foreverfree

IS AIRCRAFT & JUMP PILOT INSURED FOR SKYDIVING?

;)

IS THE AIRCRAFT & JUMP PILOT INSURED FOR SKYDIVING OPERATIONS?

IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE THE 100 HR INSPECTION DONE ON AIRCRAFT USED FOR SKYDIVING OPERATIONS?

I wish to discuss the alternatives to the above requirements in order to operate a USPA group member DZ in the USA.

Please advise.
Any suitable input would be valuable.
BORN FREE
LIVING FREE
FOREVER FREE
FALLING FREE

We're not a group member DZ, so I am not speaking from a member perspective. As far as insurance is concerned, the FAA does not require it. If you have a loan on the aircraft, then the bank will probably require insurance. If you own it outright, then it's your choice. Everybody that gets into the aircraft will sign a waiver even if they are observers. If the aircraft is damaged, then it will have to come out of your pocket. Insurance on small skydiving aircraft is expensive, so if you can go several years without any damage then the money you save on premiums can be used to repair the aircraft.

If you take money from the public, the pilot needs to be commercial rated and 100-hour inspection will need to be performed.

David

It's my understanding, from past posts here, that even if you don't take money from the public, but you skydive (even if just part of a club with your friends), that "the pilot needs to be commercial rated and 100-hour inspection will need to be performed".

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Doesn't matyter what the aircraft is or what it is dong - if it flying it needs to have its 100 hourlies done.

Privately operated (non-commercial use) aircraft in the USA do not require 100 hour inspections. Rental aircraft do, as do aircraft with paying passengers.

No insurance = stupid.

Why stupid? I went without hull insurance most of the years I owned an airplane. Money saved could be spent on avionics and maintenance. I don't carry collision insurance on my car, just liability. Insurance spreads out the risk, but the insurance company takes a sizable cut. Anything I can afford to replace, I probably wouldn't insure, unless I thought I was a higher risk than I was being charged for insurance. It's called being self-insured.

Insurance would be cost prohibitive for all but the most affluent DZ's if it was even available. Even though operated under FAR Part 91 the aircraft is still operated "for hire", same would apply if it was used for flight instruction and absolutely requires 100 hour inspections. Maybe Diverdriver or someone with better knowledge of the Fars would know why skydiving aircraft and flight crew are exempt from Part 135 requirements? And what about aircraft over 12500 lbs. gross weight? You raise an interesting question-- about insurance buut personally I'm concerned about jump pilot qualifications as well as 100 hour inspections and strict apllication of TBO on especially single engine aircraft. Also I strongly agree with headoverheels-I would much rather have insurance premiums spent on appropriate and timely maintenance-remember the majority of the aviation fleet is over 25 years old and would also want the jump pilot to have more than just minimum hours in type.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

It's now Part 119 instead of 135 and skydiving is exempt from the requirements because...it's exempted under 119.1(e)(6). Many things are exempted from the 119/135 requirements such as flightseeing, aerial photography, pipeline patrol, etc.

TBO is made out to be much more important than it really is and does not apply to light aircraft used for skydiving.
SmugMug

Apologies for my horrific spelling in previous post.

In Aus even privately operated machines require 100 hourlies and other maintenance as far as I am aware.

Whole insurance thing is just my opinion. Like a crash helmet, seat belts or a cypres - you hope you won't need it but it is best to have it. Don't let this now become a cypres debate. Just my opinion.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people