bluskidave

Snowflake/dislocated shoulder

I just wanted to compliment John on his one armed landing that he pulled off Saturday.His left shoulder was dislocated on exit and he managed to land his canopy using only his right arm.After listening to his ordeal I would think that it would be prudent to practice this manuever up high just in case.Again great job and I hope the shoulder mends quickly.

I've actually practiced one-arm landings, and I think it's a great lesson - you learn to reach between risers to grab the toggles, and also to expect your flare to be a little uneven.

I've heard of a lot of dislocated shoulders in this sport - I think belly flyers are more susceptible, since most of the dislocations I've seen/heard of are people holding on tightly while trying to chunk exits. Freefliers aren't to the point yet where they are chunking exists as much as belly fliers, but it looks like that's changing too.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Mine happened with no grips in a sit - craziest thing to see my arm above me in a sit flailing around like a wet noodle completley useless to me. It was an old worn out shoulder. People need to be VERY careful when jumping with known shoulder seperation injuries because they will not heal themselves. The ligaments are not elastic and will not heal once a person starts dislocating their shoulders, it will continually get weaker. I had to have my fixed with a knife. At the very least, physical therapy is highly suggested - lift weights, work on all the surrounding muscle groups.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Ah crap...I've got a weak left shoulder. Dislocations resulting from indoor soccer and years of snowboarding. 3 dislocations from snowboarding in the last 3 years.

No dislocations in mid-air or while landing, but these posts make me wonder how long I can keep saying that....

*sigh* surgery...physical therapy...

how long was your recovery?
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Damn that's scarry! Was it your right? If it was did you go to reserve? or did you get deployed with your left? I've got a pull out ...shit i'm gonna practice on the ground with my left! By the way, your signature gets my vote for the best on this site...if not the best I've seen! Can I steal it if I promise not to use it here?

Who said it? or is it original?
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos