CerealKilla

Front Risers

I have 11 jumps, and typically fly a Pilot 250 main. I have no problem doing rear riser turns, but when it comes to front risers, I can't budge them. I weigh about 200 lbs and think I should be able to at least budge them. After opening, I do my checks then begin learning more about the canopy. I attempt to move the front risers while flying into the wind, but NUTHing. I try to jump up a little to grab higher and use my weight to pull the fronts, but still nothing. Any advice? (I will as at my DZ, but while I am thinking about it, I decided o post to get off newbie status B|

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."

I have 11 jumps, and typically fly a Pilot 250 main. I have no problem doing rear riser turns, but when it comes to front risers, I can't budge them. I weigh about 200 lbs and think I should be able to at least budge them. After opening, I do my checks then begin learning more about the canopy. I attempt to move the front risers while flying into the wind, but NUTHing. I try to jump up a little to grab higher and use my weight to pull the fronts, but still nothing. Any advice? (I will as at my DZ, but while I am thinking about it, I decided o post to get off newbie status B|

alot of canopies have light rear riser pressure.. alot have heavy rear riser pressure.... when one is light like the "rear" then usually the other "front" will be heavy.. and vice versa.

with that size of canopy and your weight i wouldnt expect much from pulling on the risers...

there is a way to relieve some of the pressure temporarally from the front risers. and i would love to tell you.. but i think that needs to be done in person... so ask your instructor on what you can do to relieve some of the pressure on the front risers so that you can pull it down and see what it does..

Mark

alot of canopies have light rear riser pressure.. alot have heavy rear riser pressure.... when one is light like the "rear" then usually the other "front" will be heavy.. and vice versa.

with that size of canopy and your weight i wouldnt expect much from pulling on the risers...

there is a way to relieve some of the pressure temporarally from the front risers. and i would love to tell you.. but i think that needs to be done in person... so ask your instructor on what you can do to relieve some of the pressure on the front risers so that you can pull it down and see what it does..

Mark

Remember that when you're not pulling "G", that the sum of the four riser forces is equal to your weight. Since they will be balanced side to side, it follows that heavy front riser pressures means light rear pressures, and vice versa. The size of the canopy is immaterial, although its trim will have an effect on the front/rear distribution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I also am in a similar situation. Nav 280main and I'm 255lbs. I was playing with the fronts on my last jump and I pulled down as hard as I could on one riser and I got maybe a 45degree turn before I just coulden't hold it anymore. with being so heavy and having such a huge canopy above you its going to be hard to do radical turns.

Also on my last jump I pulled at 6k just to play with the canopy and I saw a tandem open maybe 500 feet below and 1000+ away from me. So I burried a toggle (one side down to my waist) and did 3-4 spirals, then looked and it didn't seem like I budged on altitude maybe got down a hundred feet or so.

I have 11 jumps, and typically fly a Pilot 250 main.

????? They don't make a Pilot that big. I think you actually are jumping a Solo. That is the student Hybrid version you have there. ZP on top F111 on the bottom.

As you go to smaller canopies and start loading them more it gets easier to use the front risers. Good to see that you are trying to learn how to use them. Although I would still really focus on the basics right now at your stage. I would be worried more about learning flat turns and flying a proper landing pattern and accuracy right now then the front risers. Just be careful and play around way up high.
Dom

At this point,I pretty much listen to the instructor as to what I am flying. I swear he said a Pilot 250, but I could be wrong.
I am trying to get the flat turns down right now. The DZO said flat turns will save my life someday, so I thought I should practice.
As for accuracy, I was landing within about 50 m of the target up until recently. Now if I land within 200 m, I am happy.

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."

Next time you jump it, look up under canopy. It should have the name right there at the leading edge of the center cell. See if it says Pilot or Solo.

If it says Pilot then I am going to kick Aubrey's ass. I had a customer that wanted a Pilot 230 and he said the biggest they make is a 210 in the Pilot.

He is right about the flat turns! They saved my ass on Sunday. Don't think I would have died but it would have hurt if I didn;t know how to do them.

Other then the names of the canopies, it seems your instructors seem to be teaching you the important things.;)
Dom