TribalTalon

Fitness of tandem instructors

this is a pretty controversial question, but where do you draw the line at who is not physically fit to be a tandem instructor? just curious as to what the dz.com world thinks about this. (basically, i'm talking about size-wise, either too small or too tall, too heavy, whatever, but can also apply to injuries or whatever) and also, should the dzo say something to the instructor, or is the instructor expected to pull themselves out if needed. ready... set... go. :)

Doing tandems naturally requires some level of fitness. If you are not fit you wont be doing them that often if nothing else out of sheer lack of enjoyment... There are a good level of abuses your body takes as the TM on a very busy day of TM'ng and some of it you dont notice till later, specifically the next morning on a day of not jumping.

Personally I am pretty fit, not the top of my game as I was in my mid to early 20's but hell we cant be like that all of the time. I dont have a problem with jumping a good number of tandes each day. Othe factors that also make a difference include if your comming out of an otter (lower body stress) compared to a cessna 182 (higher body stress). Also packing is a big energy sucking task.

That may not specifically answer the question you stated but just on a physical or a fittness level this can be and is very self regulating for the above noted stresses. If the TM is doing his job, pairing up with appropiate passangers and follows the limits his body is giving him or her, then your question is moot. BUT, If there is a problem or an issue that is noted becuse of the physical fittness of a TM that is resulting in a safety issue then yes somebody like the S&TA, DZO, Chief Instructor needs to probably step in and say something.....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Could it be cause the TJM is over training the student? I've seen some TJM who try to teach a first jump class to a person that is coming out to do one Tandem. The TJM was always holding up the loads while he was "talking" to his student.

I'm with Keith on this, this is an issue for the DZO to talk to the TJM. The DZO may not see it as a problem. If that is the case, then take your time getting to the loading area, when you know that TJM is on the load.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

this is a pretty controversial question, but where do you draw the line at who is not physically fit to be a tandem instructor?

Simply put, you have to be able to pass an FAA mandated Class III medical. It's not the most rigorous of procedures, but it's the same medical that just about every private pilot in the USA has.

Tandem is pretty wearing on you over time. I believe everyone has a number of tandems in them, and when you've done them, your body will pretty much let you know.

hmm what if this dz waits for the tm, even though the person may be always consistantly late.

Those tandems, not your fun jumping, are what pays for your airplane. Letting the props spin for a couple of minutes waiting for a tandem or AFF is much more cost efficient than sending a load light without it, that's just the economics of the sport.

Size isn't always the thing that best defines a good TM.
If you are relying on your physical strength for doing all you work on tandems, you will soon wear out!
Finesse, technique AND alittle STAMINA are something you need to keep you going all day.
If you master the technique of doing tandems, ANY size student become relatively easy.
The heat will get you at times and slow you down, but some good food and some CARB intake, such as CarboFuel will keep you on your toes till sunset.;)
As for the hung over TM's? 2 words....Bye ByeB|
And thats for the DZM to handle.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

economics of the sport.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean the DZ is not there to cater to my needs only? :ph34r:

90%+ of the new jumpers have no concept of the economics of running a DZ. All they know is their gear cost.

The same thing as wanting to do whatever they please and when reprimanded it pisses them off. [:/]

Anyway, to answer the original question at hand; I know what my limit is when doing tandems or fun jumping.

The heat will get you at times and slow you down, but some good food and some CARB intake, such as CarboFuel will keep you on your toes till sunset.

That sounds good but here in the Florida Sun & Humidity that does not always work. It is brutal in the summer! :SB|

LATERS,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES