Kramer

USPA's Medical Requirements

I took the advice of a jumper (jmpnkramer), and started reading the SIM to aquire more knowledge about the sport. I've stumbled upon a question already.

I attached a pic of the item I am questioning.

I know that I have not done any of the three things listed...is this commonplace?

-Kramer

Edit: Okay...now I'm thinking there is a chance that I did letter "C". Does that pretty much just consist of signing a waiver?

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

That waiver thing you sign at the DZ, have you ever read one? Basically contained within are statements that you're in good health, etc. That's the USPA's requirements worded into the DZ's waiver.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I couldn't say for sure if I ever read the thing or not...I do recall my FJC Instructor basically just telling us to sign X paper saying that we don't have anything wrong with us, and that we understand the risks of what we're about to do. Kind of an in-and-out job...

I can't exactly recall reading the thing top to bottom though...I'll have to get my hands on one (not that I doubt my physical condition or anything).

Thanks Dave

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

A class 3 medical is really a joke. If you know you're in good physical shape, definitely don't bother getting an FAA medical. The exam takes maybe 10 minutes at the most and costs around $80. Hell, the paperwork takes longer than the exam. The FAA really should just do away with the exam for those under 40 years old. Medical self certification is the way to go! USPA is right for once! :)
Dave

A class 3 medical is really a joke. If you know you're in good physical shape, definitely don't bother getting an FAA medical. The exam takes maybe 10 minutes at the most and costs around $80. Hell, the paperwork takes longer than the exam. The FAA really should just do away with the exam for those under 40 years old. Medical self certification is the way to go! USPA is right for once! :)

Dave

yes the class 3 is a joke...

"sir here is the eye chart i want you to look at......(points to eye chart right next to me) now walk down to the end of the hall and read this line for me ( points to line)" then i look then wlak to end of hall then read what i already read when i was standing next to it....

Hehe, yup... I was reading the same line over and over... left eye, then right eye, then both, etc... Finally he asked me to read it backwards just to make sure I hadn't just memorized it. According to the test, my (corrected) vision is better than 20/20. Uncorrected is waaay off the chart.

But at least I have perfect color vision and good hearing. :)
Dave

Don't worry about class 3's till you start TM'n, as stated

And when you start TMing, don't worry about it, just pay for it and get it. I think the only way not to recieve a Class 3 is to have your heart explode during the examination and a lung deflate.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dave

yes the class 3 is a joke...

"sir here is the eye chart i want you to look at......(points to eye chart right next to me) now walk down to the end of the hall and read this line for me ( points to line)" then i look then wlak to end of hall then read what i already read when i was standing next to it....

wow, you mean you didn't have to bend over and touch your toes? or cough. I must have got the bonus checkup.......man his hands were cold.
The ground always, remembers where you are!

If your interested, in the 2003 SIM, pg 21

USPA STATEMENT OF MEDICAL FITNESS

"I represent and warrant that I have no known physical or mental infirmities that would impair my ability to participate in skydiving, or if I do have any such infirmities, that they have been successfully treated so that they do not represent any foreseeable risk while skydiving, or that they are being successfully treated so that they do not represent any foreseeable risk while skydiving.

"I also represent and warrant that I am not taking any medications or substances, prescription, or otherwise, that would impair my ability to participate in skydiving."