palejo

RE: safety question from a student

Hi guys. I'm new to the sport and have a little concern with the student rig I'm jumping.
After my last jump AFF2 I decided to learn some packing techniques with the same student rig I'm jumping so I went ahead and clearing my left side A lines I found that the canopy has a little rip right where the slider stop is sew (the size of a green pea)
Since is a new DZ and there's not a lot of choices on student gear I got a little concerned about it and I asked my instructors and they said the rip has been there for the last 100 jumps and is not getting any bigger and it is safe to jump it. There's no way to patch it because the rip on the edge of the slider stop.
I know that a little rip the size of a pea can get a lot bigger when the canopy opens at 120 MPH.
I love the sport and I would like to play it the safest possible since the margin for error is so extra NIL.
I'd really appreciate some feedback from those of you with more experience on what to expect from this rig.
Thanks
Alejandro
B27585

you'd have to have a rigger look at the problem to see if its really a problem.

My personal decision would be to not jump a canopy that has visible, unrepiared damage.

Remember, YOU are ultimately responsible for your own safety. if you are uncomfortable with jumping that canopy, act accordingly.

you'd have to have a rigger look at the problem to see if its really a problem.

My personal decision would be to not jump a canopy that has visible, unrepiared damage.

Remember, YOU are ultimately responsible for your own safety. if you are uncomfortable with jumping that canopy, act accordingly.

Heh take a look at my Lightning then ;)

My riggers says, if you can't put your finger through, leave it. Keep an eye on it, if the hole gets bigger, fix it.

If your instructors say it's safe it probably is... Get a second opinion if you're not sure, but from someone (rigger, instructor) that's SEEN this canopy...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Not a rigger, but in my opinion, you should not worry.

Holes that size in the canopy often don't get repaired if they don't grow.

Do you believe your instructor when he says it has been there for a lot of jumps and is not getting bigger?

If yes, then you have nothing to worry about.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A location like the stabilize tends to be a fairly low stressed area of the canopy so it should'nt recieve that much pressure. If the hole has been there for a bit and has'nt grown I'd ignore it. There are even canopy designs out there that the stabilizers are only sewed on at 3 points and the rest of the material flaps around.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks guys for all the quick replies. I'll get a final opinion from a rigger when I go to the DZ next weekend. I was just worry after reading about canopy check tips in the safety forums on things not to worry like little snags and pin holes but mine concern was a pea size bigger.
I will let you know after I get a rigger opinion and also how my next jump went.

Thanks a lot ;)
Alejandro
B27585