clint

Sept 11. Good day for Tandem or NOT?

I was thinking of having a boogie on the weekend of
Sept. 10-12. Do you think Tandem Students would come out that day or do you think that they are scared of planes on that day forever?

I know most skydivers dont' care!
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

I think as long as you don't promote the event in any way that reminds people of the attacks, you'll be fine.

Anything that reminds them of the attacks (or in fact just the dangers of flying in general) will hurt your event.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Being afraid to get on a plane is silly. I fly all the time. No biggie. I understand that what happend on Sept 11th was terrible and scary, but why be afraid to fly on THAT one day of the year? Terrorist attacks arent limited to only that day of the year to happen, they can happen any day, any time, anywhere.

:)

Terrorist attacks arent limited to only that day of the year to happen, they can happen any day, any time, anywhere.

Right, but people are stupid, they get all worked up about something like that and may not want to jump. Infact, some folks may think it would be disrespectful to do anything with a plane on that day, why? I have no idea, but people are weird.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

First of all -- whether or not -you- are afraid to fly is almost never the issue. What matters is what the customer thinks.

Believe it or not, most people are afraid of some very basic things because, well, it's a basic survivial instict: loud noises, heights, loss of control . . .

Flying is an incredible mixture ALL of these things. So, actually, it's quite natural for most people to be somewhat afraid to fly.

To remind people of why they -shouldn't- buy your product is what is silly.

Yes, terrorist attacks can happen any day of the year, but I think if you do a little amount of research, you'll find that terrorists also like to celebrate anniversaries of previous successful events with new events.
quade -

I wouldn't think of NOT jumping on that day. Give our enemies, both foreign and domestic, a big FUCK YOU!B|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

What about "jump for freedom boogie" 10% of profits will go to the 9/11 charity?

Like Quade said, it's not about us it's about the customer. Of course most of us "skydivers" don't care.
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

You have enough time to set up a real honest to goodness not-for-profit.

Might not be a bad idea, but does bring some amount of government scrutiny.

If you do NOT set up a not-for-profit, you might set yourself up for even more scrutiny though.

Make sure you have all the "T"s crossed and "I"s dotted if you decide to do a charity fund raiser.

I'd seek the advise of a tax person and small business lawyer.

I still think it's questionable marketing to remind folks of tragedy with regards to airplanes, but the patriotism might blow past all of that.
quade -