FreeflyVan

Any private pilots training to be load pilots?

Hey there all,

I'm a private recreational pilot, new to skydiving, and thinking of becoming a load pilot at a local dropzone.

I'm just curious if any people on these forums have a private pilot's license, are skydivers or learning to skydive, and are wanting to be load/jump pilots for the same dropzone they jump out. What's the proctocol regarding pay and interacting with jumpers and other pilots.

Feel free to either PM or send me email.

Cheers.

Usually, you have to be known to the DZO as a good pilot. Then they will take you under their wing and teach you how they want the plane flown. Mostly it's a political thing.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Mark,
There is an excellent jump pilots' manual on the Australian Parachute Federation's website.
Back in the good-old-days - when I had a private pilots license and a hundred hours, I just leased an airplane and started flying jumpers.
However, Transport Canada changed all that when they insisted that even the smallest DZs follow Air Canada's business model with commercially registered airplanes, commercial pilots, operating manuals, etc. Why they want DZs to follow the business model of a bankrupt airline is a mystery to every skydiver in Canada.
The bottom line is that if you want to fly jumpers at Pitt Meadows, you need a minimum of a commercial pilot license and 250 hours. Then you have to convince the airplane owner that you will be gentle with his airplanes, not annoy the air traffic controllers and sweep a million hangars.
Hee! Hee!

Not -exactly- sure of the rules up in Canada, but in the U.S. you'll at least need a commercial pilot certificate in order to fly jumpers for any business or club. Don't worry, that's not quite as big a deal as it sounds, only 250 hours and just slightly more sophisticated than what you're doing now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not -exactly- sure of the rules up in Canada, but in the U.S. you'll at least need a commercial pilot certificate in order to fly jumpers for any business or club. Don't worry, that's not quite as big a deal as it sounds, only 250 hours and just slightly more sophisticated than what you're doing now.

Some DZs may have higher hours requirements than this for insurance reasons.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

True. A pilot with a wet commecial ticket probably isn't going to get a gig dropping skydivers at a large DZ, however, they probably could, if they looked around a bit, get one at a smaller Cessna DZ or club.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If you want to skydive, don't do it!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hee! Hee!
Flying the airplane is as much fun as jumping!
Just don't tell the guy who signs the paychecks.
Oh, wait a minute, the guy who signs my paychecks is a pilot and he always hogs the pilot's seat in the King Air.
Hmm???

Hey Beerlight and riggerrob,

Thanks for your suggestions, and thanks to everyone that replied to my posting.

The commercial pilot licensing is not a problem, I been flying since I was 19 and have progressed through private pilot, instrument rating, and multiengine IFR. Because I used to be a medivac nurse I got a Rotorcraft-Helicopter private pilot and an instrument rating certificate, but not the commercial license. Now I like that kind of jumping, out of a heli.

I wouldn't feel right about "borrowing" another load pilot's plane, and I can't imagine the insurance liability so it sounds like I should have my own jump plane. In any case, I have a bit more thinking to do!

I actually enjoy flying more than jumping at this point, but we've still got a big mortgage so buying another plane to refit for jump loads is not in the cards right now.

Cheers.