loopysteph

Oooops, I bought a Rig!

So there I was, minding my own business....
when all of a sudden, there it was, on EBAY, a pretty purple parachute. (thats about the extent of my eqpt knowledge) so I thought, "what the heck? I'll just make a bid! Somebody will definately outbid me on this, and I then can say that I have finally broke my proverbial EBAY cherry"
Well, I won. Am now the proud new momma of a RWS Vector II V2.2 container, with PD 193 Seven Cell Main, Reserve Paraflight Swift Plus 175, Cypres, and Matching Gear Bag.
-to my hubby, "uh, honey? We need to talk"
so my question is, did I do good? I know its a litle big, but I don't have my A yet, I am not even current, and I'm not in any kind of hurry. Is there charasterics of a vector that I should be worried about? is this a horrible rig for a newbie? I have taken it to my rigger for the works, but those people barely know me anymore. Any info appreciated.

P.S. From my very limited knowledge it looks to be in great shape. Very clean.

Steph-
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? I see you jump at Mile High, that is a factor too. (Takes away about one full canopy size, maybe more if you're young to the sport... and uncurrent). Without actually seeing it, I think the rig in and of itself was a good deal. You do need it to fit decently though. There is no such thing as a rig that "fits someone 5'5"-6'". This a wide variance, and thigh diameter is a factor too.

Safe Jumping-
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Assuming that you weight less than 170 pounds and ask an instructor to explain the difference in how a 7-cell lands, you should be fine.
Note: no-one in their right mind - not even the crazy canopy formation guys - load F-111 7-cells much more than one pound per square foot.

That's not a bad first rig at all - yeah it's older and the main is all F111 but for someone who can't afford newer stuff it'll likely do you just fine for now.

Did you try it on before you took it to your rigger?

The only downside to a VectorII is that there is some velcro on it. Some people will tell you it's not safe to freefly with; if you do a search on Vector in the Gear and Rigging forum you can find a few threads that discuss mods to make a VectorII more "freefly friendly."

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? How many jumps on the container, reserve and main?

Seems the winning bid was $1500, 250 jumps on main, 0 on reserve, doesn't say on the container, also includes a 11/94 Cypres that had it's service in 11/02 and a battery put in on 01/02.

The container looks nice in the pics.

I couldn't get the leg straps very tight

I'd suggest trying it on again in front of your rigger (or someone else who knows how a harness should fit). You may want to have the legstraps and/or legpads shortened.

Not a bad price for what you got, maybe a little high. I'd figure the main to be worth $300-400, container about the same, reserve $400-500 and Cypres around $200-$250.

My first container was a 8 year old vector II with velcro i bought on student status. My only complaint was the velcro riser covers. If it wasn't new velcro, it would peel open in time with shifting on the way to altitude. I think you got a good deal on it. It's a good RW container . I wouldn't recommend sit flying on old velcro though. Nothing gets your attention like a bumblebee over your shoulder and you see a flapping riser. makes an odd opening at best.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Had that one last year on a borrowed rig... Nice big blueish bruise on the inner side of my bicep from the smacking handle during the opening...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

why?

>>Off topic <<<
combat wombat makes a good point :|

I'd agree .... As to the "why" ?...
a..The harness adjustment, certainly down through to the legstraps, should stay secured throughout your canopy descent, since the symettry carries right up through to the risers. Imbalanced legstraps, can effect the balance of your parachute, and induce a turn...
b ... the looser the legstraps.. the lower you hang,, and further you are from your toggles and slider...so not such a good idea...:)
c.... our entire body weight is supported in that harness "saddle".. and an attempt to loosen "just a little CAN result in having the hardware slip right to the end...[:/]:S :( ..... NOw...
after you land.....:ph34r: Loosen those babies up...!!.B|;)..
. so you are comfortable when you high 5 ... all your jumping buddies...B| :)... as for the rig.. it looks like a good move...B|