steve1

Jumping in Canada

As soon as my ear infection clears up I plan on going to Moose Jaw to make some jumps. I guess I need to join the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association first for about $80. Is this required at all DZ's in Canada, or just at some? Thanks....Steve1

I think it depends. If you read the USPA insurance coverage on your membership, it states that any case must be brought in the UNited States... I know my dropzone made me get CSPA. Also, if you have an accident that causes damage to a 3rd party at a CSPA dropzone, CSPA insurance fund will not help the dz and in order for you USPA insurance to work, the injured party would have to sue you or the dz in the states... which is highly unlikely.

If you are only going for a short visit, most Canadian DZs will honor your USPA membership.

However, if you plan on jumping in Canada for more than a few months, they will ask you to join CSPA so your errors will be covered by CSPA's third party liability insurance.

this came up at our safety day on the weekend, and as i understand it, it works like this:

an american resident with a uspa membership is covered at cspa and uspa dropzones

a canadian resident with a cspa membership is covered at uspa and cspa dropzones

a canadian resident with a uspa membership is not covered at a cspa dropzone

an american resident with a cspa membership is not covered at a uspa dropzone.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

CSPA insurance (and Defense Fund) for individual members currently works like this.

Insurance is not valid for CSPA members residing outside of Canada (note no nationality restrictions) and jumping outside of Canada, but is valid while they are jumping Canada.

Insurance is valid worldwide (for members residing in Canada), but the claim must be initiated in Canada (that’s the big one), and must be at an affiliated drop zone (CSPA).

It’s a $2 million 3rd party bodily injury and property damage resulting from the act of parachuting only. CSPA BSR’s and technical recommendations must be followed. There is also a $10,000 defense fund for legal fees.

A CSPA AIM (Accident, Incident, Malfunction) report must be sent to the CSPA head office within ten days of the incident.

Now for USPA insurance, I’m not sure but I think it is similar, mainly in that the claim must be initiated on US soil. Not to likely if you’re jumping in Canada, so basically you are jumping without insurance.

Hope that helps.

Sean

Insurance is valid worldwide (for members residing in Canada), but the claim must be initiated in Canada (that’s the big one), and must be at an affiliated drop zone (CSPA).

You're kidding right? (I'm sure you're not... Its just the 1st time I ever hear this)

So basically, everytime you jump out of contry, since not too many DZs are CSPA, we're not covered?
Remster

Sorry, not kidding. It’s not as much the CSPA DZ issue it’s the unlikely event that an insurance claim would be initiated in Canada when it has occurred in another country.

As far as I know this is the same for USPA members jumping in other countries.

Sean

I was jumping in Europe for a long time and becasue of these insurance issues with USPA and CSPA, i had to get yet another insurance carrier! It was for Zurich. The good thing was is that it was not through a parachute organization and you would be covered anywhere in the world. The catch is, most dropzones in North America require their particular organizations insurance making the zurich one redundant. I dont understand why it has to be this way. Life would be so much easier if we could have a universal insurance such as the one i had. It was also cheap as well. About 70 CAD for the year! No magazones though[:/]