Raistlin

Reserve Size

I think the only demo gear available here is Atair's... but not PD, definitely not.

If I really, really wanted to, I guess I could take someone's reserve (I don't think anyone at my DZ flies a Diablo, let alone a Tri), pack it as my main and jump it? That'll be the cost of a jump, a repack and quite a few beers! :)

two problems with that idea (don't know if you were serious)

1) I don't believe you're allowed/supposed to use a canopy that has ever been jumped as a main as a reserve.

2) there's not going to be a d-bag/bridle attatchment point on the reserve...

>1) I don't believe you're allowed/supposed to use a canopy that has
>ever been jumped as a main as a reserve.

Any reserve that has been packed and signed off by a rigger is legal to jump. Different riggers have different opinions on whether or not a deployed reserve can be repacked. Since a reserve deployment is no different than a main deployment, many riggers have no problem with that. Some companies say explicitly that you can put a jump on a reserve as a main before packing it.

>2) there's not going to be a d-bag/bridle attatchment point on the reserve...

There are a few ways around that. One is to just have the D-bag detach; the canopy will still open fine, you just have to find the D-bag. Another is to use a line that runs up to the canopy and keeps the D-bag captive. It's stowed with the rest of the canopy lines, and goes from a link to the bridle attach point on the D-bag. This increases your risk of a mal a bit though since you have another line to get wrapped around things.

And the price is unbeatable.

All personal equipment price savings in skydiving are erased instantly when a component breaks the jumper.

What is the price difference between this reserve and one that you would feel comfortable with? Because being comfortable with two handles in two hands about to cut away is worth a lot of money.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Here are some things to take into consideration. Most container systems are sold with the reserve being smaller than the main. Of course when you begin to get into airlocked and cross-braced canopies this changes drastically as there is way more fabric to now fit in the container. The idea of the larger reserve is fine if you're willing to sew pillows in your container.
Suggesting to fly a triathlon to have an idea of how an F111 7 cell will fly seems a little strange. ZeroP and F111 fly pretty different. It is not common to load F111 at 1:1, where as with zerop it is more common.
Another thing to consider is that in the last 5 years there have been a few deaths they may have been attributed to too heavily loaded reserves. What comes to mind is blown Aortas. It might be cool to have a tiny rig, but the question still stands at what will deploy safely and what you can land safely. It is your last chance.
The question of conscious or not, well... there's a lot of if's in skydiving... if they ruled every single decision, I'm sure none of us would be skydiving.

A new reserve flies like ZP anyway so a tri actually comes close, esp if you are not used to 7cells I think you can learn a lot from a tri. Even better, a lightning. I found that after I landed my lightning 126 a bunch of times, my next reserve ride on my 128 reserve was NO PROBLEM, it even has better flare ;) The lightning is ZP too btw. Best thing tho I suppose would be a demo reserve the same as yours if you can get it. But try a tri, lightning or maybe even a spectre, it may help a bit as well....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The lightning is ZP too btw

The lightning is ZP, halfF111/ZP, and all F111....depending on what you want to order.....

Here are some things to take into consideration. Most container systems are sold with the reserve being smaller than the main. Of course when you begin to get into airlocked and cross-braced canopies this changes drastically as there is way more fabric to now fit in the container. The idea of the larger reserve is fine if you're willing to sew pillows in your container.

I have a 218-m in my wings that is made for a 149 main...big reserve small main...wings will do this for anyone.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....