idoru99

Problem during AFF

Good evening all,
I completed my AFF Level 1 last Saturday, I couldn't do any more due to weather. I jumped my 2nd, 3rd and 4th today. That was a lot of information and a little frustration at the same time. During my third jump, I was quite unstable when the jumpmasters let go of me. Not too bad, but they were there to help block any movement. During my fourth jump, my instructor let go of me and I immediatly turned left. I was able to stop the turn, but as soon as I tried to hover, I started another left turn. Once again, I stopped the turn, had a little forward movement once my jumpmaster got my attention and got me to focus, I stopped turning and was able to move toward him. Then, as soon as I stopped my forward movement, I turned left again. Once again, I could stop the turn. All these left turns were unintentional and it's a little frustrating.
After talking with my jumpmaster and rethinking what happened during the jumps, I realize that I'm having a terrible time remembering to keep my toes pointed and legs from going crazy in the wind. I start thinking about my hands and arms, forgetting my legs and get unstable and turn.
Does anyone have any help? I really like the sport, I'm just getting a little frustated. I know I've only got 4 jumps. However, AFF was set up to teach the basics of the sport in 7. If I can't hover and fall in a stable arch, I think this is a problem. I just don't know how I can solve this and would really appreciate any and all help and information that anyone could pass on. Thanks

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

RELAX!!!

Remember that you didnt learn to drive in four lessons!! (I hope!):P

I am no AFF instructor but I can tell you that you will be amazed by the progress you will make in the next few jumps. I know what you want to hear, and it is true... this happens to almost everyone! but as if by magic when you get to level 7 you will suddenly find that you are able to do this stuff! Its like magic...B|:)
Trust your AFF instructor - with your help they will make it happen... My only real advice to to relax and enjoy the feeling - that will almost certainly help:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hi Brian!

I finally got all that pop corn cleaned up! But anyway...

Your leg thing.... This is minor in the big picture. It's a pretty easy fix too.

Try throwing some pillows down in front of the sofa. Then lay on the ground, belly down. Rest the tops of your feet on the sofa at a 45 degree angle like you would in freefall. (Except there is no sofa in freefall.) Apply some pressure to the sofa and arch. Remember to really feel that sofa with your feet. Just do some of these drills every now and then until your next jump. Build it into your muscle memory.

During a jump you will always apply some pressure with your legs. After a while you won't even have to think about it.

We weren't born in freefall. It's not natural to be arching and pushing down from your shins. After some ground practice and another skydive, you'll get your mind thinking that this position is not so bad, your body will kinda dig it and you'll be flying.

That's why we have 7 levels. So we can practice this stuff. If you already knew how to do it, we wouldn't need any levels. ;)

Kick ass up there tomorrow and I'll see ya when I see ya!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Don't wear any socks and roll the bottoms of your pants up a bit. My AFF instructor had a student in our class do this and she immediately stopped turning once she could feel the wind against her ankles. Might help. Anyhow, turning is very common, and you'll get it! Hang in there! Also might get a video of your next dive. Good luck!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I had to repeat level 4 because I could turn left but not right... I think just about everyone has to repeat a level or 2. Just becasue there are 7 levels, it doesn't mean it has to be done in 7 jumps.

The relax bit helped me a huge amount. I was quite stiff - your instructor will no doubt be making all the right noises so listen to them.. and good luck!! :)

The couch idea is a great one. Concentrate on pushing your hips off the floor a couple of in ches. Look into a mirror. Last thing, when you are in freefall, say out loud: Relax, arch, legs. After a jump of saying this outloud to yourself you may be fixed. What you experienced was not unstable. You are learning t fly your body. Unstable is going on your back or potatoe chipping so bad you have to be redocked or a spin that has to be stopped by your instructor. You sound like you don't have a big problem. Practice this and talk with your instructors and you will be tearing it up in no time.

For only 4 jumps I think you're being way to hard on yourself. I had a similar problem with spinning and found the wind tunnel to be a great deal of help. If you're near Perris, I suggest trying it.
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

I want to thank everyone for your suggestions and encouragement. I jumped level 5 today and it went a lot better than yesterday's. I had a stable arch and could hold heading without being docked with the instructor. I has a very controlled right turn (my unintentional turns were to the left) and stopped when I needed to. I had a small left turn when I tried to move forward, but I stopped that and then moved forward about 15 ft.
I also stopped wearing jeans to jump in. I think that wearing the jeans along with boots (due to a sprained ankle) was hurting a lot due to inability to feel the air on my legs. Today I wore running pants and tennins shoes, with ankle socks. I could feel the air pressure on my shins and feet and it worked out a lot better. I think the light bulb started to come on!:) I stepped ina friggin hole and rolled the ankle, but that'll be better by next weekend.;)
Again, thanks everyone. You were a great help.

Brian

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

Hi

My only advice is something that you have probably already heard. Hopefully I will just provide more validity to the advice you have already heard. The level that you are at is usually when students start having some minor problems. Believe me, your problem is minor in comparison to some other students.

First, don't allow yourself to become frustrated.

Secondly, don't get discouraged.

Thirdly, keep working on leg awareness.

Keep skydiving and having fun.

Don’t sweat it. Just stick with it. I had so many uncontrollable spins in AFF I thought they were going to nickname me “top” or “spinner”. I repeated L4 4 times and L5 4 times. I ended up going to a wind tunnel and working out the kinks. Blew through AFF and SDU after that. If you are near Orlando or Perris go hit the tunnel. 15 minutes should do it, more will do nothing but help.

In any case. Just stick with it.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Sounds like you did a good job. Now, give yourself a pat on the back.

I teach my students muscle memory. Get in the perfect body position laying on the ground in front of a mirror. Close your eyes and feel how each muscle feels. Now relax. Now, go back into that position, eyes still closed. Does it feel the same? If not, move those body parts till they do. Now, look in the mirror, is it right?

Remember, you will have good days and bad. Just don't let the bad days get you down.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey