Auryn

Strange Hop and Pop..

>Unless you exit at less then 50 mph, a bungee pilot chute will make
>no difference at all.

A friend of mine, Buzz, once made 33 jumps in a day for his 33rd birthday. I made maybe 10 jumps with him, and got to see what was happening on his bungee collapsible on several jumps. He'd toss it out, it would sit there uninflated, inflate for a second, pull the pin, deflate again and just dangle there. All the time he was gaining speed of course so it eventually pulled the bag out. Exit speed was 70kts or so (Cessna 206.) Made me glad I had a kill line.

Afterwards a rigger checked it out and pronounced it good.

You are right that bungee collapsibles will work if the wind's over 50mph - but the burble behind you sometimes won't give you an average of 50mph even if your exit speed is 80mph.

How long is your bridal? I bought a small pilot chute system with a short bridal (I didn't ask for the short bridal) and always experienced delays at slower speeds - so much so that I reverted to my original pilot chute system.

Just a thought.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

When the BSR states a minimum opening altitude, does that mean that one must begin wave-off/deployment procedures at this altitude or is this the minimum altitude one should be at under a deploying/deployed main?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most DZs interpret that as "show a pilotchute above altitude X" or go crater somewhere else.

I believe the BSRs call these altitudes "container opening" altitudes. Since the PC is supposed to tug the pin pretty durn quickly after it inflates, I concur with Riggerrob that this would likely be a "show a PC" altitude from the S&TA's point of view.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

toss to soon out the door and line twists can occur. due to the prop blast.

I can honestly say I've never had that happen...not saying it couldnt but I'd attribute bad body position and a rushed pull to something like that before prop blast.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have done 3 IAD jumps which are basically hop n pops but the instructor drops your pilot chute after you exit. My last one, I had an 8 second delay from 3800 ft. I was getting very nervous. I was getting ready to pull my reserve and rolled onto my side. at that point the main popped. sooo happy! The risers hit me on the side and cut me up under my armpit. not fun!

I have been making them for 10 years and jumping them for longer. If made right they will open between 40 and 45 mph on a steady acceleration and just over 30 when placed into the air stream. While doing test for an ATPS contractor, I would piggy back test of the design and make sure it would deploy constituency. I have done C&P's from 2000 to 6000 sometimes carrying up to 40 pounds of demo gear and have never had a problem. But the bungee has to be the right type and the right length for the diameter of the PC.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a bungy kill line the delay will be very noticable on a hop and pop.

Unless you exit at less then 50 mph, a bungee pilot chute will make no difference at all. If it takes more than 50 mph hour to open it is not made right. Testing them out of a car window will prove nothing unless you drive 80/100 mph and then throw it out the window. That is really going to hurt. Bungee P/C's not working on a C&P is just another urban legend.
Sparky

Maybe I should be a bit more precise. Depending on exit speed, and the moment when you deploy, with a bungee system, you may experience a slight delay.
A bungee system does work on hop n pops. I have seen them work with no problem at an exit altitude of 1400 ft.
Even being more precise, I could still be wrong, in that by the time you have lost your forward throw speed you have always gained enough vertical speed for the bungee to inflate immediately. However, as I said in another part of my post, pilot chutes do not last forever, if it is worn the speed required to inflate it may be higher, resulting in a slight delay.

However, as I said in another part of my post, pilot chutes do not last forever, if it is worn the speed required to inflate it may be higher, resulting in a slight delay.

Thats one of the advantages of a bungee PC. If the bungee breaks or wears out, you have a regular PC.
Sparky

However, as I said in another part of my post, pilot chutes do not last forever, if it is worn the speed required to inflate it may be higher, resulting in a slight delay.

Thats one of the advantages of a bungee PC. If the bungee breaks or wears out, you have a regular PC.
Sparky

Advantages over what? A kill line pilot chute has the same characteristic.

Bungee pilot chutes are strictly from hunger. If you jump a Class V canopy, a bungee pilot chute is an invitation to disaster.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Bungee pilot chutes are strictly from hunger. If you jump a Class V canopy, a bungee pilot chute is an invitation to disaster.

It sounds cute, but I have no idea what you are saying, a Class V canopy? On a kill line P/C made with spectra, every jump you make it gets closer to not working. The spectra starts to shrink on the first jump. If you do not watch it closely you have an invitation to disaster. I have never seen or heard of one failing to work and have never seen or heard of someone forgetting to cock one.

I was not referring to the bungee wearing out, I was referring to the material from which the pilot chute is made

If the cap is made of ZP they should last for 100's of jumps, the mesh is the weak point. Its a good idea to give a good look over to you P/C at least every weekend no matter what type it is.
Sparky

It sounds cute, but I have no idea what you are saying, a Class V canopy?

From http://www.icaruscanopies.com/choosing.htm

Class 5
Extreme
1.65 to 2.00 Lbs/SqFt wing loading

Not for the faint hearted. If you are one of the few people that want to fly a class 5 canopy consider every aspect of what you are doing very carefully. On the up side there is very exhilarating airspeed, quick response times and powerful maneuverability. On the down side our margin for error has reduced to almost nothing (!), compounded by the fact that if we do make an error we are almost certainly traveling at speeds that can maim. If you have or are considering a class 5 canopy we can't tell you how to fly it in this overview, we must assume you know what you are doing. Most people I watch flying class 5 canopies don't fly them to the limits of the canopy and the performance they achieve from their canopy could be achieved from a class 4 canopy flown to its limits with a far greater safety margin. These canopies generally have to be run out on landing. They must be fitted with a collapsible pilot chute. Lowering and collapsing the slider and loosening the chest strap is recommended. Canopy recovery arcs can be over 400 Ft radius. The step from a class 4 canopy to a class 5 canopy can be quite large i.e. for a 80 kg jumper with gear and weights the difference between a 105 and a 95 feels similar to the difference between a 130 and a 105

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Did you deploy above the BRS required altitude for your license? Were you under an open canopy above your decision altitude?

When the BSR states a minimum opening altitude, does that mean that one must begin wave-off/deployment procedures at this altitude or is this the minimum altitude one should be at under a deploying/deployed main?

The BSR minimum altitudes state that a "container must be open" by said altitude, IE the jumper has to pull by that time and begin deployment.

Blue Ones !

D 27808