mfrese

Anyone gotten burned out on skydiving?

I've come close to quitting a few times. The DZ politics is something that is easy to ignore if you try hard enough....and I found that as long as you stay away from serious "team" stuff (ok, you won the gold, now whats next??) and keep the jumps fun...you will last longer. Also, don't live on the DZ, otherwise you will burn out quick. The losing friends part is the hardest to deal with, and I've lost too many already. During the worst of it I didn't jump for almost 9 months, and stayed away from the DZ for the most part.

During that time, I found I really missed my friends, and the fun that I could only get at the DZ. Once I went back I found that A LOT of the faces had changed and many were making/talking about many of the newbie mistakes that we tend to bitch about on here. Team Funnel and the rest of the airport went into overdrive and led by example....now it's hard for most of the newbies to get away with those mistakes because everyone on the dz, one of the largest dz's in the country, has the safety mindset. It makes life a lot easier when everyone is working to prevent stupid mistakes...esp when the DZO's (Rook and Missy) are leading the pack.

My attitude and perspective has changed drastically since that first jump I made 5 years ago....of course I can't go back to that newbie feeling, but change is constant and you have to stay in this sport for yourself. The fire and drive isn't as strong as it once was - but it has help me find a way to make skydiving a part of my life instead of all of my life.

You know - I've never understood the thin skin that so many jumpers have. There is no room for thin skin in this sport, people die if you treat them with kid gloves. You need to tell people they are stupid and they are going to kill themself and possibly bring a few with them. This sport needs honesty, and not everyone at the DZ is going to be your friend, just like everyone you meet in life isn't going to be your friend. A family is a close knit group under one roof that shares a common cause, but it doesn't mean we all like each other and there won't be fights. A DZ is a nice escape from the real-world, but it isn't Utopia. There are going to be people that will tease you etc.....so what? Find another group of friends, or just wait, some more will show up in time. Every season at the DZ is something new.

The people at the DZ are my friends and family. They have been there to tell me to go to hell, and have helped me thru some tough times, and I am not friends with everyone out there. In fact, there are a few that really annoy the hell out of me, but they are part of the DZ and are skydivers, so I can put up with their BS.

Also, I've never understood the skydiver mentality of getting rid of all your whuffo friends. I've had the same group of friends for 17 years during HS, College, apartments, jobs, and now as we are all getting houses/families. Yea, they were tired of hearing me talk about jumping the first year or so, now, it's just a part of me and they accept it, simply because they are my friends.....and having those whuffo friends has helped me maintain a balance between the dz and the real-world.

Skydiving has helped me put things in perspective over the years, and I am thankful for that. I realize now what is really important in life, and both the good and the bad experiences since my first jump have been worth it.

VERY true regarding what if you were forced to give up jumping for a while or longer as in what would you do if skydiving was your be all and end all hobby. Kinda starting to get that way with me at the moment but I do have a few things out there still other than jumping that I like doing. "If you truly love something it will return to your favour and prescence with time." BSBD - Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I quit for 20 years and went back for a while, then quit again for 10 years. In the last 2 years I have 250 jumps. During all of the lay-off time, whenever I saw a beautiful blue sky and moderate winds, I had the urge to jump. It's in me and I can lay-off, but I can't and don't want to get away permanently.

The lay-offs gave me time to do things that I also would not have wanted to miss.

Ed

No, I'm not 100 yet ;)

You know - I've never understood the thin skin that so many jumpers have.

Bo, are you calling me thin skinned??? :o>:(:P

This sport needs honesty, and not everyone at the DZ is going to be your friend, just like everyone you meet in life isn't going to be your friend. A family is a close knit group under one roof that shares a common cause, but it doesn't mean we all like each other and there won't be fights.

Oh, thank goodness that not everyone at every dz wants to be my friend; there are so many jackasses in this sport, and I'm glad that not all of them want to be my friend! As far as honesty goes, if someone is trying to give me advice about my skydiving, I see what that advice is and who it's coming from. I've f-ed up enough times in the sport, and I'll take the smack upside the head when deserved. I've also appreciated the honesty I've received from others on my skydiving and canopy control. I think the sport could use less "honesty" when it's "experienced" jumpers giving out advice. It's also funny how "honesty" comes into play when jealousy, anger and other bad feelings are involved.

The people at the DZ are my friends and family.

I will never have that view. From some of the posts in the Women's Forum, it's obvious that there are rapists at dzs. I will not consider everyone at a dz "family" for that reason. I would never choose a rapist to be a part of my family. Also, it's really hard to consider the creepy men who can't seem to find my face as family. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, many men think that being at a dropzone makes it okay to objectify women and stare at their bodies. I feel much safer and more comfortable coming into work where men have respect for me. I never feel creeped out at work.

Also, I've never understood the skydiver mentality of getting rid of all your whuffo friends.

I completely agree. I have friends from when I was 2 years old still. They may not love skydiving, but they all have weirdo things that they're into. I love my whuffo friends (if I really want to party, I don't go to the dz...skydivers really don't know how to party. My whuffo friends do! :ph34r:)

Skydiving has helped me put things in perspective over the years, and I am thankful for that. I realize now what is really important in life, and both the good and the bad experiences since my first jump have been worth it.

I completely agree. I have met some really incredible people through skydiving, and I've seen some of the most selfless acts from skydivers. I love experiencing the closest thing to body flight there is...it's incredible! If I could be surrounded by all the people I really like and just play around in the sky all day, I'd be all happy shmappy. But, as much I can turn the other cheek and the stupid crap that annoys me, I'm just not good at it....it still annoys me. It annoys me to see cliques at "friendly" dzs (oh...and don't get me started on "My dz is better than yours" crap....) I understand serious competition, but I can't understand tiny, petty crap at a dz ("Well, we just turned 4 more points than you, so we're better!") It's also hard to ignore the overly loud people in the sport. People who talk loud and have nothing to say are hard to get away from.

Honestly, I doubt I would've felt "burnt out" if my home dz was the one in Goshen (it's 2 hours away, though...) I have seen situations like I described above at every dz except for Goshen. It really is all about fun and safety there. No egos...no drama...no "I'm better than you"....it's just fun.

Sorry for the rant...not much to do today, I guess!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning