jeepnjump

I'm back!

It has been two and a half years since my last jump. Went to safety day two weeks ago, and was all set to jump last weekend, but mother nature had other plans. Spent the week thinking of nothing but jumping. Went to the dz yesterday, but once again, mother nature wouldn't cooperate.

Woke up this morning to clouded over skies. Waited an hour or so, it looked like it was starting to clear (the forcast was for partly sunny in the morning, clouding up by afternoon. Headed to the dropzone anyway. thirty minutes later, I'm on the plane!!! Boy was I nervous, that feeling everyone gets after a layoff, only this was a two and a half year layoff. Because of this layoff, I had to jump with an instructor (thanks Preston), he could tell I was nervous (he later told me he was a little worried because I was so nervous, but that I relaxed as soon as I was out the door- that always happens).
Anyway, we left the plane, I actually did a "woohoo" as I left, did all the stuff I was supposed to, basically an AFF level 4, pulled at 5500, and landed fairly close to the peas.

I have lost 35 pounds since I last jumped, and the instructor actually told me I need to arch more, that I fall slow!!! I have never been told that!! I was always told I fall too fast!! My belly always took care of the arch for me, now that it is gone, I need to do it myself.

What a feeling, I feel like I am home again. During the course of the last two and a half years, I was going to sell my gear a couple times, it was my wife that stopped me, she new I would jump again. As usual, she was right. I can't believe this sport. I can't believe I do this, I can't believe I didn't do it for so long. The air is where I belong. You people are the only ones that understand this, family and friends don't understand why you would do it more than once, if you do it at all.

Anyway, since it is Easter, I had to go to my brothers house for dinner (he lives ten minutes from the dz), so after my first jump, I went to his house for a couple hours, then back to the dz and made another jump!!

One more thing to add to this already long post, I want to thank everyone at Skydive New England, you guys are the best, you have all made me, my wife and kids feel very welcome. Oh yeah, and the new otter rocks!!!

thanks all,

Tony

I know exactly how you feel! I had a break for a year in 2002 cos so much other stuff was going on. I almost quit completely but thought I would give it one more go... that was 130 jumps and a boogie ago.B|

I can't believe I ever even thought of quitting! :S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

CONGRATS!!
Welcome back to the sky.

BTW.. I think your WIFE Rocks!! ;)

You have no idea how great she is. She likes coming out to the dz with me (as do the kids), she has never told me not to jump, and tells me she is alright with it because it makes me happy. When I first started she was a little apprehensive. but after spending a couple days at the dz and seeing that people aren't bouncing every other load, she was alright with it. I would love for her to at least try a tandem, but she won't, and I don't push it. She is the best non-jumping spouse a jumper could hope for.

Tony

Congratulations on getting back in the air! You should have seen your face when you landed... it was the "how did I not do this for the past 2.5 years?" look!

And welcome to our DZ!! Happy to have ya' and glad you feel at home :)

Blue ones
Dave
My site...

After 1 tandem and 4 AFF jumps in 3 months I gave up on skydiving for never being able to get in the air[:/], bad time of year weather wise. Came back about 3 1/2 years ago so nervous that after getting in the plane during the refresher and a weather hold that later in the day when the weather cleared I refused to jump but promised to sleep on it and come back the next day. I was shaking like a leaf on the ride to altitude but kept reminding myself of how good I felt once I left the door. Turned out to be the best exit and jump ever.:)
Welcome back to our wonderful reality!! Also nice to have the support of the wife and family!:)