ReLLiK75

AAD Required in Australia?

To be pedantic, to have the F licence equivelent signed off, you need the ASO to sign as well.

I've had a look through the OpRegs. I can't find anything relating directly to jumping without an approved AAD. 5.1.8 says you need written permission to jump without an alti. 5.7.15 is lowering of opening altitude for display A and B licence holders.

8.7.1 says that you can waive sections of the OpRegs.

8.7. WAIVERS TO THESE REGULATIONS
8.7.1. The Director Safety, Director Instructors, and Director Rigging are empowered, with
prior agreement of CASA, to waive regulations affecting their particular area of
operations. All such waivers must be in writing with copies to the local Council, the
APF Secretariat and CASA.

5.1.15 and .16 deal with AADs. Basically, A-C licence holders must jump with an approved AAD. E and F licence holders don't have to. D licence holders either jump an approved AAD or a functioning RSL.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Wow, you have too much time on your hands mate!!!

If there's ammendments I just ask dad what they are and when they come into effect...

one of the nice things about having an instructor/APF board member for a dad!:P:D

The downside?? When he grounds you:
When you're under 18 it means you can't jump and you can't go out!!
When you're over 18 it still means you can't jump!!
:D:$[:/]
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

> Here's a different take on the AAD issue: they also offer some protection
> for people and property on the ground.

I don't buy that. It would make far more sense to require BRS systems in aircraft; after all, your house will probably survive being hit by a skydiver (might need a new roof) but will not survive being hit by an airplane.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee! Hee!
Ballistic Recovery Systems had so much fun certifying their recovery system for Cessna's 172 that now they are doing preliminary testing on a Cessna 182.
Installing a (40-50 pound) BRS on a Cessna 182 would mean fewer jumpers on board and more expensive jump tickets, but hey, the neighbors would be safer!
Hee! Hee!

my current rig (Had less than 70 jumps on the main, none on the reserve and it cost me $600).

Right now, I'm not sure if I should look at a new container that's AAD ready and stick my 215 main in it, or just wait until I'm ready to downsize and go buy the whole thing in one shot...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

According to your profile, you jump a Prestige container.
According to the purple Cypres binder, any (Airtec approved) Master Rigger can sew a Cypres into your container.

Hi, you can view the Opregs on the APF website regarding requirements for licences etc. There is also a section about jumpers visiting from overseas.

http://www.apf.asn.au/apf_admin/downloads/opregs2003.pdf

New regulations come into effect next month, but I don't have my copy with me to say if the
E Licence/AAD/Overseas Visitor bits have changed.

It might be worth emailing the APF to get definite answers.
Kaz
Never ever ever give up

As Far as the OP Regs go you'll be OK but the DZSO or CI my require at least an RSL,
You'd be fine at my DZ, but I can't speak for all in Oz.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

an A-Licence can have a Cypres fire whilst in a headdown position on a Freefly dive with another Skydiver of similar experience

B lic is min requirement for ff in op regs....

"Oh well, I guess that's what a Cypres is for then".

I would have said get a new sport/hobby at this point, but that's me....

Doesn't anyone else get the feeling that for a large proportion of newcomer/lowtimers in the sport that the ground just isnt scary enough anymore???

Been speaking to a new jumper who had a cypress fire...states he wasn't scared at any point, even though he knew he was under 1500ft.....Very very scary....:o:SB|

Hmm, that means when I buy a DZ and become Director of the APF, maybe I can legislate for the age limits to be dropped to say - 6 years old....

Ummm did I miss something??? The age limits won't drop anytime soon....and no, I would not recommend starting on about liability and insurance...

DZ owners can become even more filthily rich off of poor over-technologied and stupid skydivers.

Do you have any idea about what it takes to run a dz?
Ever manifested?
Ever lost sleep over an accident at your dz that you couldn't have prevented?
Did a dz operator ban you from jumping or something??!;)

I urge you some caution, there's always more to things than meets the eye....:S

However I do agree with you on one thing- I fear people in general are trying to make things too idiot proof and are f***ing up the darwinian process....damn the bloody lawyers!!!!:D

"Where was the strainer when they were cleaning out the gene pool????!!!":D:P
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

AAD's will become mandatory eventually....or that's what I heard....after all, how many people have f lic?
xj

Hey,
It's interesting the amount of debate that can be sparked by a few chosen words.

Stirring the apple cart can be a good thing. No I haven't been banned from jumping EVER (yet), I have been subjected to a couple of money hungry DZ operators however (worked for them).

Well, as far as two A-licence people not being ALLOWED to freefly together.... can you answer honestly and state that this doesn't occur??? Is there a DZSO following A-licence jumpers out the door at your DZ??

Please don't take offence at my original post.... I wrote it a while ago and was probably feeling a little narcy, and there was a certain amount of sarcasm in it.

I understand you are related to someone involved in the running of a DZ, and I believe I have jumped at your DZ quite recently - just wanted to say the following on that note.

When there is an unfortunate incident in skydiving, aside from relatives and close friends of the deceased, my thoughts firstly go out to the unfortunate DZSO and CI, instructors and witnesses. I've been around skydiving for almost eleven years and have only seen one of these incidences. Please take the "filthy-rich DZ-operator" comment with a grain of salt - this was a little tongue in cheek and not really aimed at anyone in particular.

Anyway Jasmin, I hope you are enjoying skydiving and that the weather down there is better than up here for this weekend - cos I've planned a party weekend at my DZ this weekend for my 30th, and the weather looks like crap.

Please send my regards to Ray who lives at your DZ, and say hi to Adrian and his daughter the packing princess!

Blue Skies,
Corey.

Will pass on a hi to Ray, Adrian and Shona (the packing princess) for 'ya

Yeah I agree debate is good, but you'd be suprised how many people really think the dz op's have it easy.

I've manifested my fair share, including the nat's training camp and one thing can be said for a lot of jumpers (Picton, Nagambie, Rambler's and Barwon in particular) they're bloody spoilt!!! They complain the most and abuse you the most!!!!!:S

I've jumped at quite a few small dz's and I love the comraderie and closeness (although that can play the other way very badly....not naming names....) I turned up with what I considered to be very few jumps and people were begging to jump with me!!:P

Conversely, I love the skyvan, I love being able to do a 16-way for the hell of it (Love stars and stripes!!) and I like having such a diverse group to jump with. I also love the opportunities that afforded me in who I learn to skydive with.

But on the original topic, by sheer streak of numbers, you'll see more reasons for cypress' on bigger dz's than smaller dz's...and I've seen 3 too many...
xj