frankiebrina

What do you think the katana is going to be like?

Nooooo, I just guessed that the planforms and the airfoil of both the Samurai and the Katana are nearly identical. Maybe the couple Katanas I've seen were just mislabeled Samurais without the airlocks. After all, they are both cut on the same table.

The name's probably a coincidence too. Katana is the Japanese word for "Samurai sword."

I probably would have never noticed any of this had I not laid my Lotus 170 on a Sabre2 and found them to be nearly identical as well.

Please tho, do correct me if I am wrong, or if my eyes weren't working well during my discoveries, or if the canopies I have seen have been mislabled.

Nonetheless, when I can get my hands on another Katana for a longer period of time, I will be measuring every possible dimention against a Sam.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Airlocks and lines.

Its funny because I used to think my Lotus was soooooo much different than a Sabre2 because of the differences in how they flew. Then I compared them physically. I was stunned to see how perfectly they matched, to say the least. The Sabre2 was a little more elliptical, had different lines and was lacking airlocks. Those were the only three differences. Upon further reflection and experience with the two, I realized the only differences in flight characteristics was based on trim and the rigidity airlocks provide.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

I'll give you one thing, you're dedicated to your airlocks. Nothing wrong with that.

Ok so for what ever reason let's assume you're right (we havent talked about cell construction, airfoil thickness inflated, ect.) and they are the same airfoil. The fact they fly differently makes them two different canopies.

So if we furthur extrapolate to the Samuri and Katana what is the point in the statement "like a Samuri without the airlocks"? It's going to be a differnt canopy. Even if there were any validity to the statement, I'd probably rather jump the Katana because I have not found an airlocked canopy I've enjoyed flying.

Have fun.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Soooo, if a canopy by one company is the same as a canopy from another company, except for missing something like airlocks (oh, and the crossports are oblong on one and two circles on another) and therefor flys a little different, that's okay?

Maybe this is really nothing more than the normal smoke and mirrors of marketing a new product. Ya know: "nothing new under the sun?" I am not even sure that Brian Germain didn't design the canopy for PD. I think that alone would be a big selling point, but haven't heard anything to indicate that was true.

It's just that all the hype about the Katana being some revolutionary design "ready to slice up the competition" really popped like a big balloon for me, because all I see is a Samurai without airlocks.

mike

Soooo, if a canopy by one company is the same as a canopy from another company, except for missing something like airlocks (oh, and the crossports are oblong on one and two circles on another) and therefor flys a little different, that's okay?

You missed the point. I could argue that a Formula 1 car, and a station wagon are the same thing cause they both have an internal combustion engine, 4 wheels and the same control systems that they are the same thing. I very much doubt that if you had a Sabre 2 and a lotus and placed the pieces on top of one another prior to assembly you would see the same thing.

The Xaos line of canopies are admited to be an evolution of the FX EXTreme, and the VX Extreme, but the are most definately not the same canopy.

I am not even sure that Brian Germain didn't design the canopy for PD.

I doubt it, as John LeBlanc claimed to be the designer.

It's just that all the hype about the Katana being some revolutionary design "ready to slice up the competition" really popped like a big balloon for me, because all I see is a Samurai without airlocks.

Again, I think you're creating a story where there is none. When the Crossfire came out it was heralded as some magical new design, different than anythng ever produced. Guess what, it's a 9 cell ram air "eliptical" canopy that when compared to another canopy of the same catagory, looks very similar.

Anyway, time will tell, and After I fly a Katana I'll be able to venture my opinion of it. We'll see if it can replace a Stiletto for me (not that I've flown one in a while).
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I very much doubt that if you had a Sabre 2 and a lotus and placed the pieces on top of one another prior to assembly you would see the same thing.

Yeah, I looked at individual panels too. Being that they are both assembled by the same women on the same machines, I would assume what is absorbed in the stitchrows to be the same as well.

Like I said, if you doubt my findings, try it yourself. I am asking to be proven wrong.

mike

Its not a Samurai at all. Think of canopies as having to fit into certian markets. There are 1000 designs that will meet the requirements to get to that level of proformance. All the designs are going to have a lot of similar traits, but its the small things that make each canopy unique.

Ask Brian about the Cad templetes and how many points the Lotus/Sabre2 match up. Its a lot, but there are differences also. And its those differences that make each canopy unique.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com