Vimes

Canopy stalling and recovery

Hi I am new to skydiving and have heard people talk of stalling their canopies and then recovering them. I have a rough idea of what this is but would like it clarified, if you don't mind.

Also is this a good thing for me to try. I have 47 jumps; my main is a spectre 170.

Any thoughts.

Laters

Also is this a good thing for me to try. I have 47 jumps; my main is a spectre 170.

Yes you should always pull high and play with a new canopy to get the proper feel for it.

Knowing the stall point is very important.

Get with an instructor at your DZ and ask him more about it. If you can get to a canopy control class it would be even better. It is definitely worth the time and money.

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Hey Ian,

There are some great docs right here on dz.com which will explain stalls (and a whole lot more). Have a look here.

I'd say it was more than a good thing - it's essential. Knowing where your canopy's stall point is and how it reacts when you stall it and recover it could save your arse one day. Just make sure that if you're trying stuff you do it up high where (in the worst case scenario) you have time to cutaway and get your reserve out. And, as always, seek the advice of your old instructors or experienced canopy pilots at your dz.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

To stall a canopy you simply go into a deep flare until the canopy no longer has sufficient forward speed to stay fully inflated. With a non-tapered wing at a low to moderate wing loading the canopy will begin to shudder and the tail fold back until the right and left sides touch. The canopy flies much like a round at this point and you sink quickly. To recover from a stall, and this is important, you simply SLOWLY release the brakes and return to full flight. Quickly releasing the brakes causes the canopy to surge forward and it can pass under you causing you to fall into the lines and possibly into the canopy itself. As with all new canopy techniques they should be tried at high altitudes. At higher wing loadings or with canopies that have elliptical wings stalling a canopy can cause it to quickly spin up into line twists which may be unrecoverable.

Is it a good idea to try? With the right canopy I think so. Learning how a canopy feels and acts before and during a stall only increases your knowledge of canopy flight. And the more you know the less likely you are to crash in. As always, ask an instructor at your DZ for advice before attempting your first stall. They will let you know if your ready to try it and if you have the right equipment.

Blue Skies

a 7 cell canopy like the spectre wont horseshoe like you were saying.. 9 cell canopies like the sabre and stuff do that though. If you stall the spectre, and hold it, eventually the pilot chute will go over to the nose, and you'll start flying backwards. i definitely suggest being at a high altitude in case you panic and forget to SLOOOOWLY raise the toggles. lol.

Funky, I'm going to have to find someone with a Spectre and try stalling it. I jump a 7 cell Triathlon and it folds up just like a 9cell.

Look no further. I've intentionally done it on a Spectre 190 loaded at 1.35. It horseshoes just like a 9-cell does.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

if you plan to experiment there's something NOT to try: completely stalling your canopy and quickly releasing one toggle - this will send you spiraling backwards and the chance of ending up in severe linetwists is near 100 % (which may lead to a cut-away) B|

so play with you canopy, find out about the flying characteristics as much as you can - but play in a safe altitude and you will be fine
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666