shows my speed did the usual spike up to 130-ish after exit followed by one huge smooth curving drop in airspeed all the way down to....52.74 mph TAS, 46.79 mph SAS. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell this happened. Did I really go that slow or did I do something that somehow fooled the protrack? If I did, its a weird glitch because the curve looks fine, same as any other corkout reading or curve down to mimimum speed I've captured....but waaay waaay too slow to make any sense. Anyone else out there ever get this?
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

i got 79 secs of freefall today from 13,500 and slowest speed on 2nd part of jump was 89 mph
( it was a trackin jump o course) just curious as to how slo one can go....

I've done 90 seconds from 14,000ft with an indicated average of 84. I don't altogether trust the speeds indicated by ProTrack - too many issues with pressure fluctuations etc. I think times are a better indication. I'm 5'10" and weigh 155.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

120+ seconds at an average of 49 MPH with an opening at ~4700 feet

I've done speeds as low as 47 MPH which on Jumptrack were showing spikes of as low as 43 MPH B| Nylon Crack rules... B|

Sounds like a wingsuit jump.

.the graphic shows my speed did the usual spike up to 130-ish after exit followed by one huge smooth curving drop in airspeed all the way down to....52.74 mph TAS, 46.79 mph SAS. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell this happened. Did I really go that slow or did I do something that somehow fooled the protrack?

usually happens when you turn your head and protrack goes from the shadow to higher preassure or
other way around. the last was you case. pro-track thinks it's not as low as it though it was and
compaensate it by indicating slow speed. since there is no additional data to fake it, it will draw a very
nice smooth line - good sign that it's fake.

if i have my pro-track in my helmet during speed dives and i turn my head when i get out of the dive,
i sometimes get speed down to 20-30 mph. i know people who saw positive speed in those cases and
even negative deployment altitude. :)

i got 84 seconds from regular altitude with slowest speed of 84 mph. nylon RW suit. pro-track on the
lateral.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

i got 79 secs of freefall today from 13,500 and slowest speed on 2nd part of jump was 89 mph
( it was a trackin jump o course) just curious as to how slo one can go....

Hit 49 mph on my first wingsuit jump, but can sustain about 55 mph.
I got 119 secs (or maybe more, damn pro-track :S) from 13k - 4.5k.

Tracking, I go like 90 mph (can't remember the exact speed, I was wearing Pantz tho).

edited to add:
I put my pro-track on my lower leg to get more accurate readings.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't altogether trust the speeds indicated by ProTrack - too many issues with pressure fluctuations etc. I think times are a better indication.

Does Pro-Track actually calculate speeds directly? Since it's already calculating altitude, and has a clock, wouldn't it make more sense for it to calculate the speed as dx/dt?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't altogether trust the speeds indicated by ProTrack - too many issues with pressure fluctuations etc. I think times are a better indication.

Does Pro-Track actually calculate speeds directly? Since it's already calculating altitude, and has a clock, wouldn't it make more sense for it to calculate the speed as dx/dt?

Probably is how it's doing it, but the altitude reading comes from the pressure reading....So when you have the shadows Stan's talking about, the protrack goes nuts and that gets translated to the speed calculation.

I guess.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Yeh, I thought the same thing... if the pressure reading really is that sensitive, then wouldn't it make trusting your Pro-Track to beep at the right altitude even more of a leap of faith? I know Stan relies on his Pro-Track entirely in speed dives (he's told me :)), so if one of these shadows confused his Pro-Track could he miss his alarm?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

dunno if the thing is that sensitive or if the pressure shadows are just that big. Wouldn't surprise me if there are very large pressure fluctations about Stan when he does his jumps.

One day I thought I heard a jet going over - nope. It was Stan pulling out of one of his speed dives. Holy shite.....

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Damn, I did hear someone else say that you could hear speed skydivers from the ground, but I didn't know if that was true. That is so cool it's another reason I want to get into that. :)

Hmm... I don't know too much about the sound barrier and how that works... I wonder if Stan himself can hear the noise. Stan? :$
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yeh, I thought the same thing... if the pressure reading really is that sensitive, then wouldn't it make trusting your Pro-Track to beep at the right altitude even more of a leap of faith? I know Stan relies on his Pro-Track entirely in speed dives (he's told me :)), so if one of these shadows confused his Pro-Track could he miss his alarm?

The altitude error is far less sensitive to the pressure fluctuations than the speed error.

The altitude error is far less sensitive to the pressure fluctuations than the speed error.

So why don't they use dx/dt (x being altitude) to calculate speed? Yes, I realize you don't work for L&B, but it can't hurt to ask in case maybe you know. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

So why don't they use dx/dt (x being altitude) to calculate speed? Yes, I realize you don't work for L&B, but it can't hurt to ask in case maybe you know. B|

OK, imagine that the pressure fluctuations due to burble around a helmet have an oscillation on them with a 2 second frequency, corresponding to a 50 ft altitude error. That's an altitude error of 50ft, insignificant in the context of a skydive, but a 50ft/sec (or 30mph) speed error.

Makes sense, thanks. B|

On the other hand, wouldn't it be possible to average out those fluctuations at the end before creating the graph the Pro-Track outputs? I'm in over my head here, as I know nothing about making any sort of software, let alone to do something like this.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hmmm never heard a speedskydiver before, but bellyflyers can certainly be heard falling, from the ground. Not sure if I ever heard freeflyers tho? That's weird, or maybe just coincidence since I have to be at the landing spot, the spot has to be close to that and it has to be quiet enough to hear freefallers... Anyway a belly 4-way makes a lot of noise!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hmmm never heard a speedskydiver before, but bellyflyers can certainly be heard falling, from the ground. Not sure if I ever heard freeflyers tho? That's weird, or maybe just coincidence since I have to be at the landing spot, the spot has to be close to that and it has to be quiet enough to hear freefallers... Anyway a belly 4-way makes a lot of noise!

Yes.. X-way belly does a lot of noice.. Also tube dives tend to do a LOT of noice..

My slowest average speed is 140 km/h or 85 mph <--- track dive..

Damn, I did hear someone else say that you could hear speed skydivers from the ground, but I didn't know if that was true. That is so cool it's another reason I want to get into that. :)

Hmm... I don't know too much about the sound barrier and how that works... I wonder if Stan himself can hear the noise. Stan? :$

speed divers do make a lot of noise :) it sounds very close to the sound of the jet, but it's a little less
consistent, it goes up and down and it's very loud when i go flat and when it's cold. i heard myself on
video once and was surprised how loud i was.

as for relying on pro-tracks, i have two of them in my helmet. pro-dytters, actually, i have a pro-track on
my harness. so if one of them in the shadow, another one is not. i never missed my alititude. plus
i get a bit anxios about 40 seconds mark and expect my altitude warning any second at that time. at that
moment i'm at about 5500 ft and i also look directly at the ground. so it's hard for me to miss my break off altitude. lots of divers don't look down though and they have to rely on audible blindly. kinda scary going
almost 300 mph down :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

plus
i get a bit anxios about 40 seconds mark and expect my altitude warning any second at that time. at that
moment i'm at about 5500 ft and i also look directly at the ground. so it's hard for me to miss my break off altitude. lots of divers don't look down though and they have to rely on audible blindly. kinda scary going
almost 300 mph down :)

Do you look directly at ground through the whole dive? Not trying to be an ass here, but I asked you about this same thing in email and I thought you said it was not possible to look at the ground?

I've been working on my sit/stand transitions in FF lately and I hold my stand a little longer each time, I've reached 180 (I know, not much for you, but fast for me) according to PT in my helmet, but I need to put it on my lateral... I'm becoming a speed stander. :) I can't look straight down but I can see the ground with my eyes and my first warning (two audibles) is set to go off at 6k, which I can also recognize pretty well with my eyes.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Do you look directly at ground through the whole dive? Not trying to be an ass here, but I asked you about this same thing in email and I thought you said it was not possible to look at the ground?

i look directly at the gorund for the whole dive. not many speed diver do that though. i don't think i told
you i didn't look down.

stan.

--
Speed Skydiving Forum

Ok, you're right, here's what you told me, I remembered it wrong. You did say that "most" people don't look, but you also gave me the impression that your vision would blur somehow.

most people don't look at the ground at all and they can't eye-ball the ground. even if you can, it's not very good way to judge your altitude. at higher speed the vision will blur, plus any mistake of judgment will cost a lot. audibles are the way to go for nowdays.

So another question, do you actually have your face towards the ground or just your eyes? I've seen pictures of the speed position (which I don't know entirely what the "correct" one is if there is such a thing) and in some the guy's neck is straight and his face directed at horizon, others his neck is bent and he is facing ground (equivalent to a guy standing on the ground staring at the sky).

Thanks.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com