shmali

At what point do you waste a perfectly good pack job

The uglier packjobs are always my favorite! They open nicer! I have perfected the ugly packjob! (well actually i havent had enough practice yet). But with the Sabre...just roll the nose, stuff it in the bag, and it will be the softest opening!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

This damn thing wants always to open:P

I always check some points:

1. Slider in position
2. Clear lines
3. Clear line stows
4. Clear bridle routing

Yep!!! Have you ever watched Danny Page pack? If the lines are straight any pack job stands a good chance of opening.

I have seen two bag locks caused by line stows getting over each other.

I haven't had a mal in many years and I pack like crap.

Ed

When I first got my own rig and started packing I was really scared but it ddin't take me long to realise that even the shitest of shit packs opens! As long as the general principle is there (however mangled), stows are ok (bag lock baaadd), and bridle routing ok then its all good B|

When I first got my own rig and started packing I was really scared but it ddin't take me long to realise that even the shitest of shit packs opens! As long as the general principle is there (however mangled), stows are ok (bag lock baaadd), and bridle routing ok then its all good

Well you dont have to worry about shit pack jobs anymore since you're a whuffo now B|B|B|

Stop being a slacker and come down and do a jump again! :P

I will remember thisB|. You want a free pack job on that napkin-sized piece of fabric you call a canopy?

How'd I miss this? I could have saved my energy for napping this weekend. If you really want to pack it, say the word. :)
Another way to look at the question from the original poster, is this.

If the pack job is perfectly good, why waste it? Go jump it. If it's NOT perfectly good then teach the person to make it that way so you can go jump it.

I'll jump lots of pack jobs. However, if I really feel it's not perfectly good, ... or good enough, then I'm not wasting anything.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I will remember thisB|. You want a free pack job on that napkin-sized piece of fabric you call a canopy?

How'd I miss this?

You probably subconsciously blocked this memory because deep down inside you knew it would be a bad idea! :P

But back to the topic... How do you know if a packjob is good or not? I mean once you roll it all up there's no way to see what's going on inside. I'm pretty sure my packjobs aren't the greatest but heck they've all opened so far.

How about this: have you ever thought a packjob sucked but jumped it anyway and had to chop? Have you ever thought a packjob was absolutely perfect and had to chop? Is there really a correlation between the quality of a packjob and malfunctions? I guess it's hard to know because if we were *certain* that a particular packjob would end in a cutaway the rig would most likely get repacked... :S

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

It's difficult to say if a pack job would end up in a malfunction resulting in a cutaway. In fact it can be very difficult to actually pack a malfunction.

You'd be surprised what works. It's a parachute so it's designed to open. You can direct some of the opening characteristics and some you can't.

The one thing that concerns me the most is hard openings. If the person packing my rig controls the slider, and it appears to be going in the bag symetrically as it's being crammed into the bag, I'm pretty willing to give it a go.

Loose control of it then it's no longer perfectly good.

We can fix the method of controlling a parachute either after it's jumped, or after flailing enough to require starting over.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto