jumpinmunky

Is it cool just to hang out?

I've got 40 jumps at my DZ and 2 Base up at Twin Falls. I feel I am more than just a wanna be. I haven't been to the DZ since I got married because I haven't had the $. And it doesn't look like i will be able to jump for another year(until I get out of school) My wife is totally cool with jumping.(our 1st date was at the DZ) Seeing I can't jump anytime soon is it cool for me to just hang out at the DZ for a year? I kind of feel like a poser.
peace

Its not just hanging out at a DZ, its hanging out with your mates - good luck being on a DZ and not jumping though! maybe you should take up packing - to pass the time and earn jump money :)
there's a girl at my dz who dislocated her shoulder over a year ago and has just had a second operation on it (jumping by easter hopefully) she's been up pretty much every weekend since.
you should always be welcome

[ I kind of feel like a poser.
If you were able to come hang out and you didn't I would question your friendship.
"Just" comming to the DZ and hanging out says alot of good things about you, like.....Friend
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

It is rare to find a DZ that will do anything but welcome someone who wants to just spend time there. Well, unless that individual is a dork. But you don't seem like a dork, so you must be safe.

Now if you want to become good friends with everyone, and be part of the DZ, become a packer. Get a little extra money, sure, but you will be as involved and entrenched in the scene as anyone else. And get people to hand you a beer now and then too, when you do really good. :)
But by all means, get out there and enjoy yourself.

I know at my DZ, people stop by all the time, don't jump, just hang out. I made a comment to my JM about coming up this weekend if I didn't have to work, not jumping, but just picking up some pointers and hanging out and if that would be okay and he was okay with it. So, I am assuming that most DZ's are like this, a little family actually.

Whenever I don't have the money to jump I tend to go to the DZ anyway, and usually I grab a camera and go stand in the landing area for a while, taking pics. People tend to appreciate landing pics because a lot of them don't have any. Usually I put them on my website later, which a lot of people appreciate too, and I publish pics now and then in our national magazine.
Just my way of passing time....
Or I start packing (only seldom, when I'm really really down on money) or sometimes I drive the van (earnes a jump). Or do computer stuff for others. Or just plain hang out ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

hell yeah... Lately i've been spending alot of time at the dz, i've been jumping quite a bit, but i like to just walk around and ask questions and get pointers from people. I think people see that i'm just there to learn more about the sport, and they embrace that. It is definitely like a family. But like it was said before, its HARD not to jump when you're always there, its like, ah what the hell, might as well. LOL. thats where you get in financial trouble. so might as well just start packing B|

its HARD not to jump when you're always there

So true! I can't stay at the dz for very long looking up at cloudless, blue skies....listening to the caravan or otter as it taxis past....listening to the sliders flapping in the wind....nope, not very long before I'm charging a jump, gearing up, and taking a one-way plane ride to altitude. ;)

For the times that I've stayed grounded, though, the company at the dz is always good. Especially in Sebastian, but I'm biased! So, hang out, talk, watch some landings and video, and don't worry about the rest of it!
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Just being at the dz will help with you currency. Watching landings and talking to skydivers keeps you in the loop. If you stay away for more than a month you loose most every thing.
The packing idea is about the best, at least you’ll make enough to jump every weekend.

Dave
D830
http://www.skydiving.co.za