saming

how many skydivers in the world?

Working on an assignment at uni and need some numbers... Do anyone know the answere, or where I can find them?
Also interested in distribution in the different parts of the world: north america, south america, europe, asia, australia
Has the number of jumpers been increasing the later years? at what rate?

sam

From page 6 of the minutes of the last BPA AGM (http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/council/AGM%20Minutes%2024%2001%2004.doc)

Membership Figures:
I am pleased to announce that our provisional membership figures are up by 13%. Temporary memberships also increased by 9%. Perhaps the most important figure in terms of the strength of our Association can be found in the number of our full memberships. We first broke through the 5000 barrier in 2001, and I am happy to announce that our full membership for 2003 increased by another 5% on 2002. Full time membership now stands at 5660.

Anybody who completes a solo freefall jump in the UK is required to get full BPA membership (except foreigners who have membership of their own contries equivilent, I think).

Anybody who completes a solo freefall jump in the UK is required to get full BPA membership (except foreigners who have membership of their own contries equivilent, I think).

When I lived in the UK, the local DZ wanted me to get a full BPA membership even though I was a USPA member. I didn't have an A license though so that may have had something to do with it.

Back to the question....here's the US organization: http://www.uspa.org/
I too don't have enough experance to know the dynamics.......

german association www.fallschirmsportverband.de.

The association was founded 10 years ago and license nubers are at 10-12K (Sequentially). This would round up to about 10K active jumpers in Germany, which, my guestimate, is a bit too high in terms of actual numbers. They should have pretty exact numbers until 2003, when the license became valid lifelong with currency to be proven by log entries. Until then, active licences had to be renewed every two years with proof of currency. So they should know how many active licences there are.

If you hunt all the numbers down, please post the result, would be interesting.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I did several solo freefalls in the U.K. (at more than one DZ) while on a business trip. I only had to take temporary BPA membership once - it was valid for the length of my stay.