ReLLiK75

HALO Cert and military rig, but no USPA license...Can he jump?

I met a guy the other day who is HALO certified and has a military rig. If he takes his certification to a DZ, say Deland, can he jump even though he is not USPA licensed? He really wants to do some jumping so I told him I'd try to find out whether or not his HALO cert is any good in the recreational world of skydiving.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you jump at a USPA DZ, you have to be a USPA member. Also, most USPA DZs follow the BSRs. He'll need a license of some kind.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think most USPA drop zones will require USPA membership. They usually also require a USPA license. If your friend has a bunch of experience that will translate well to a civilian environment he may be allowed to make a few jumps, but most drop zones will expect him to get a license if he intends to keep jumping on the civilian side.

Your friend should call the specific drop zone(s) he wants to visit and discuss his situation. The DZ will want to know when he was trained, how many jumps he has, when he last jumped, how current he is. They will also want to know about the type of equipment he is using, when and how it was packed, and by whom. Each drop zone will make their own assessment. Some may require additional training, most will probably also want to meet with your friend on a non-busy day.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Does the USPA have a process of recognised prior learning. Where he can get an equivalent license without having to re-do everything ???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

From the USPA SIM:

"3-1 B. 4. License qualifications made during military training jumps may be properly recorded on the application for that USPA license and verified by the appropriate USPA Official."

That being said, if he were to choose to seek a USPA license, he would simply:

-Obtain a copy of his MFF jump logs
-Use them to create a logbook
-Join USPA
-Find a USPA I, S&TA, or appropriate official to give him the exam(s) and sign his application.
Arrive Safely

John

I met a guy the other day who is HALO certified and has a military rig. If he takes his certification to a DZ, say Deland, can he jump even though he is not USPA licensed?

Yes. You don't need to be a member of the USPA to jump in the US...Only at a USPA member DZ.

I can rent a plane, file a notam, get permission from a landowner and jump all day. I can also start taking students out AFF or even just kick them out solo from 10 grand or even 1 grand if I want all day long...None of that is illegal.

BSR's are NOT FAR's

And yes a person can jump without a license even at a USPA DZ...Students don't have a license. The USPA only requires you to join the USPA.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Isn't USPA membership if jumping at a USPA DZ only mandatory if you are a US resident? Just curious, b/c i was jumping in Lake Wales earlier this year and didn't become a USPA member...
Still this year i had to become a CSPA member as i am considered to be a canadian resident by my DZO... ;)

Edited to add: Oh and of course, i do have a german license (because as a german in Germany, you are required to get a german license, even if you have a foreign one...simple process though).
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Isn't USPA membership if jumping at a USPA DZ only mandatory if you are a US resident? Just curious, b/c i was jumping in Lake Wales earlier this year and didn't become a USPA member...

I don't know.

I THOUGHT you had to be a USPA member to jump at a USPA DZ....

But I don't know....Anyone?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

We had a guy show up at our DZ a while back who was a former recon marine and also HALO qualified. He had no other jump experience though. The owner of our club planned to let him jump after some refresher training.

When I started jumping again after a 25 year lay-off I had no license. Most of us didn't bother with licenses back in the 70's. So after making 20 or 30 jumps at my home DZ (which was also a USPA club) I figured I'd do some traveling and take my rig along. I showed up at Skydive, Oregon with intentions of getting on an Otter. I had my old log books to show but the only license I could produce was an old chest pack rigger's license. The manager (Blake) wouldn't let me jump, because it was against the rules. Finally after a lot of begging he offered to take me up on a check out dive. Things went well so they let me make several more jumps even though I didn't have a license. So, I guess it depends on the DZ whether you get on a load or not without a license......Steve1