BikerBabe

What would you do?

I'm glad that you are okay, and that you did bring this subject up. Makes us all think. I guess you did the right thing, cause you're here to tell us about it.

Now, let's talk about that other canopy you have laying around at Adam's;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Deploy my main.

I'd want to have it gone, otherwise I'd risk it deploying when the pressure from the reserve container was gone after initiating deployment on my reserve. Then if it was "cutaway" I would be at risk for an entanglement.

By deploying my main, I'd get one of two things. A deployed main, or a main that has been cutaway. I can evaluate what to do from there.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My freebag costs about $150. Add a zero to that for my main. Plus I'ld hate to have on riser gone and one not. If my handle was anymore that out of the pocket, I would pull the reserve.

If you let a monetary decision affect your emergency procedures, you are a fool.

I would have done the same, pull the cutaway first and then go for the sliver. As someone pointed out before that if the p/c and main pin are in place so the main would not deploy.

There is no guarantee that the main would not deploy as the pressure on the main container from the reserve container is removed by the reserve deployment. If it did you would be likely to have a problem. Think about how the main would be still attached to the rig.

Now..if for some reason the main deploys after your reserve opening (shit happens!!), it should not be a major problem (such as two canopies out or risk of entanglement) cause you have already cut the main away.

With the main "cutaway" in this scenario, an "entanglement is much more likely. If the main were still attached at the risers, you would have a "2 out" situation, which is far more controllable than an entanglement. It's why I practice and advise a "no cutaway" policy for a pilot chute in tow situation on a throwout rig. That and it's wasting time on a high speed malfunction.

but an RSL (if installed) could result in a main/reserve entanglement in the RSL-side 3-ring was the only side that was released

Which is why a rig with a properly installed RSL, and a cutaway handle prepared for it has the cables trimmed in such a way that the non RSL side takes a shorter pull to release. It's why one must be careful or make sure their rigger is when replacing a cutaway handle.

The truly beautiful system for this scenario would be a "Collins Lanyard". Too bad they have barely been accepted by the sport rig market.

Deploy my main.

I thought I already established why this wasn't the most feasible or prudent thing for me to do at the time. Guess I still wasn't clear.

1. Cutaway pillow on back.

2. Arm not long enough and won't bend that way.

Ergo, cannot reach cutaway pillow.

Corollary: Cannot get good enough grip on actual cables to pull cutaway, either.

Best to go with the devil you know (reserve terminal opening) than the devil you don't (spinner on loaded elliptical with possibility of STILL not being able to find the cutaway pillow.

Sigh. I don't know why I'm still arguing. Whatever. I guess there will always be another way, but what action you actually take depends very highly on the situation.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Sigh. I don't know why I'm still arguing. Whatever. I guess there will always be another way, but what action you actually take depends very highly on the situation.

Relax. No argument here.

You asked what would *I* do. I told you, and stated why.

You did everythiung correctly as evidenced by your being here now. Good Job.

Im pretty sure that would not be the thought going through my head. Online Im granted the guft of posting with some humor (albeit bad humor), so like I said I would go straight for the reserve.

As I thought, but there are impressionable people reading this.