BigM

World Record...or not?

A guy at work (non-jumper, but reliable source of information) said last week he saw a piece of a TV news story about some type of hot air balloon skydive world record. Said it was in Germany (or at least it was a German jumper) and he thought he heard them say it was 33,000 feet. Said it looked like a regular hot air balloon, and that there was some sort of malfunction with the pilot's O2 system and he ended up passing out.
I have looked through the posts here but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this... maybe saw the same news story?

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

6 miles of horizontal travel is certainly not remarkable, not enough detail in the article to really know what he did.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

para-glided down to earth for 6.2 miles at a speed of 124 mph.

6.2 miles would be good... for e Classic BM suit... 124 mph is incredible for a paraglider though....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks guys. That was probably it. I am always having my non-jumping friends coming to me (to see if I've heard) whenever they hear news of a skydiving nature. They almost never have anything I haven't already heard about, thanks in a large part to this NG. I told him if it was a real skydiving world record, it would be nearly impossible for this group to not already be discussing it... probably well before it even happens. Thanks again.

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Yes, it was a paragliding stunt. My local news also called it a 'skydiving world record' and I rushed over from the other room only to see a paraglider under canopy in flight being shown.

And yeah, 33,000' from a balloon was mentioned in the same breath.

It didn't get posted here 'cause we all know Cheryl Sterns is going to break the -real- record soon. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

6 miles of horizontal travel is certainly not remarkable, not enough detail in the article to really know what he did.

OK... the 6.2 miles was his VERTICAL distance, not horizontal. 33,000 feet divided by 5280 (feet in a mile) = 6.25 miles. All he really did was set a record for the highest static line using a paraglider.

Blue 111-
Jeff

not a static line, was a freebag apparently...

Picky, picky, picky.B| I know, I used the term static line to simplify. It was "statically" attached to the balloon. No freefall deployment. And from the pic I saw, it looked like he didn't have a rig on (for back-up). Fairly ballsy, none-the-less.

Blue 111-
Jeff