skyejumper

Questions for skysurfers

I wish I could post the video of LewMonst trying to kick the board off and just about forgetting to flare. It had got stuck on her toe and would'nt come off as she tried to kick it.

Been there, done that.

I keep trying to get Douva to surf it across the back pond but he won't do it.:D Maybe it will be one of those "here hold my beer" moments this weekend.:o:D:D

Have you seen that pond lately? After the last seven months of rain, it's been officially dubbed Lake Fentress. I don't mind giving it a try, but I'd like to have a rigger pull my cypress first (and I might like to track down a lifejacket, also).

--Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Woah!!! In Namibia, you need 500 jumps min and a D-License. Plus be able to hold a stand-up for +-5000'.
100 jumps min is ridiculous IMO.

So, what if you can hold a stand for 6,000,' then transition into a "tee position," do a six-second flat spin in the "tee position," and then execute a triple back layout, but you only have 100 jumps? Is the 500 jump RW queen who just learned last weekend to hold a stable stand really the more qualified candidate for skysurfing? I'm not really recommending 100 jump wonders take up skysurfing; I'm just trying to point out how arbitrary most jump number requirements are. Everybody seems to think their country's standards or their drop zone's standards or their personal standards should be THE standards, but the truth is, some people are ready to undertake certain disciplines and activities with far fewer jumps than other people. The best standard is a knowledgeable coach or instructor who can make a sound judgment call based on the student's experience and skill level.

Blue skies,

Douva
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Maybe some people are ready much earlier then others. Those few people are not for whom the rules are... I think the experience of say 500 FS jumps is still experience. Maybe 500 CReW or accuracy jumping are less appropriate, but that's where the freestyle requirements come in. At 150 jumps, I know I was still a student in that I had plenty to do in the air without getting distracted by something else like a camera, wingsuit, surfboard. For that kind of stuff, you need at least 200 jumps plus some other stuff here. So most people first try one of these things when they have (way) more then 200 jumps. I think that's a good thing...

There will always be people who think they are ready much sooner. I admit we have a whole lot of rules here.... Common sense should make a lot of them unnecessary but apperantly it does not. But we also don't have a lot of skysurf champions running around to make the call. The rules are generalisations, obviously. But they seem to work...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

In Reply To
------------------------------------------------------------I keep trying to get Douva to surf it across the back pond but he won't do it. Maybe it will be one of those "here hold my beer" moments this weekend.
------------------------------------------------------------
Have you seen that pond lately? After the last seven months of rain, it's been officially dubbed Lake Fentress. I don't mind giving it a try, but I'd like to have a rigger pull my cypress first (and I might like to track down a lifejacket, also).
-----------------------------------------------------------
You can borrow Zoe's water wings.:P

"I made the occasional jump out of my drop zone's Cessna"

Blue skies,

Douva

Yep, and we still have the skidmarks from your board on the side of the plane to prove it:P

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa