Bethaney

Finished AFF L3 Monday, but seeking advice.

Hello! I passed my AFF Level 3 class on Monday but am a bit apprehensive for 4 mainly because I barely passed.

I know that sounds terrible, so let me explain.

Check in, check out, prop, squat, exit, arch. 12345, report report. Alt check followed by a practice pull, alt check and stability and both instructors release me.

I immediately start turning to my right, but a very slow, steady and controlled turn. I try to get myself to turn left to get back to my heading but didn't go deep enough. (Never was out of control, just didn't emphasize enough on my turn to get back to main heading). Instructors re-dock and I focus on main heading again. They release and I start turning to my left this time (still very stable and under control, just slowly turning) and again, I didn't go deep enough to my right to get back to main heading so they re-dock again. At about 7,000 they release, I held and maintained my heading steady til 6,000 where I locked in on my alt and held until wave off and pull at 5,500.

My best chute flight and landing yet which I felt really good and happy about. (My first AFF I had line twists and closed end cells which I corrected but it threw me off a bit and my 2nd I got stuck in a downwind and wasn't able to do a proper landing pattern, but still managed to do a downwind landing and land safely). But this was the first one that went very well and I was very confident in.

I'm seeking advice from more people with experience. My instructors passed me. They say I have good body awareness and control and that I am not a danger in the sky, I just really need to go deeper on my turns. I feel like because I've learned to do movements with subtlety rather than drastically I just wasn't going hard enough. But the entire purpose of my AFF3 was to maintain heading and hold and correct myself if I turn. Though I tried to correct myself I didn't quite nail it. But I did end up getting released and maintaining my heading at the end and was able to pull at correct alt.

So I suppose my question to you guys is, do you think I should repeat Level 3 before advancing to 4 just to be more comfortable? Should I go to the nearest wind tunnel and practice there before advancing to 4 (would this be beneficial)? Or should I just move on to level 4 knowing mentally what I need to be prepared for and what I need to put more into? I'm asking because I love skydiving, and I want to be doing it correctly and safely. I feel comfortable in freefall (not tense, etc.) and I was aware of what I didn't do once I landed. Part of me feels like this is something I have to create the muscle memory for and get used to since I have only jumped 3 times.

I'm apprehensive because I know I am only jumping with one instructor on 4, and I need to be able to do 90 degree turns in both directions. I feel like I can do it but just want to see what others input might be.

Thanks for your time! Happy and safe jumping and many blessings from SoCal.

Relax. You held a heading, and had a stable, solo pull. You passed the jump.

So the very first time you were flying solo in freefall, you had a slight drift to the right. The next time, seconds later, you were released and had a slight left turn. Finally, you held a heading and had a stable pull.

Nobody expects you to be stable right off the bat. Nobody expects you to know how to make corrections right off the bat. It's called a learning progression because you start off not knowing things, and then you learn as you go. You started the jump not being able to hold a heading, and by the end of the jump you could. That's called learning.

Keep in mind that on your next jump, you will be doing a linked exit and only released when your instructor is confident that you are flying stable. After that, your instructor will prompt you as to when you should begin making 90 degree turns, so if for any reason you don't appear to be stable or ready for turns, you will either not be released or not prompted to begin turns. You may just end up falling straight down and holding a heading for the entire jump.

In either case, if your instructors say you passed, then you passed. They are the ones who have to jump with you again, and they know what's involved in Lv 4, and it seems they feel confident taking you up for that jump.

Again, just relax and have some confidence in yourself. It seems your instructors do.

I can relate a bit to being timid with the control. I had control/stability issues and went to Static Line training from AFF. I was instructed, “Do a ten second delay. If you are on the original aircraft heading and stable, you can extend to 15 seconds….you will be plenty high enough for 15.” After exit I started a slow turn to the left. I felt like I didn’t have the level of control needed to arrest the turn and to reverse it. So I tried to relax and just slowly turn the full 360. When I got back on the original aircraft heading I stopped the turn and held the heading. While in that turn, I felt like if I did more than the slightest input that I would blow it. I held back on the input to stay in control. It is just part of the learning process to get the feel of what you are doing and gain the level of confidence that you need.

You might consider asking for some coaching on a trainer table before your next jump. Your instructor should be able to help you improve both form and confidence.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

davelepka

In either case, if your instructors say you passed, then you passed. They are the ones who have to jump with you again, and they know what's involved in Lv 4, and it seems they feel confident taking you up for that jump.

Again, just relax and have some confidence in yourself. It seems your instructors do.

Read this part. Then read it again.

There shouldn't be any need to repeat the level if your instructors passed you.

Tunnel time may be of help, but it shouldn't be necessary.

You said you were stable, that's the big thing. If you aren't capable of doing the turns correctly, then you may have to repeat 4.
Cross that bridge (jump across it :P) when you get to it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A little self doubt is normal and fine. You can hold heading, your unwanted turn was minor, don't worry about it. You are so steep on the learning curve right now I predict you'll do twice as well on your level 4. Remember, your experience level is almost doubling with each jump when you're this new in the sport.

Whatever you do, arch, breathe, relax, watch altitude and pull. B|

If you make your jump too much about methodically hitting all the aspects of each jump, it doesn't leave room for the fun of skydiving. Up until my AFF 7 I was nowhere near good with turning or heading correction, but I was altitude aware and stable so my instructors passed me along. The main concern is whether or not you can safely complete the skydive. Body control takes practice, and 3 jumps is way too early to for you to expect perfection from yourself. People are dead on talking about your instructors feeling comfortable with you completing the skydive, as they are somewhat responsible for your safety (obviously you are ultimately responsible for yourself). Don't take the fun out of your jumps by overanalyzing what you may or may not have done wrong.

Yeah, you're right. I've been over-thinking it.

"You started the jump not being able to hold a heading, and by the end of the jump you could." -This made me feel a lot better. I didn't really acknowledge that until I read this.

After reading everyone's responses, I've realized I got this and just need to take a deep breath and go for it this Monday. And I'm excited to do so. I know they wouldn't have me advance if I weren't ready for it. Thanks for the replies! I appreciate all the advice :)

I've realized I got this and just need to take a deep breath and go for it this Monday.

A couple more thoughts -

First off, going to 1 instructor is not a big deal. The 2nd instructor is there for the 'worst case scenario'. and in most cases isn't really needed at all on any of the first 3 jumps. By the time you make it to Lv 4, if you haven't done anything crazy it's just time to drop the 2nd instructor.

Also, it seems like you're looking at advancement as 'OK, you're ready to do the next level', when in reality what it means is that 'Ok, you're ready to try the next level'. Even though you train to do it perfectly the first time, and your instructors will be positive and upbeat and act as if you will be perfect the first time, nobody expects you to be perfect and you do not have to be perfect to move forward to the next level.

Remember, it's a learning progression. Holding a heading in solo freefall is a bog part of Lv 3, and you did it successfully at one point in the jump. Part of the Lv 4 dive flow is holding a head both before and after your turns, so you'll get some additional practice on your next jump. Truth be told, holding a heading is part of just about every jump you're going to do from here on out, so you'll have lots of chances to practice. There's no need to be 'perfect' the first time, just 'pretty good'.

Give yourself points for holding yourself to a high standard. Don't lose that, just 'adjust' it a more realistic level for now. That attitude will serve you well throughout your jumping career, as it's a game of inches. With the limited time you have to work on your skills with each skydive, and the limited number of skydives you can make in a day, you have to really 'want' to be better to keep the learning momentum going over the course of the 100's or 1000's of jumps you're going to do.

Finally, don't forget that freefall is only one small, and somewhat insignificant part of the skydive. If you can get and remain stable at pull time, you can 'safely' conduct that part of the jump. Canopy control is the skill that will get you down on the ground safely, and let make another jump, so make sure to give it it's due consideration. Work on your accuracy. and make sure you have an understanding of the winds and how to plan/execute a landing pattern before each and every jump. A little bit of preparation and pre-planning can go a long way towards insuring a good outcome, as trying to figure stuff out once you're under canopy is a little late in the game.

Sounds like you are doing a good job to me. Not only that but you are exactly the type of person I would agree to jump with in the future. Too many people are too rushed to go out and get through it all for themselves as fast as possible, without any regard for the other people they are around.

Like almost everyone else has said your instructors are the ones who have to feel confident jumping with you so if they are ready for the next level so are you.

Tunnel time...... I failed my 3rd level PFF (in Canada we call it PFF not AFF). I did spend some time (16 minutes) in a tunnel and it helped me tremendously. Although this may not have been necessary it was a HUGE confidence booster and has made all the difference in the world to my skydiving experience. At repeat level 3 I could always get stable, and maintain a heading. At level four I was with a different instructor and he couldn't believe what I could do with 5 jumps (then I told him about the tunnel and he thanked me for going). Each "flight" was 2 minutes which on average if you jump at 10, 500 and pull at 5500 is four times the average PFF jump freefall time. It sounds expensive but when you cost 30 seconds of freefall x 120 jumps to equal an hour of freefall time its about $3600/hour up here. Tunnel time is about $600/hour with a rather large learning curve.

You have to do what makes you comfortable but it sounds like you are doing great. Just relax and keep learning. The fun will come when you can actually look around for a few seconds and enjoy the view, instead of focusing on learning so much.

Yep, overthinking :)
I agree with davelepka...relax, no instructor is looking for perfection. What we are looking for is aware and controlled (not perfect).

If you really are concerned, go throw $$ to a tunnel and do 15 minutes of practice on heading and turns. But really, it doesn't sound like you need it.

If you have the cash, a tunnel will help with skydiving....period. I understand every ones point about tunnels but "framing " them in a possible negative light and as a cure all for every ailment is not the best use for a tunnel.

You go to the tunnel to have fun and learn,...it's all good :)

I also want to point out that jumpin in the biggining ,... well there is a lot of pressure to do every jump perfectly, and rightly so in many respects. But notice and take some advice from more experienced jumpers and that being there is a big picture and one jump really dosent matter. Let me give an example:

While working on exits a four way team I know of just practiced exits from 3 grand about 30 times! When they got it right,... they just wanted to really nail it so they did it again and again, just to prove it was possible!

The big picture was that in the biggining every jump is disproportunate with all the attention it gets!

On the other hand if your uncomfortable with something, then by all means you can do it again if you want! There is no rule book saying you have to progress at a certain rate, nor is ther any rule book that says if you want to repeat a category jump just for fun,... then just go for it ;)

Way to many people put subtle pressure on students to progress at rates that may or may not be uncomfortable for others.

On the other hand a little friendly competition to perform can sometimes be a motivating force to do the best you can and this can be lot's of great fun and supportive if everything works out in your new found community.

I know it's expensive, and for many each jump is a struggle with how to pay for this. You are not alone with the financial aspect of all of this, we all understand. But it's not a race enjoy each jump, each sunny day with friends, and each and every learning experience. Its all good :)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

If you have the cash, a tunnel will help with skydiving....period. I understand every ones point about tunnels but "framing " them in a possible negative light and as a cure all for every ailment is not the best use for a tunnel.

I don't think anyone here is trying to say bad things about tunnel. It's an absolutely brilliant tool. Particularly in the beginning. It's a great way to get rid of some of the freefall performance anxiety.

On the other hand if your uncomfortable with something, then by all means you can do it again if you want! There is no rule book saying you have to progress at a certain rate, nor is ther any rule book that says if you want to repeat a category jump just for fun,... then just go for it

I absolutely agree. I just believe that sometimes individual students get hung up on perfect. This is particularly true of very intelligent individuals who have up until beginning skydiving, have had little difficulty mastering tasks.

By all means, do it again, but make sure you're doing it for the right reason. Rest assured, if I jumped with you, you and I have discussed each and every targeted learning objective and have agreed on whether you have obtained that objective. Understand, that doesn't mean you are an expert at whatever the skill is, just that you have demonstrated a level of control of the skill.

Well, I'm only a smidge ahead of you in progression having just done level 4. Level 3 was about learning how to correct for some drift and it sounds like you did it perfectly. Its as much a skill as a confidence builder ("I'm not being held! look at me go!"). In terms of what next, I say go for your level 4. You'll need to do 90 degree turns, but if you can correct your heading in freefall, you know how to do this. Take your time. What the worst? You could repeat 4. But instructors tend to REALLY think about who they are releasing to higher levels. If you were unsafe you would be on level 3 still.

My instructors said that when they land they talk about the dive. They had a while whilst you floated down, and they both had to decide you were good to go.

As for prepping for 4 you have a few options: You can practice your turns at home or at the DZ on the ground (use an ottoman or stool to get you off the ground), or if you have the time, I also agree the wind tunnel is a good tool. I'll be there practicing flips and barrel rolls this week (in NH). Why? Well, I'm curious how it feels is really all. You may be curious how a fast and slow turn feels. You can do it with your only risk being hitting the mat ;)

Remember that skydiving is NOT NATURAL. Its not how the brain and body are wired. You have to undo a lot of evolution and relax a lot of stress to get it right.

You've got this. Remember to be confident in yourself, to breathe, to relax, and never forget you CAN do this, and WILL!

Lastly, its good of you to question progression, you should probably talk to your instructors as well, because they will explain why they are confident you are ready. That's what they are there for. They don't want you Z-ing out as much as you don't want to. They take a lot of pride in putting out people they will someday jump with.

Oh, and remember to never stop smiling.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Felt like I should post an update here!

Took AFF 4, had to repeat. I went back the next morning and passed and it was probably my best jump so far.

Have since passed 5 and 6 (no repeats ;)) and am going for 7 tomorrow. If I pass tomorrow I'll be certified! Then can move forward to A license.

Thank you all for your advice, so excited for the years of jumping to come!

Bethaney

Felt like I should post an update here!

Took AFF 4, had to repeat. I went back the next morning and passed and it was probably my best jump so far.

Have since passed 5 and 6 (no repeats ;)) and am going for 7 tomorrow. If I pass tomorrow I'll be certified! Then can move forward to A license.

Thank you all for your advice, so excited for the years of jumping to come!

Congrats!
I need to do my 7 as well... that reminds me... :)
You are not the contents of your wallet.